Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hate Being Broke

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Just blowin off a little steam. Got my roadster parked in the corner of the garage with a $500 bill that needs to go in to get the title. Can't spend any money right now because I have to pay in taxes, got a few med bills coming in from my appendix removal last week, few home improvements need done. Weather has already been nice enough to drive, but I'm going to miss out this spring.
    Ground the welds on my headers last night and have quite a few jobs to do on the coupe that shouldn't cost me too much, but I'm going to go crazy before too long doing work without spending anything.
    Guess I should just be glad I don't have any credit out on anything. Anyone else a little stir crazy over cash? I know you are, just trying to make myself feel better.:D

2. Snijro31

Snijro31
    from Michigan

I totaly feel ya on this one just about everything i gotta do to my truck i gotta make it from whats laying around. broke collage kid sucks :). but hey i think thats what hot roddin is all about

3. Larry T

Larry T

Naw, I love Raman noodles and beans 3 times a day. (G)
    Larry T

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

If I didn't have three kids eating and needing their cars fixed, I'd be ok with the raman noodle thing.:)

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Tell me about it. It's something different every month. This month it was the Golf's gearbox losing all its oil, it's in the shop right now because I haven't got the time or inclination to pull a gearbox today. I can barely afford it, never mind doing the clutch at the same time, so in a few months' time I'm paying for pulling the gearbox all over again ...

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

In my defense, last month I had to put struts on the wife's car, a tire went bad on my pickup, a harmonic balancer and belt on the stepson's truck, a fuel pump in my son's Camaro, and bushings in the stepdaughter's Jeep. I just finished up the Stepdaughter's Jeep when I got a cramp in my gut, so I went to the hospital for a week and they cut some parts out of me.:eek:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  7. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

" broke collage kid sucks "
    ^^^^
    Thats Funny!

8. <----See my avatar?

It's in Missouri at my parents' house.

Been there since I left home 12 years ago to go on to college and start a career/family.

Why?

Because since then I have either not had the space (college...apt...starter home) or not had the money (got a 3 car garage now but I'm house poor) to do Jack Shit with it.

...all I can afford to do with hot rods these days is either talk about them on the hamb (which is great btw), visit local hot rodders, and go to nearby shows....oh....and I can draw pictures of hot rods I want to build when I'm independently wealthy (yeah right).

9. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

I feel ya. I've got most everything to finish my suburban, but there's a few little cheap parts I find I need in between. As soon as I think I've got the cash for them, something else goes. The wife's Expedition needed brake pads, no biggie at $19, but it turned into a caliper at $55! Spring is here and I've gotta come up with a lawnmower, just paid state income tax, paid house taxes, taxes on two trucks and a motorcycle, and now the taxes are due on the wife's truck!

Why is it that we can have enough material to last us a month, but we think we can't work without buying parts?

10. yblock292

yblock292

taxes, insurance , taxes, insurance, taxes, insurance. Like my neighbor said yesterday "everytime i get an extra nickel in my pocket some SOB wants a dime". Seems like every month its something else, sewer line plugged up last friday, sewer guy just left with $225 of my money in his pocket, now tells me line needs to be replaced, zillion dollars.

11. sololobo

sololobo

We are not alone----~sololobo~

12. Scott K

Scott K

Sounds like the kids need to start pulling their weight.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

lots of people way down on having any "extra" car spending money-I have been cleaning out stuff at swaps and free online sites and free newspaper ads that I have had for a long time, but do not need right now to help pay for some parts needed.

14. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

What would Jimmy Buffett do?

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've got a little hot rod fund that takes no money from my paycheck. I buy and sell parts and do stuff on the side to supplement the "fund." While I love hot rods, my main priority is getting debt free. I'm down to one debt left, the bloody student loan. When that's gone, then it's hello new garage and 35/36 3 Window fund! :D

16. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

I don't have a money problem at all...I bring it home and my wife gets rid of it for me.

