Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. dirt42

dirt42

Nice photos Belair409 and welcome to the show

2. CC voice

CC voice
    from Virginia

Belair409, Cecil County Draw-o-way went away when Al and Sonny sold the track in 1970 to the bunch from New Jersey who "knew how to tun a dragstrip" Ha! CC voice

3. For anyone interested we (CP Pistons) are submitting two pistons to NHRA for approval for the '55-'57 265 Chevy. "C40 CP" will have 4 valve pockets @ .120 deep and be submitted as "All 4 BBL". "C42 CP" will have no valve pockets and be submitted as "All 2 BBL".

4. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Thats why we sleeved all four. That worked fine......

5. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

All of the 265s that I have had were flat tops in 55 and 56s had valve pockets. I had an original 55 2barrel that the valves had kissed the pistons leading me to believe the early engines had a clearance problem.

6. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

FANTASTIC bunch of history here. Unbelievable!

7. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Thanks, Rick. It's good to know you're ahead of the game. So far I've had inquiries about a couple of '57, 283 combinations but the 265 possibilities haven't been explored by the Division 7 crowd. It's too bad because the 225 horse motor was a fun little piece. At least, if the subject comes up, we'll be ready!

Chuck

8. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing!

Pete

9. The clearance issues are probable due to the stock pistons "as cast" (not machined) valve pockets. The are usually the wrong degree 24'-25' compared to the stock valve angle of 23'. In other words the valve pocket is angle toward the valve instead of parallel with the valve. The as cast vr's are also as much as .050-.070 in the wrong location period. This is also very common with most if not all the factory forged TRW/Speed Pro pistons used on all the Factory Muscle Cars, that had "as forged" (not machined) valve pockets.

10. kgrobots

kgrobots

HI everyone & anyone!!

I recently purchased an old racing jacket from drag-o-way super stock international in Cecil county..

Does anyone have any information on age or club? it says Cars Mag. on the top. the Jacket is red & white and wool (age looks like 1960's).
    I would love a photograph of someone wearing one from the time period, if someone has one that would be great!!

thank you for all of your help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Linda

11. Dog427435

Dog427435

12. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hello Linda. Cool jacket and lucky you! If I recall correctly, and without pulling out my collection of Hi-Performance Cars magazines from the mid-1960s to early 1970s to check (which could literally take hours), let me just say I'm sure I seen a photo of the jacket in at least one of the issues, if it's what I think you're talking about. For sure it was worn by the Hi-Performance Cars magazine staff. Perhaps too, it was available to the public but I can't recall as I've not looked at those back issues in several years.

[​IMG]

All the best,

Pete

13. kgrobots

kgrobots

HI Pete!
    thanks so much! I will try to post a photo of the jacket later today..
    I think I am going to wear it to the Carlisle Car show here in PA in 2 weeks to see what the reaction to the jacket is. My father raced 1/4 mile in New Jersey back in the mid 60's but didn't keep up with it(because I was born & he worked alot). Many thanks again for the reply!!

Linda

14. rlpagan

rlpagan

Linda, While your at it post a picture of your dad's car, many of us mite remember him. We are all a bunch of old guys. I am an old Jersey boy.

15. 457 Brodix

457 Brodix
    from Urbana IL.

Phil Cooper here, what a great job you guys (& Gals) have done documenting the early days of Junior Stock, brings back a bunch of memories and triggers a bunch more. I still have some photos that I took way back in 67-74 and I'll have to scan and post some of them, looking back I didn't take nearly enough pictures though, anyway great job. I think the picture in my Avatar is a Tony James picture, I was busy at the time it was taken!

16. Max Wedge S/SA

Max Wedge S/SA
    from USA

Since we are talking about jackets here is mine from about 1965.

Attached Files:

17. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Hi Phil,
    Was it your car John Barkley drove at INDY the year he got turned away at the gate for no pre-entry.

