Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 GMC 100 and CLR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Razorshotrods, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Hey Guys, I pourchased a 56 GMC 100, couple questions, I cant seem to find were the production numbers of the truck would be? I googled etc...any help would be great. Also what is the mixture when using CLR for the "bath" of the truck to take off surface rust??
    Thanks in advance.

2. Gator

Gator

When you say 'production numbers' do you mean info on the number of units produced or are you referring to a 'data tag'? The Vin tag is located on the door A pillar on the driver's side - that's about all the info you're gonna get off the truck

Here's a VIN decoder - hope that helps some.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/VIN.htm

3. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

I mean the actuall number of 1956 GMC 100 produced?Thanks for the link tho.

4. 1956GMC

1956GMC
    from Seattle

I've been looking for the production numbers too. From what I've heard, Chev produced about 500 pickups for every 1 GMC.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

82,266 calendar year production of GMC light duty trucks (all series) in 1956 (would include some '57 models later in 1956). No model year production figures that I can find anywhere.

399,772 Chevrolet light duty trucks (all series) in '56. No model year production figures that I could find.

source: The Standard Catalog of American Light Duty Trucks.

6. oldcarkook

oldcarkook
    from Bahstin

Not looking to start a fight here, but that number is totally misleading and doubtful.

GMC produced around 30k 1/2 tons per year with some years pushing up a bit higher and many years lower. GMC did not produce on the basis of "year" rather by series. You '56 would be an "X" series as indicated in the serial number 101 8 P X 123456 etc. A '57 would be a T series. A '55 is a Y series. '58/59 are S series. 60 is N, 54 is Z.

Light duty means everything from 1/2 ton 1 ton inclusive of bread trucks, flatbeds, etc. Production numbers are published at www.oldgmctrucks.com under serial numbers for anyone interested.