Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Thanks Rat. check back now and then there will be a few more posts in the coming weeks , for now anyways

2. You got more stick to it than I do. My car is sitting the same way it was at christmas. Sucks big time. Health issues just want let me get at it. Hopefully one day I can get back to it. Yours is coming along fine, just keep scratching at it and you'll get it.

3. Thanks Sam , Hope your feeling better soon, I have been down and out as well with this flu that is going around our neck of the woods . Havent been in the garage for 2 weeks now .

4. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

When I first saw your Transplant note here. I thought you took the roof and put it on the latemodel Buick itself. I always wondered if anyone did that and what it would look like. If someone gave it some thought.
    Have you seen the guy who sells the Bolt on parts to a Ford Thunderbird and it looks like a 50's ford with latemodel engine and interior?
    with the new front end and truck area.

But anyway back to your 51 buick Project.
    Good luck with it.

5. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

That is looking slick- do you have all all that chrome for the front end yet?

6. I have the bumper , grille , parkhousing pods , I am missing the mustache trim and the trim to fender ends . these are hard to find , they tend to crack and break as most of them were potmetal . Thanks ,,

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Subscribed! Looks awesome. :cool:

iPhone - TJJ App

8. Yes I have seen these transitioned T birds . I am on the fence on those ones . Some you see are pulled off ,with the proper stance and correct paint but then you see others and they look terrible . But hey I suppose that goes for just about any hot rod , street rod out there . some peoples tastes are just terrible . IMHO :D I am sure there are people that will think mine is terrible when I get done with it . Different strokes for different folks !!

9. Thanks Man !!

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That tail light idea is great,it would look like a killer as frenched with lee lenses

11. Yup Finn,
    They are going to get the french put to them . 1 or 1.5 inches deep . we'll see .

12. Old Gold

Old Gold

Nice work! Looking great!

13. thats a cool truck old

14. Andy try this link if you haven't seen it before. They got a lot of nos Buick parts. Not all that bad on price if you consider everything. I think they might have the mouldings you need for the front end. Just put in your year model on the first page and then you're just going to have to take the time to scroll slowly down the page while you look for the part you need.

http://buickfarm.com/

15. Hey Sam , how have ya been . I hope your avatar is of the first of the snow season and not a crule spring snow storm . Thanks for the info . I will have a look . Thanks
    Andy....

16. I just found this thread. Amazing metal work and speed. My dad drove a 1950 Buick Special all through the '60s, so I'm glad you are able to save this thing.

But I think what amazes me the most is your content-per-post ratio. I mean, really, you have documented an awesome metal redemption story with only (as of today) 204 posts. Phenomenal! Keep up the great work, and know that one more is subscribed.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  17. i had a52 riv it was a hrdtop 1980-1989
    i used 51-52 olds skirts
    55 buick headlite rings
    mopar console lites in the portholes
    sold the side trim to a merc guy
    cad wire whheels with t-bird spinners

you can put a fast back trunk lid on your car even off a four door...

Attached Files:

18. for best ease of change you must use a bumper jack to remove tires !

lift one side at a time

if that is not possible use a floorjack on the frame in front of the wheel well .
    i used to have to roll up on a length of two by six to get jack clearance underframe(they sell much lower style jacks .. now.. )then chock both front wheels put floor jack in place thank god the wheel were held on with lug bolts not studs

also had to permanently remove the one locating stud/pin

was hell when a rear tire went flat ... the price ya pay for being so damn lo... :D:eek:

19. Thanks for the info paper dog . It might be hard for me to find a fastback trunklid up in these parts . Not to many of these old Buicks around here anymore . Is the fastback trunklid lower than the sedan lid ?? As far as the clearance issue for me goes , I wlll have to raise the body a few inches which may not sound like a big deal but trust me it is (lots of remeasuring) This very frustrating and tedeious work as everything has to be square and perpendicular. My problem is that when I do jack the frame and the differential hangs I still cannot get the tire out from between the brakedrum and inner wheel lip. This is not by just a little either . Right now I only have P215 75 R 15 on it I would like to run 225 s at least . I think the body lift is my only ulternative . Thanks , Andy... PS that was a nice old Buick you had there , thanks for posting .

20. But I think what amazes me the most is your content-per-post ratio. I mean, really, you have documented an awesome metal redemption story with only (as of today) 204 posts. Phenomenal! Keep up the great work, and know that one more is subscribed.

Thanks Matt , From my end of things it seems that things are moving just a little bit to slow for my liking . But now that spring is here outside projects are going to take even more of my time out of the garage . The other day a buddy of mine mentioned he wanted his 56 Ford repainted so that will put the buick on the backburner for a while as well , but will give me a cash infusion that I can roll into the buick . I will try to steal away a few hours here and there through the summer but the posts will be fewer , I think anyway ??? Thanks , Andy...

21. Just a small update . I was able to spend 2 1/2 hours out in the garage last night . Its hard to tell yet but the reveal line and quarterpanel is very close to final shape . It will look better once its in primer . This is for the picture junkies . :D , Andy..

Attached Files:

22. Just a comparison and inspiration for me . From this to this . Its coming along I guess . Sometimes you need to do this so you dont lose sight of the project .

Attached Files:

23. fitzee

fitzee

Your so right about that. the more you look at a project you sometimes wonder are you making any headway. once you look back at what you started with you tend to realize you are making great headway. Nice work by the way.

24. Thanks Fitz . Any progress on the chev ?

25. fitzee

fitzee

No progress on the chevy. Been playing around with the merc here lately.

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks for the pix from one junkie to another :D:D

27. robleticia

robleticia

28. Thanks boys . Steve have you got any pics of the chev posted yet ? I think that I checked the other day and nothing posted on it . And Rob my friend, hows it been going . I hope all is well after the bike accident .

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Just a couple, Andy I should just start a thread for it, I think I am gonna rework the chop, the side glass needs to be all re-done and I am not a huge fan of hard top chops anyways and I want it weather proof! ....a buddy had a 50 Pontiac parts car so I relieved it of its doors and the upper part of the B pillars . The doors are rusty but the tops are nice so I will rework those onto my doors, heres the thread link ,JamesD did a great photoshop but thats a shitload of work, I think, compared to redoing the door tops with slanted B pillars...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587407

30. I don't know if you have seen this or not but here is a chop on a car like yours. Uses the factory rear glass and I think it is about as clean a chop as I have ever seen. Looks kinda like a factory built custom. Got any questions, pm him. He's always been nice to reply with any advice he can offer.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381801