Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the stupidest thing you let pass through your hands

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, Jun 23, 2009.

1. in 1982 I passed on a 70 Hemi Cuda, disassembled but complete for 2k
    Sold my matching numbers rust free 65 GTO w/ new paint, fresh motor, complete driver for $1200
    In 1999 I sold my 1971 SS/RS Camaro, matching number fully loaded, running driving show winning for $3500 cause I had no garage to keep it. 6 months later we baught a house with a garage.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh

2. My first cool car, 1964 GTO, NOM motor/trans, bought for $1400 sold for $1800 a year later. Former local race car put back on the street. This was in 1986.

3. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

1974 Norcal car club. A fellow club member had one of the early 289 Cobras with just a few thousand miles on it and offered it to me for $5,000, but that was like a $100,000 to me then! Same year I paid $1,100 for a 1960 Corvette in pretty good #2 shape with original engine and 4 speed and both tops. Sold it 6 months later for $1,500!!!!!!!!!!

4. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

No such animal for a small block Chevrolet.

5. chris55

chris55

When I was young , I traded this for a Suzuki 750 GSL...ya ya I know.
    [​IMG]

6. igorw

igorw

1. My grandfather's '41 Chevy business coupe sold at auction in '72 for $35. It was in decent running condition.

2. Complete Algon setup for a 409 for $100 in 1974.

7. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

I tried to buy a 1947 Chrysler 2dr Royal that I tried to buy when I was 16. I made the deal and was too young to sign for it. my parents wouldn't let me buy it! "it is an old worn out POS" is what the old man said...
    I have been hunting for that car for 16 years and haven't gotten close to finding one. Off to eGay to hunt now...

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

1983. 2 complete 392's with a weiand dual four barrel manifold and about 200 lbs performance and spare parts. Help him clean out the storage and $500.00.
    I'm dyin heaah.

9. jasonpickett

jasonpickett

About 10 yrs ago when I was 16, I went to Montana with my parents. Was in a town of about 90 people. We were in a saloon talking to the locals and started talking cars. Older guy said he had a car in his barn he has been trying to sell. Doesn't know much about it. Only wanted $5000 for it. Went and checked it out. It was a all original hemi cuda. Didn't have $5000 for it so I just passed it up. Always wondered if he still has it.

10. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Not trying to copy jasonpickett but when I was 16 (1987) bought a 57 Bel Air HT roller, very nice car for $800 and traded it for a 100% complete 70 AAR Baracuda 340 6-pack 4-speed that the clutch was out, it was the real deal. It had a little rust but maybe 1/4 patches at best. Sold it 2 weeks later for $2500 and look out world I was a rich savvy business man! That car is still in town and fully restored.

11. squid

squid

I passed up a solid 57 Belair for $1000.00 because I thought it was a 210 not a Belair, had perfect chrome - good interior etc. Found out a bout 2 days later that Chevy did make a Belair post. But what do you know, it was already gone .

12. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

67 thunderbird 2dr in PERFECT condition with the 428 I believe, turning, about to run, No rust, new paint and vinyl top with 1 rip in the seat for 500 bucks, it went to my brother in law, (Me being a broke college kid) right after I found out I could have borrowed the money. STill kicking myself, he hasnt even driven it. this was about 6 months ago

13. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

64 Ford Country Squire. The tranny went out so it was parked at a friends apartment. It was towed and I couldnt afford to get it out.

14. JKA

JKA

1964 ORIGINAL A/FX Comet. Holman and Moody 427 with Hilborn Inj. Complete car heard in run. $3,000. I still wake up with at night and want to kick myself in the ass for not buying.

15. daddylama

daddylama

hmmm... not sure where to start...

'59 El Camino for $500 + cleaning out a garage and yard... because i didn't know it was an elco. I thought it was "some old pickup"...
    a buddy jumped on it. spent 3 solid days clearing out tons of crap from the garage just to get far enough in to see what it was...
    all crap that the widow's husband collected over the years (hoarder). pulled the el camino out...
    he drove it to my house the next day to show what i'd missed on. it had a built 409 in it. took him 2 hours to get it running/driving (not safely, but still).

'32 ford roadster. "$2000 cash for that old model T" is what the seller said. i didn't even bother looking. wish i had... i'd have noticed it was a deuce in a second...

'63 corvette. pretty rough shape, but it was $3k and pretty complete.

16. 39 Ford

39 Ford

17. sprint3

sprint3

32 model b roadster in 69..wanted to trade for my old go-kart.
    55 gull wing in 1970...$3500.00(I had the cash)
    70 dodge coronet(rt if I remember correct) convertible for 500 w/blown engine in 79 or 80...body was mint:(:(

Those are my 3 big misses....selling my 61 impalla convert...I don't even talk about.

18. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

Holy S--t You Win!

19. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

How about last nite
    Got caught up in buddys new purchase 34 coupe not completed but not a basket case.. we were going over his plans when he said he wanted to run a caddy aircleaner
    took him over to my parts lair
    and handed him a stripped an oiled wrapped steel caddy air cleaner
    my donation to his build free...:eek:
    What goes around comes around
    hope for some good karma to get back to me ..lol

20. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Cindy- what an idiot, but she liked my hands- plus she had those great "enhancements" :p
    I still kick myself over not jumping faster on this one in '01- a '67 GT500, genuine car that had been parked for at least 15 years, was in the Shelby Registry as "whereabouts unknown". Nice, complete interior, body was all there and straight, exhaust tip was solid, Bird tailights good, all 5 Magstars... and the guy had a NOS sideoiler block, a good set of Tunnel Port heads & intake and std steel crank. $10K for the car, $15K with the engine stuff, and I had my checkbook with me... Went home and called him the next day, it was gone :( Did I say Cindy was an idiot? :rolleyes:

21. ironpile

ironpile

I had all these in my posession,34 5 window,51 Henry J,55 Chevy ,57 Chevy,39 Chevy coupe,56 Chevy, 40 Ford coupe,49 Plymouth coupe,41 Plymouth coupe,50 Buick 2 door,Divco milk truck,66 Plymouth Fury,318 powered 66 Volvo, so many others I cannot remember.

22. hmm stupidest thing... a pot of boiling water... the water caused some serious burns.. 2nd 65 mustang coupe v8 with a white interior.. wonder where its at now?

23. Smokey2

Smokey2

Paint Stripper! (I like that one!) Ha,
    '32 ferd "Roadster", that I knew where it was, an told NO ONE!, Owner happened to come upon a Local Car Show(That we were doin'!),......he got to TALKIN" to some out'ta Towner..........end of '32............!

'53 Buick Skylark, that "Tha Guy, could'nt get Power windows, TO WORK! ($1200.)

'35 Williys Sedan, Solid! Good Interior, $1200. !

'32 Chrysler Sedan, with divider winder, an dual instrumentation,.....Owner sez $1000, american dollars, But!!!, "I promised this fellow in North Carolina, if, I ever decided I'd sell, I'd let HIM KNOW!!, End of That One!
    Two miles away was '37 Lincoln "K", needed Accident Damage to rear side fixed, ALUMINUM BODY.........Who?, in tha' Hell, are you gonna' find?, to FIX THAT??

'41 Ford Conv., '40 Ford Conv., '47 Chevy SEDAN DELIVERY, '61 Vette, that I owned from 1962 til '65, Got Married........Could've bought it back, TWICE!......NOT!

I..........I.........Can't ...Go......ON!, SORRY !!

24. fanspete

fanspete

Just got my license, 1980, neighbors had a '58 Alfa Romeo Guiletta (sp?) spyder, white, red gut,black top, race prepped drivetrain, offered it to me for $3500. I was a huge pansy and didn't want the debt....Geez, that would've been a killer first car! It was the first car I drove with my license, though.

25. Mr.Gasser

Mr.Gasser

In 1995 went to an older gentlemen's house up north looking for a trans I desperately needed for a 60 Plymouth wagon I was running around in at the time and was offered:
    34 Ford 5 win for $500 (just a body)
    50 Ford woodie for $2000 (new wood kit was in the barn)
    40 Ford panel for $2000 (kind of rough)
    58 Chev 8 door airport car for $2000 (ran and drove, and looked clean)
    Plus some other odds and ends, I was real young, real broke, freshly married, and with a newborn. Still kick myself for not going to the bank for a quick loan.

26. A yellow 1972 XA Falcon 2 door hardtop, 351, 4 speed, it was $2400 back in 1979.

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

First was of course, a girl. To this day, I remember her address at the time, phone number, birth date, and of course her name. It's been 41 years now. But, my Uncle Sam sent me an invitation to come play with him in these ridiculous looking uniforms and haircuts. Then, and I've told this story several times here on the HAMB, I GAVE away ALL my Hydro stuff, including two complete transmissions, one a B & M Hydro Stick, several stock and after market torus assemblies, slip yokes/drive lines, flywheels, the extremely rare Hydro V-8 starter motor, and two shifters, one a Hurst Hydro Gate! So now we jump ahead a few years, and I recently bought an Ex Junior Stock Class, 57 Chevrolet, Sedan Delivery, with a 220 HP 283, Stahl fenderwell headers, and a cast iron Powerglide, that was put in the car when NHRA banned the Hydros in 71. The car also came with the Hydro it originally ran with, and a shifter. The trans was a mess, and needed more work than I was willing to put into it. So, I called up another HAMBER, whose really into these transmissions, and GAVE it to him. As it turns out, he also has my other two Hydros having bought them from the guy I GAVE them to. At least they're going to be used. I also sold the 57 Delivery to another HAMBER. One car I really wanted to buy was a 1967 Oldsmobile 442, silver with black bucket seat interior, 4-speed car, and it had tri-power on it, for $1800.00. I had just bought my first new car, a 1970 Dart Swinger 340 with a Torgue Flite/3.91:1 Sure Grip, and paid cash for it. I was 17, and had tapped out my savings account buying the Dart. If I had gotten the 442, it would still be mine. I won't even mention all the cars/trucks I should have kept, but let them slip away. Essentially, all of them. Butch/56sedandelivery.

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

About 14 years ago I was in a Antique Toy Store that sold all kinds of old toys and they were selling a car record player, all chrome, in excellent condition that played 45s and 78s. The asking price was $75. I had the money but I said to myself that I would just wait a few days and if I still wanted to buy it, I would just go back and buy. Two days later I go back and someone else had bought it.

29. sololobo

sololobo

32 Ford b-400, didn't like the looks of the sides that stayed up with the top pulled back, bought for 100.00, drove off the farm. My name is Larry, and I am a dumb f***, I will not mess up again, ha, fat chance. ~sololobo~

30. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

1967 Camaro Convertible Pace car.Big block,auto,power top,power everything.Sold in the eighties.