Register now to get rid of these ads!

weld in steering joint ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BILLS CUSTOM EXHAUST, Apr 18, 2011.

1. hey guys i just bought some sweet weld in steering joints i was wondering if you guys tack them in place then dissasemble the joint and finish weld the nuckle to the shaft then reassemble or do you just weld them and pray the grease stays in thanks bill

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FULLY disassemble.

3. I weld about a 1/4" at a time, letting it cool in between welds. Never had a problem.

4. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I have found pulling the colume out about 2 to 3 inches. start at the rack or box and assemble to the firewall then slide the colume back into the last joint. I agree with the 1/4 weld/cool technique.

5. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Make sure the ground is on the side you are welding. Don't let 100+ amps go through the joint

6. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I cross drilled and pinned mine. 1/4" grade 8 bolt with vibration proof nut.

7. I like the cross drill also. Plus I trust a bolt over my weld any day, lol. Just dont tell my customers. Also I have seen the joints wrapped in a wet rag, and left to cool on there own. Thats my $.02

8. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

You wrote this?????And you are in business???Please stop!

9. bill wallace

bill wallace

I imerse the joint in water & leave the portion to be welded above the water. This requires some set-up but protects the bearings in the joint.

10. roundvalley

roundvalley

Thanks Bill. Not pretty but it worked well. Joint stayed cold.

Attached Files:

11. i have always used double d and splined joints. what is the benefit of weld in joints?

12. roundvalley

roundvalley

U joint was mated to the end of a '41 column 3/4" round tube. No splines or DD on that end.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  13. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I had a good welder do mine then I drilled them and drove a roll pin throught the shaft n joint

14. Verminator

Verminator

If you have a 3/4 SOLID ( not tube ) round column, mill or simply grind down the opposing sides to make it a double D

15. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I seriously pity your customers.

ALWAYS Disassemble!

16. mj40's

mj40's

Damn! roundvalley, your shop is way to clean. I have a couple friends with mills and they DD them for me.

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ford column shafts are heavy walled enough to be double d'd..Putting a bolt through may seem like safety but its really a lot weaker than ANY other method..

18. or you can get someone on the hamb to machine you a solid steering shaft with a double D or splines, the horn wire isn't going to go through the u joint anyhow.

19. I do the water method.

20. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I soak old cut blue jean rags in water just so if they start steaming you get the idea to chill. I was tought that by an old timer that rebuilt tractors.

21. Weasel

Weasel

Do Not weld steering joints - this from Borgeson's website:

[​IMG]

22. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

knew that was coming.

I weldem, use water, and notch the end to be welded so the weld itself is curved around the shaft. Doesnt take much and its hard to see.

[​IMG]