Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vertex magneto questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Shift light? Gold chainer!!! ;-)

Here's another vote for Spud Miller at Fuel Injection Enterprises. He hot rodded a Vertex for my digger hemi.

2. #99 Vintage Racer

#99 Vintage Racer

I have a question about a Vertex Magneto. I put one in my vintage race car. After getting the car running and set the timing enough to get it to idle. I couldn't get the car to shut off. I was told that the terminal on the outside of the mag. goes through a switch to a ground. Is that correct. Because after un hooking the wire from the side of the mag, the car would still run. With my continuity tester, the side terminal is the same as the body of the mag. So can run this mag with nothing hooked to the terminal. What do yau guys think?

3. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

tHAT TERMINAL HAS TO BE GROUNDED TO KILL THE MAG , and IT NEEDS TO BE A QUALITY SWITCH TO PREVENT ARCING.......

4. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

i used an inexpensive switch and it has worked fine for 3 years...shutting it off without this switch in the circuit is a real bitch!!!

5. #99 Vintage Racer

#99 Vintage Racer

Thanks for input guys. But the problem is: It will run with nothing hooked to the terminal. No ground at all. Just sitting in the motor with cap on and the tach cable hooked up, it will start and run with nothing on the terminal. I'm geussing it is grounded through the mag housing somehow? I checked the terminals insulator, it looks fine and intacked. I have to choke the carb. out to kill the engine. I'm looking for a break down of how the points and such inside are suppose be. I think something is wrong inside. Has anybody ever heard of this problem?

6. Heo

Heo

hook the terminal to a cable and ground the cable to the chassie
    to kill the engine. When the terminal is grounded the mag wont spark

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I dont think you are understanding the use of the terminal.
    The engine should run with nothing on the terminal, the terminal must be grounded to kill the engine.
    With the engine running take a wire lead and ground the terminal to the intake should now kill the engine.

8. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

If you are getting continuity from the post to the case with no resistance the nylon washers that insulate the post may be bad or missing.The cam that opens the points has to be "in phase"with the magnets,this varies by which way the mag rotates.this is set with a vertex tool and a degree ring that measures magneto degrees.most clamp on degree rings measure crankshaft degrees and are used as a timing aid once the mag is installed.still the best book I've found is the one speedway motors sells-#910-85012.But there are some here that wont order it because its printed using Chinese ink or something

9. #99 Vintage Racer

#99 Vintage Racer

I got it guys. With your help anyways. Thats what I was doing wrong. Once I understood what the terminal was for (ground to kill the motor) It went smooth from there. What a differants. Thanks again for all the help!!!!! I bought this used with no instructions as I think you have already figured this out.

Attached Files:

10. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Tom's down in Payson Az now. Had him re-do mine. Top notch guy.

HellRaiser