Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I asking too much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64special, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

Some of us older guys don't understand how it works either. What is the purpose of an introduction? I understand because Ryan said so and I respect that. However, I could come on here and tell you I'm hung like a young horse, Built like and Adonis and have the brain of an Einstien. That I have statements from deflowered virgins, beauty contest judges and Harvard and Yale professors to prove that. To be provided upon request. None of that would be true but you'ld be happy because I pumped you full of BS. There's a lady suing a dating site because some guy who was a registered sex offender raped her. My heart goes out to her but it's pretty obvious he lied on his intro. Whatever Ryan's reason for wanting an intro I'm absoultyy positive it was not so some twit could act like a snot and not answer a plea for help and feel supeior about himself. If Ryan wants it, it tickles the hell out of me but it's not up to me to enforce it. It's up to Ryan. Do you belong to one of those neighborhood houseing assc. and go around measuing the height of everybody's bushes to see if they need trimming? As for me, when I guy asks for help and I can help--he's gonna' get it.

2. take it you didn't post a intro,,:rolleyes:

When I joined the Hamb no one was kind enough to suggest a intro,,I was mandatory and you would get a virtual beating if you didn't,,,the kinder gentler Hamb is so easy now! HRP

3. Hey Blown Mopar, What's it like being part of "its not my job" crowd?

Leave it for the "other guy" alot do you?

Rather than compare this to an HOA, how about compare it to a car club.
    Membership has rules, nobody gets out of line without getting called on it by club members.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

All the early V-6s from that engine family were uneven(ragged) fire, The reintroduced and updated '75 version of the engine was also uneven fire for at least a couple years, then the rod journals on the crank were offset to make it even fire. Racers generally go with uneven fire, mostly because that type of crank is stronger and stiffer than a comparable one with offset rod journals.

5. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Hi Tom, My name is Mark It is going real good today, in fact today is my Birthday. I was born in Rome Georgia and spent time with my father working on old cars. It was not really for the love of it, but that was all he could afford. I love them now. Thanks

6. buds56

buds56

I would check the switch for the torque converter, it may be stuck in the higher stall mode. Hope this helps, Bud

7. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

8. 64special

64special

glad to see i got some attention... lol

i learned something about the nailhead, thanks for that. it's definitely a fireball though, since it says on top. the car runs absolutely great, until it hits that upper limit. then it sputters a bit and goes slightly rich.

i'll check the oil in the rear end. most everything else is new. engine is 125psi in all cylinders. i thought of the clogged muffler, but didn't think it was likely, has anyone had a problem with a clogged muffler before?

here's a couple pictures

Attached Files:

9. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

I don't want to keep this up because it's counter-productive. But just for the record I don't leave to the other guy. I served 20 years in the Army. Two of them in Viet Nam. One of those in an airborne rifle company. And I;ve got the Bronze Star to prove it. I obey the rules here and by the way in my car club. I don't jump on some poor guy 'cause he's asking for help. And by the way car clubs have a Sgt of Arms. Not a bunch of butt-in-skis who want to act like they are in charge. And by the way Happy Birthday Mark. I hope you have a lot more of them

10. 64special

64special

rear end had plenty of oil

11. Road tests from when it was new indicated a top speed of 106MPH with the V6 and 115 with the V8

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

then you have no idea what the HAMB actually has to offer, sir.

actually, we do. ;)

13. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

My hair is grey and my ass is wrinkled. My mind is still hitting on all 8.
    The "internet" was not invented by kiddys.

If your gonads aren't large enough to just walk up and slap somebody that you don't know, at least be big enough to not try and start a shit slinging contest while hiding behind a key board.

You and I don't set the rules here, this board has an excellent set of moderators who do that. If you don't like the rules here just quietly leave to never return.

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Here's a goal for you......many years ago, I had a '64 Skylark hardtop, 225 V6/2 speed automatic for a daily beater. One night, I held it to the floor for around 5 miles on a fairly flat highway, and finally got the needle to touch 100 mph, so I know it's possible. Have someone sit in it (with the engine off!) and hold the accelerator pedal to the floor. Peer down the carb throat with a flashlight and make sure that it's fully opened. That Rochester single barrel can't afford to be misadjusted if you want to squeeze all 17 horses out of that "Fireball".

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are some errors in the above quote. It is true that the 215 V8 and V6 196/225/231 are from the same family...as is the 300 V8 that intro'd in '64.

However as for bellhousing patterns, the 215 V8 and 196 V6 share a common, and unique to them, belhousing pattern thru '63 models. However with the intro of the 225 V6 and 300 V8 in '64 the so-called BOP pattern came into being and continued thereafter on all American built, rear drive, V6 225/231/252 , whether made by Jeep or GM.

When the 3.8 litre (231) was installed into FWD vehicles it got a different bellhousing pattern, the same as GM 4 cyl FWD and 60 degree V6's of varying displacements.

Ray

16. check the muffler and air filter too, its gonna need to breath w/ zero restriction so to speak...also as said, make sure its opening all the way.
    I've also heard of exhaust piping being "layered" on some vehicles and the inner layer collapses some restricting heavy breathing...run great normal driving....dunno if this is even the case with that car though.

17. Mutt

Mutt

I didn't check to see if your car has a heat riser. If it does, make sure it's operating and allowing flow.

Mutt

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

no you don't. :p

but a lot do, and some even go look before answering a question so that they may actually be of more help... :eek:

like you don't have one :eek:

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Oh and just an observation. But of all the people who are bitching about the intros, not one is an Alliance Member. Not one has taken the step to support the site, rather they mooch off of it.

20. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I had a 307 chevelle that would top out at 90 ,Id check the muffler and carb ,Glad zman is back,I needed a good laugh

21. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

easy now....

22. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

oh, someone mentioned fuel pressure.... these old cars often have clogged fuel filters. i'd check that first. my 62 235 started acting up. no power... i'd have it floored going up a slight hill. i removed the fuel filter and it was clogged so badly with rust particles from the gas tank that i couldn't blow any air through it. how the motor got any gas at all was a mystery....

23. gui_tarzan

gui_tarzan
    from MI

64special, you've got a nice one there. If you ever need doors for that, I've got a full set that are 99.9% rust-free.

As far as members/rules/status... it's good netiquette to post an intro with minimal info, that way people know you're not just a spammer. I've been online since the BBS days in the late 80s as a site manager, moderator for several, member on lots, participant on several and it's a generally accepted practice to hammer newbies about this or that. The "Fireball" designation is just a name like "Rocket". There really is nothing to it.

Do take a few minutes to read the rules, stickies, etc. and browse around to get the "flavor" of the board. It helps you get to know people a little better, who to go to for help, who the comedians are (as well as the jerks - every site has them), who may have the same questions you do - the search feature is your friend.

That's not to say don't ask questions - DO! Even us FOGs learn stuff every day. Most of all, don't let the crabby-Pattys discourage you. There are a lot of extremely knowledgeable, experienced people here and you can learn a LOT.

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I was remembering that both the the 196 and 225 were available from the start. Thanks for the correction.

25. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Not trying to micronitpick, but wasn't the '62-'63 engine 198 cubes?

26. johnboy13

johnboy13

Seems like you have a fuel delivery issue. Check the fuel pump or fuel filter. Maybe check the air filter too.