Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carlisle swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodzz2010, Apr 17, 2011.

1. rodzz2010

rodzz2010
    1. A-D Truckers

How is Carlisle is it anything like Etown??

2. Belair409

Belair409
    from Delaware

Absolutely correct! There is some stuff along the south fence and maybe the next row but the best area is the north field. Most of the rest of the fairgrounds is commercial vendors with a little guy mixed in here and there.

3. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

Takes a full day + to cover and there are still some good buys. It's 200% better then ET. I'll be there Fri/Sat. Hit the upper field first.

4. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

E-town sucks compared to Carlisle! Great show..... be prepared to do a lot of walking.

5. skidsteer

skidsteer

Dittos to what was said above -- Since they moved all the high end manufacturers to what used to be the middle of the old race track, and grouped them all into a central area now called "the Midway", it is much easier to avoid them all. Just stick to the perimiter areas, and the 'Hill' area as well as along the Tpke are usually good pickens for traditional stuff.

6. It's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Yugo, E-town is the rusted, clapped out Yugo.

7. rld14

rld14

I can't imagine it being any worse than E-Town.... E-Town is great if you're looking for traditional 80s Volvo Hubcaps and VHS tapes.

8. Drums Pa huh??? my grandfather owned a bar their a zillion years ago.....nice valley!

9. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Well, like I said, if any members need a place to set down parts you're carrying and take a break, feelfree to stop at NJ-15-17 Moonlight Movies booth. NJ15-17 faces the hard road that covers the crest of the hill just as you enter the north field. We set up Thursday morning stay open till dusk, through Saturday night.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The scale is about so:

Englishtown: You notice your neighbour has left a dead lawnmower and a box of 1975 People magazines at the curb.

Carlisle: Out for a drive, you see a bunch of old cars behind a farmhouse...what you can see is rusted out muscle cars and a '54 Plymouth fourdoor, but the field is big and there might be some serious goodies back in the trees...

Hershey: You notice a farmer's field and immediately spot 6 '32 Fords, a heap of blower drives for a '92, the car that took the land speed record in 1927, a steam powered Zeppelin, and some junk Indy roadsters next to Clark Gables Duesenberg. You realize there might be interesting stuff if you keep looking...

11. Bruce, You always have a way of putting it all into perspective.:)

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Is there a spring Hershey

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nope ...

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hahaha!:D

15. guffey

guffey

very well put

16. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

There was a spring Hershey years ago. It didn't catch on.

17. 5window

5window

Plus, all you pay at Hershey is parking-admission is free.
    Still, since Hershey is in the fall and and I'll be overseas for fall Carlisle-I'll be at Carlisle next week. :)

18. What the Hell are you smokin??? I want some.....:eek:

19. 83 acres of vendors and car coral. It takes 2 days to see it all. Try not to be there on sat. Wall to wall people.

20. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

Carlisle has 8,300 vendors...end of story

21. I go every year, whether I need to or not. Go, you won't be sorry.

22. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Yes carlisle has changed,but so has everthing else it is still a great place to never know what you will find. E-bay killed good deals!!

24. teddyp

teddyp

i always like carlise the best but e-bay has killed alot of swap meets

25. Comparing Englishtown is to Carlisle is to compare a stone ax to a predator drone. OK, massive exaggeration LOL. But Carlisle is WAY, WAY better. The sellers actually have car parts for sale. Lots of 50's, 60's, 70's stuff. Early Ford parts I couldn't really say as I don't shop for that stuff.

26. 5window

5window

Oh, I don't mind the People at all. What I can't abide are those folks who have eaten themselves into a motorized cart and don't care where they drive the thing. And, if you've got a dog,leave it at home (veterinarian advice here).

Whether it's Carlisle or Hershey-take a rainsuit,wear good shoes, take quarters to tip the bathroom attendants (how damn cheap can you be not to give someone whose job is tending portapotties a quarter?-you'd be surprised how many don't), sunblock and snacks. Forecast isn't out for next weekend,but 8 of the next 10 days call for rain. Surprise.

27. bob308

bob308

my spaces are k44-45. been going for 25 years. it is not what it used to be never will be again. but it is way better then nothing.

28. picked up lots of deals there set of torge thost 200.00 new guy was hurting also 34 com. headlight last year for 40.00 bucks been going for 30 years

29. djlifter

djlifter
    from oklahoma

I'll be there sellin lifts....
    My spaces are right next to Hemmings, at the south east edge of the food court.......directly across from the best chicken corn soup on the planet...lol

30. 5window

5window

Anybody know if you'll be able to park up at the armory lot this year? They were talking about shutting that area down.