Register now to get rid of these ads!

can someone check my new ride out?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big hugh ness, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Please keep us posted on how this turns out.

I can't see how the addition of door handles and wipers will make the car appear stock/unmodified to the inspector and therefore conform to the apparent "no modifications" rule (keeping in mind that I have no idea of the true wording of the law). If no modifications (unless proven to have been performed prior to '89 or whatever) is the rule, I am willing to bet (as others apparently are too) that the gas tank in the trunk, the removal of the hardtop, the shortened and plexiglass windshield, the missing door and side glass, altered suspension and whatever else has been done is cause for an instant "visual fail".

You have several options as I see it ... Follow through with the sale knowing it will pass inspection (assuming you can verify its ability to pass BEFORE shipping it ... why don't you print out the pics and show them to the people that enforce the importation laws ... again this is something that should have been done BEFORE agreeing to purchase). Follow through with the sale and hope/pray the car passes the inspection (and risk spending thousands of $$ for nothing). Follow through with the sale and resell it (at a loss I would assume) in the States (without even bothering to try to import after having determined that it will not pass ... although this option might be a little tough being where you are located). Work out some kind of deal with the seller where you pay a "penalty" ($2000 ?) and walk away from it ... or just plain walk away from it. I am NOT condoning the walking away, I am simply acknowledging that it CAN be done, NOT that it SHOULD be done.

Best of luck

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. QUOTE FROM OP ... "Just wish he'd run with something like paypal instead of direct bank deposit. Ease my mind a bit, and that was the whole point of this post. Know what I am saying?
    Hey, ok, I'll stop being a princess! :p"

I don't see it as you "being a princess", you are risking a LOT of money on something you have not seen with your own eyes. I think you definitely still need to have someone local inspect the car ... if he is installing wipers and door handles, the car should be still in the area and someone local should be able to view it (something that should have been done before agreeing to buy in my opinion).

Again, I hope this deal works out for you.

<!-- / message -->

3. Thanks guys. All good advice. It would be a shitful thing to back out of this deal. Something I have never done in 15 years of ebay. I have sent an email to the Dept of Infrastructure and pleaded with them to take a look at the pictures and give me at least some indication which way the penny is gonna fall. I doubt they will. Govt departments, being what they are, will want to run it by the book, and that means $50 up front and stand in the queue for four weeks.
    I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
    Good news is the current owner is very understanding and isnt pushing me for the cash, but I dont want to stuff him around either.

4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

My thoughts exactly

5. "It would be a shitful thing to back out of this deal"

I hear you on that ... BUT ... IF the seller listens to your story (assuming you verify that it can't be imported) and agrees to allow you to pay a "penalty", he gets some money for nothing (and still has the car to sell) and you end up learning the ins and outs of your importation laws for a LOT less than it could have cost you (again, this is after verifying that the car will definitely not pass inspection, which is something some of us are only assuming at this point).

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Yeah, if I were you, I'd leave the $1000 as a lesson learned and walk from that deal. Aside from the importing issues that you will be experiencing, that you spent almost 14K on that particular vehicle is almost stunning. You can peruse the classifieds here and find vehicles much more reasonably priced, and that offer you much more for your money.

With all due respect to the builder, it doesn't look like it was a vehicle that was assembled with care, but was rather put together with resale in mind. There are subtle indications like the lack of stainless trim, the saggy door panels and generally sub-par upholstery, the fuel cell just mounted to the trunk floor with copper fuel line sticking out of it... all little indications that quality was not high on the priority list. Chances are the body work is not especially good in light of the other work as well, especially since it is a flat color which will hide imperfections.

I realize that nice American cars may be at a premium over in Australia and $10K won't buy you much, but over here cars are still plentiful and you can get yourself a helluva nice car for $10K. I mean, for only a few thousand more you could've bought McPhail's 60 Fairlane, and that is a magazine cover car! I've never really considered selling my car, but threads like this make me wonder about how much it would be worth.

Regardless, not having inspected the vehicle prior to sale sticks you with it now that the sale is final. Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware. Best of luck with everything

7. Guys, your responses have been in general, fantastic. I really dont think you could buy a car like this in Australia for under $25 grand. I nearly bought a 50 Buick that was one step from the graveyard for $10 grand, and that was regarded as a reasonable deal. We can't get enough of your gorgeous cars over here. Once I saw a 50 buick, I couldn't look at anything else the same way. Jeez, even my wife looks somehow...less attractive...heheh. (dont tell her that). My wife is slim, petite and attractive and here I am comparing her to a girl with a fat ass and buck teeth!

Hey, good news, tho! The deal has more or less been stitched up.
    You guys who think I am backing out of the deal will be pleased to know she is in the bag and other cliches...

AND we have been able to track documentation down which verifies mods, so, I think we are good to go. I think I am about as ready as I could be with this import.

Bodywise, yeah, she looks pretty good to me. You guys are just to damned fussy! Talk about spoilt rotten over there! In Australia you have to contend with the mundane and the ordinary. I'm happy as a pig in poo with the deal. More news later.
    Thanks for the positive vibes!

8. Yes, this makes sense. However, the shiny seats in Canberra will not be swayed by this. (I tried it, and they more or less told me to bugger off) They strictly state that I have to provide Bill of Sale (among other documents- such as payment of item, verified copy of driver's licence or passport). So you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, and you can see why I've been a tad edgy about all this. Anyway, it's coming together...

9. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

x2:D

10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Nice sled Big Hugh! I agree they are a bit hard on you and I'm sure you know Oz's rules and regs and hope it's all you expected. The only advice I would give is that the add say's "Bill of Sale" and here in Yankee land different states have different ways of titling automobiles and as I understand it some states don't or did not issue titles, I would make sure all is well in this department and that the seller can provide any documentation required in your country. Get yourself a broker/shipper to verify the auto exist and possibly handle the shipping if thats the route you choose. Good Luck!:D

11. Yes, he has supplied the title from the previous owner whom he bought it from. By title, you mean, like, registration?

12. It would suck for you not to get this car, since you like it so much. But even tho you "Bought" the car on Ebay you can still legally back out of the deal, and the seller would not be charged by ebay for it not selling, they are just out their time. It sucks as a seller which is how i found all this out, when a buyer wrote me an email and said oh it wasnt a real bid, someone did it under our name.

According to Ebay's fine print all vehicle purchases are "Non-Binding"

Not saying its right, but not saying you have to be dinged on it either.

13. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Yes, here we call it a pink slip or title that proves ownership, I would get someone to verify that all paper work matches the vehicle, you should be able to get that done for a couple hundred +/- yanky dollars.

14. big hugh ness, as someone who has just gone through the whole import process for the first time, and as someone from your state :)...I am crossing all my fingers and toes for you. All I will say is tread lightly my friend, I am definitely under the impression that anything modified will not be allowed in, even your Buick. I have read of cars arriving here only to be sent back.

Approval they say will take 4 weeks mine took 10.

I would love to see that Buick cruising around at a show some time, however I would hate to see you do your dough or have the car arrive here to be sent back or worse. Its a long way and a lot of money to risk,...

Btw for $10K I could set you up with a mint JB Camira Formula wagon,...I would even throw in a carton of beer or a box of pies!

15. sololobo

sololobo

Good luck man, I have a buddy with a slick 47 Buick fastback, all stock that could be bought for a reasonable price, he has way to many projects, something to think about. These are cool Buick's also. I wish you nothing but the best, please don't feel obligated to buy due to these crazy rules. ~sololobo~

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  16. bwahahahaha i say go for it they dont come up very often anymore:D

17. todztoyz

todztoyz

First off, hope all goes well with your shipping. I've no expierence there. I did once call the home town police and they verified my car was there for me. Its tough to send someone $$ these days. 2nd, you created pretty interesting reading with this thread. Funny how the Bigshots come out just to shoot you down. I think its great you got the balls to lay out the cash, put up with shipping, then finish the car to your liking. Its all an adventure. Cool car, good luck.

18. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

quote of the month, nicely done

19. bjinatj

bjinatj

Good luck with the ride.. I hope it all turns out ok.

20. I'll give the Camira a big miss, but I'll have the beer and pies!

21. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Hope the import goes well for you. i know a few rodders in Oz, and it sounds really hard to get a modified car in.

22. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Well for all you guys "e-thuggin" it out there, I'm going to go look the car over tomorrow as it is exactly a mile from where I work.

That was all he asked about. I am going to talk to the current owner and check off all the paperwork. I hope it works out for "Big H" because he really seems like someone who will really love this car if he gets it.

23. todztoyz

todztoyz

simple as that.

24. voodooblackcat

voodooblackcat
    from Pacheco

Nice look'n ride, love them Buicks!

25. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

26. Understand with the Camira,...saves me having to find one too!

Beer and pies,..go together so well.

Good luck with your car keep us posted

27. Good man!

28. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

X2. Thank you sir.

29. Big thumbs up, guys! I can see I am up for a few beers if ever you guys come visiting!

30. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Thats a real hotrodder right there!