Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Don Knopp-Don Antiques

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.Edell, Apr 13, 2011.

1. M.Edell

M.Edell

I just got word that Don Knopp who's owned Don's Antiques in Niles,Ca for as long as I can remember was beat up this morning by two pieces of shit and is in the hospital.He is 80 years old.Don is a legend in Nor Cal, very eccentric and intelligent car guy.He has been buying and selling Vintage Auto Parts since the early 50's.Don had buildings full of pre 1960
    American parts filled to the ceiling and knew where every single part was.A few years back he moved his yard out to Fresno,Ca but still had his main shop in Niles,Ca.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Oh God dammm this is not good....RIP.

3. M.Edell

M.Edell

Just talked to my friend who live in Niles and she told me she didnt hear that he was killed but beat up only and in the hospital..I will keep you informed

4. M.Edell

M.Edell

Cops said it was Two Black guys..

5. titus

titus

Dont like hearing about shit like this! hope hes ok. A buddys mom was hit over the head in her front yard, some punk took her purse. PUNKS!

6. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Cowards

7. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Hope Don has video cams
    and they catch them

if they had real balls they would rob a bank and risk the possability of getting shot

8. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

That is why I`m always armed. When you get to be an old-fart you are subject to all the young punks who think you`re an easy target.

9. pumpman

pumpman

Hate to hear shit like this, hope he is getting better. My thoughts are with him.

10. M.Edell

M.Edell

11. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

A number of years ago, we were at Blackie's show in Fresno. While out for a morning walk, I just happened to find Don's place. When I returned later to show a few other people, he invited us in to look around and we spent the next hour walking through his treasures and talking cars. It was a memorable morning.

I hope the dickheads who did this get what they deserve and more. Unfortunately, the way our system works now, they'll get a hug and be let loose to do it again.

Good luck Don and get well soon!

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Unfortunately they probably wont get caught, but I sure hope I'm wrong! They need to have their ass kicked!

13. 76cam

76cam

Man sorry to hear this hope he recovers.Hope the hang the bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. M.Edell

M.Edell

I'm surprised they got away with it.Next door is a bar called the Florence where Bikers hang out.I wish they had got ahold of these morons..

15. M.Edell

M.Edell

He was shot in the head with a high powered BB Gun.They are leaving the BB in there..

16. Frank32

Frank32

Bastards I hope they get caught!!, I hope Don is ok. I was born and raised in the bay area, my dad and I would see Don often at his store and the swaps.

Get Well Don!

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Man I hope Don is OK I cannot still believe this shit.....give me about 2 minutes with the mother fuckers.

18. butch27

butch27

Get your concealed weapons permit guys. Most of us here in Michigan have them. Hey we're to old to mess around with hand to hand.

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just stopped by his store in Niles a couple of weeks ago. One of us. A real neat guy. Knows everything about the old stuff. Was talking to him about my '48 Ford gear ratio. Wondered why it was so low. Told me 48's had 4.11s. Hope he recovers and they catch the bastards.

20. Von Franco

Von Franco

IF it wasn't for DON helping me with parts for my KooKie CAR It wouldn't have been done as fast as it was. He is A legend and one of the coolest guys I have ever met. Hope he gets well......

21. M.Edell

M.Edell

22. 5window

5window

So maybe you're blindsided and they get your gun and shoot you or then use it to commit other crimes? This is not the forum for a firearms discussion and I am not anti-gun, but let's just pray that this gentleman gets better,huh?

23. Von Franco

Von Franco

Bttt........ But keep this positive .......

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

heard about that from a buddy of mine. he said ol' Don was back to work with a patch on his eye or a black eye swollen shut.. something like that this last weekend.

I lived in Niles for 13 years starting in 1983. I'd say he works 7 days a week as he was always at his shop fiddling with his parts. black ben davis pants, red plaid shirt and either a derby or a stove pipe "Abe Lincoln" hat. the place is crammed to the gills with goodies.

one of my old neighbors used to work with him in the 60's... he was saying they would toss out parts that today we would die for. you know... like a 32 fender with a dent in it. When I was a kid my buddies and I used to ride our bikes out there just to stand in the shop and look at all the stuff, and to check the swap meet list he had on the wall.

he is still out at every swap with his wagon buying more parts. I think he loves those parts more than the money they bring in.

people suck.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

In the Community Message issued by Police there was a camera picture of the two young crooks boarding a bus. They took cash that he had on him. Lucky was not a real gun they used. Don has parts stashed from Niles to Fresno. He is the rare type of guy that knows a lot about many different types of old cars and usually has the part you need. Always has his top hat and a story and a laugh for you. Don could not hurt anybody, except maybe your wallet when buying parts. Makes ya wonder if it was a set up, or just a random robbery.

26. R&C RON

R&C RON

I have bought rare parts from Don for over 30 years....he is an East Bay institution. The amazing thing is, among thousands of parts, he always has what you need and knows where to find it.
    GET WELL DON.

27. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

The shi#@y part about this is Don will probably keep his doors locked and no one will be able to stroll in and talk old cars and parts. A random crime for sure. Niles is such a low key place. Hope they catch the scum.

28. 32-cabriolet

32-cabriolet
    from Gilbert Az

here are some pics of Don & his place I took 2 years ago when I was there

Attached Files:

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope Don recovers quickly, and can continue to live a normal life. Even if the bastards that did this to him are cought nothing will happen to them in this day and age.

30. Gee i have something to strive for in the next 30+years