Thank You, CB

18. 457 Brodix

457 Brodix
    from Urbana IL.

Yes Sir, I knew he was a better driver then I and he was on leave from the Service so I turned the car over to him and Marv Ripes, they pulled Marv's one of a kind Converter out of John's car and we put it in mine, probably picked up a good 15 hundredth's of a second with the Converter and a Cam timing change but it wasn't enough to hold off Archambault in the semi final even though Barkley left on him. I begged and offered good money to let me keep the converter but Ripes wanted to put it back in John's car and promised me I'd be among the first to receive one when he started building them and it was fall already so I did receive it in time to start off the 1969 Season. The whole thing was a pretty neat experience that I never regretted doing and Barkley and I communicate almost daily.

19. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Willard dusted my butt in the semi for SS/LA class at Indy in '72. There were three cars left, Willard, Bernie Agaman, and me. Willard outran me by about .12 and he had Bernie covered as well but he red-lit in the class final. Bernie won the class and then was runner-up in Super Stock Eliminator to John Lingenfelter on Monday.

As I remember it, Willard could run mid-to-low 11.90s and Bernie and I both ran something close to the record (12.06?) in the semi.

c[/QUOTE]
    Chuck, Colsey, or anyone! Looking for pix of Willards 65 Biscayne SS/LA car? I know ive seen some before but cannot locate them now. HELP!!! Pullease!!
    Thanks
    Tweed
    Also a pic of the Vega that he was driving that he ultimately crashed and died in.??
    Maybe this isnt correct?

20. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome, Linda. Yes, please post a photo when you get a chance!

Best regards,

Pete

21. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

HEY! Who ya callin' old?

Pete :)

22. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

As pictured below (in 1978 at New England Dragway) this 1955 Chevy wagon is not a Junior Stocker. However, it's a good chance it was at one time as evidenced by its 1960s-type lettering and old class winner decals prior to being transformed into a :eek: bracket racer. If so, any info would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    (Lynn W. Morton photo)

Pete

P.S. Broadbent Bros., any relation to Stock racer Bob Broadbent?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  23. Jimmy Parker

Jimmy Parker

Tweed, I remember Willard's '65 well. In about '71 or '72 he showed up at Montgomery, Alabama for a S/SS race with this car. We hit it off and he followed me home after the race and stayed with me a couple of days and then went on to Florida. Nice guy that died way too young. My memory is not the best but I thought he got killed in a '65 Chevy II wagon that he was running in SS/KA at a race track in Florida but can't remember which one. The '65 was a 396-325 that ran really well. I remember one time at Warner Robbins he did a dry hop behind the line and when he hit the brakes the right front brake drum shattered and cast iron went everywhere.

Jimmy Parker

24. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

Guess who turns the big (74} today? He used to be a jr:stocker::now he is sr::rocker ::::::my good friend jack worrell thanks jake

25. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I don't know if I've ever seen a picture of that Bel Air (or was it a Biscayne?). I remember it was silver or gray in color. Got a good look at the ass-end of it going down the track at Indy that day.

I had heard that Willard lost his life in a '65 Nova wagon in Florida. Willard was a tough, no-nonsense racer. He did not have a lot of time to spend on anyone who was not as serious about drag racing as he.

c

26. This has to be one of my favorite threads! Top two anyway next to the 38-42 Willys' thread. IMO no doubt. Keep 'em coming Colesy, Tweed, Pete, etc... I am still searching for all my Dads old pics from Warner Robins Dragway ( which by the way is a High School site on top of a lot of other bldgs and roads) and Camp Wheeler (SE of Macon) As soon as I put my hands on them I'll post any on topic asap. Cheers
    Scot

27. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

it's definitely current stock elim racer Bob Broadbent's old AHRA formula stocker. I talked "Pygmy" about it sometime back in the '90's...

28. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Agaman got down to 4 cars at INDY and lost in Super Stock 1972...I think Dick Hickernell got R/U in his 69 Caprice...

29. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

GREAT story !!! Thanks for the reply !!!

30. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

You're correct! Your memory is better than mine.

c