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I work as demolition/construction mgr. I was given permission to salvage a 25x30 park pavilion from a demo job. I was also able to get some steel cabinets for my existing garage from some apt's we demolished. I plan on making a one-car workshop in the back yard with the park pavilion I have just stacked in my back yard.:D
    [​IMG]

18. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

I'm with ya! I finished putting my 64 Plymouth back together two years ago. I did it all myself over two years with a budget of darn near nothing. However, I will not be happy until I can install a TTI 2.5" aluminized dual exhaust system. What I want will cost nearly $600 shipped to my door. I can have pipes installed for $400 at the local bend em up muffler shop, but I dont really want them guys working on my pride and joy after some of the shit I have seen them do on my work truck:eek:
    Every time I get a spare dime, something eats the money. Just did a $200 brake job on wife's jeep this weekend. Had to pump out the septic tank. Shingles blown off during the recent high winds. Water softener bit the dust. Wife wants a new oven, dont like my 1967 model. Wife and daughter medical bills. Daughter needs braces. Wife been out of work for 114 month, cant find a job. Raises tight and tiny for me at work. And DUMBASS me got antsy and took the Plymouth out for a high speed blast on the highway a while back, open header, etc. Unseen county cop/radar = $150 fine! DOH!!
    Now it sits in the garage under the cover waiting ..........................:(

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Ok, we're on the same page. Misery loves company, I feel better. Ha.

20. davis574ord

davis574ord

Yeah it sucks, just spent the money for my front suspension on my coupe, for fuckin property taxes, and gave my oldest son another $400.00 to help him with rent! Everytime i have a few bucks, something allways comes up! I dont even like to go out in my shop cus my new,boxed frame for my 31 is sittin on jack stands, all i need is front axle, shocks and a spring to make it a roller, killin me!

21. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

When kids are small they don't need to eat every day, if you get them to eat every third day that would help, then it woud be like 3 of you eating every day, not 5 . McDonalds shit cans a lot of stuff in those big green boxs out back, I got a Big Mac one time that only had two bites out of it.

I was teaching my dog not to eat ,almost had him trained then the son of a bitch died on me, I was so close.

It's like my Dad always said I don't give a shit how much you make your always broke the day before pay day.
    He also always said " The next time I ain't bailing your ass out, your gonna rot in there.:cool:

22. BenderJ

BenderJ
    from Detroit

I waited until the last day to pay our taxes - Man, did that take the wind out of my sails. Looks like everything is on hold for the next couple of months. :(

23. Deuces

Deuces

Do what I do.......... Buy some Lotto tickets and dream BIG!! :D:(

24. Deuces

Deuces

150 dollar fine huh?? OUCH!! :(

25. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Another one from the wings....Sold the house right as the wifie delivered our second child 2.5 months early. Bought a new house for 50% of it's value (great deal BTW) however the folks that owned it/foreclosed on it took all the light fixtures and window coverings...read: "couple grand" there. Back to the baby spent 4 months in the hospital, 3 surgery's = lots of bills not covered by insurance.....hell I'm VERY fortunate that the most important part is the baby is now doing great...and VERY fortunate that insurance covered as much as it did...

HOWEVER I'm still not outta the woods, still have about 50% left to pay off the baby (then they can't repo her beutiful little hind end), and still trying to plug away at house projects. therefore I have NO extra cash to finish the 49 right now....luckly I have enough materials to get it done other than interior and rims and tires....two high priced items....that said it's beside the point cause I'm always exhausted and or working all the time to pay off the baby....a vicious cycle.

Hopefully I'll be in the clear in 6-9 months.

Hell I'm afraid to have relations with the wife cause I dont wanna knock her up again! That shit's expensive!

26. Deuces

Deuces

Yesterday I wound up sending 1200+ bucks to the IRS.. :( That hurt BIG time! :( :mad: But I'm getting back almost 600 from the State which ain't so bad..

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  27. HA! The wife and I joke about that every time we go to the mailbox. "Hey babe, did they send the lottery check today?" "No, maybe it will come tomorrow." LOL....eh....:(

28. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

I`ll go out on a limb and say you guys don`t want hear about my six-figure refund on the business(s).

29. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Wife hasn't worked in 3 years & I work 2 regular jobs to make the bills & scrap anything I can get my hands on for $$$.
    My G-daughter has been thru a lot of He** just to get thru school to the point of graduation (for which I have hocked everything I own & sold blood to pay for).
    Am I complainin'? Not on your life. I have a reason to get up every day & a goal to keep striving for.
    When the dust settles & the wifes $$$ start up & g-girl is rolling on in her life, I'll brush off the Caddy, fire her up & aim her down the road for a nice long cruise.
    Life is what you make it.
    Cadillac Al:cool:

30. dallasdrifter

dallasdrifter
    from dallas tx

i got lucky that I spent 1500 on tools for work. They count it as a deductible. Plus, I got back 800 from paying my gambling taxes up front. But that's all gone because my grandpa loaned me the 800 before I even got it back. I can't afford to drive my f150 anymore since gas is so high. I am driving my mom's 35 mpg nissan and she drives my grandpa's extra car. I tell people all the time"if youdon't got a family that care's, you don't have shit in this life". Life would suck if we didn't have cool ass old car's to work on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.