Register now to get rid of these ads!

How and where to install a radio in an old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rmak, Apr 22, 2011.

1. rmak

rmak
    from Ohio

New guy question alert!
    I have a 32 style dash in my 29 roadster. I want to put in a radio in the car but I'm about out of dash space and I don't think it would look good sticking out of there anyhow. Where do you guys put a radio in these old cars?

Also wondering if anyone has a suggestion for where to buy a good quality inexpensive radio for this application. Thanks.

2. joelocke

joelocke
    from Tucson

They are not quite inexpensive, but I have a boat radio with CD and Sirius capabilities. They almost all have a plug-in for a remote control operation. You can mount the base anywhere in the car, Trunk or even the engine compartment (waterproof) and the remote is about the size of a small flash drive. Mount it anywhere there is room.
    Joe

3. Gator

Gator

There are several head units made for marine applications that come with small remotes, you can buy one for under a hundred bucks.

I just use an Ipod in all my stuff now, there are a couple of good 'how-to' threads here.

4. banginona40

banginona40

I built a tin box that fit the radio in my coupe and mounted it under the dash. It's pretty hidden not very user friendly but works good and is out of the way. Would work better if it was a remote operated.

5. We used to stuff the old 8-track players out of sight under the front seat.. You could just reach down and adjust by 'feel' after a few days.

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i would personally never put one in a car i'd build, especially a roadster, but thats me... that said, i gotta agree with brother gator and say marine radios are your best bet, but be sure to get a marine enclosure for it as well.

where would i recommend putting it? stuff it under the seat, out of site.

PS, gator... i needs me some gator artwork... you still layin' lines?

7. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Just took the radio out of my roadster and am replacing it with an ipod hooked right to the amp.....it's gonna be awesome!

8. Ole don

Ole don

Under the seat. Just remember to turn the knobs the other way.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

All the new radio/CD players have remotes, so I put mine under the driver's seat in a aluminum plate I built to close off the front of the under seat area. My dash is so shallow with firewall setback that I had few choices. Works great with the remote to change channels and raise/lower volume.

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

install it upside down...

11. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

We have used the newer radios with the small remotes and mounted them under the drivers seat. You can change stations with the remote and stick it under the dash with velcro. It's hidden and easy to grab to change volume and stations. Doesn't muck up the look of your dash that you worked so hard to layout.

12. who needs a radio?

13. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I have never had a radio in a hot rod, wife takes her cd's and player w/ headphones

14. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

I just started thinking about this, I have plenty of space in a '53 chevy, but I want something hidden, so I think I'll take the ipod route!

15. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

iPod and an amp.

If you need to have AM/FM/Sirius etc. then add a Kenwood KOS-A300 to the equation. They are down to about $70 and allow you to connect an iPod, USB drive, Sirius or HD radio box. Most of this stays hidden and all you see is a small LCD display and a wired joystick remote. In my '32, I am mounting the LCD behind a sliding panel in the header.

Attached Files:

16. rmak

rmak
    from Ohio

It's good turned up loud to hide the squeaks and rattles.:D

17. I thought that was what the engine was for. :rolleyes: