Register now to get rid of these ads!

It'sy Bit'sy Teen'y Weenie Radiator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Koz, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Koz

Koz

I have a nicely Z'd frame that sets my Tudor right where I want it. The problem I have is getting a radiator that will fit in a '32 shell and still line up with my cowl. This means my radiator can be no highter than 18 1/2" and no wider than 22".

I,m cooling a fairly mild 283 that should not be too tough on the antifreeze. Stick trans, which usually runs a little cooler than an auto and an open engine bay. Speedway used to sell a chopped Walker 4 core that filled the bill but I understand this is no longer available. I could have a custom made if necesary, but I would obviously prefer to buy something off the shelf.

As a note, I believe the "Bad News" has the same dimensions as mine. Anybody know what they used?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Walker radiator still makes a 3" chopped 32 radiator....i have a stock height walker here and it measures 27 1/2". now that is a 32 radiator.

Jim Walker (no relation) can build a really bitchin aluminum radiator that will work. http://autoradradiators.com/ Nice work, we use them all the time. he built a 6" chopped 34 radiator for me that fit perfect.

3. fasttrain49

fasttrain49

a 1965 mustang v8 radiator will cool it and is close to that size and you can get them with sbc positioned inlet and outlet.......

4. brandon

brandon

griffin offered a 17and change by 18 and change dragster radiator...used it in my first model a tudor

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

I got a 4" chopped shell and it's over the front crossmember. the core is 17 1/4 wide and 15 tall.

I had an electric fan infront of radiator. Took it off in the fall and have a 15" Speedway 6 blade mech fan now and I built a simple shroud for it. So far, running with hood sides, it's been fine. The temps have made it to 80* already this year and there seems to be no issues. It will heat up idling, stuck in traffic, but has not yet gone over 210. Of course, as soon as the car is moving over 20 mph everything is fine(180). If the hotter weather affects it, I'll take the hood sides off.

This a 283, and T-5.
    The fan is really for low speeds and idling. At road speeds, I never had to run the electric fan, even in 100* heat.

You need vac advance and timing advanced to the right place for your engine for it to run as efficiently and cool as possible and also that's where it's happy making power, too.

Find me at the Violators on Sat and take a look.

Frank

6. Koz

Koz

That's good news Gaspumper. I'll hunt you down Saturday. I'm a real stickler about them running cool and I have some serious worries about the size of the radiator I can fit in. If need be I will rais the body two inches to use the Walker chopped '32 radiator which should come in at about 21" I believe. See you Saturday.

7. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

Check out Geary Portell (Portell Radiator in Missouri) He built my aluminum radiator for my channeled coupe:

[​IMG]

8. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

I got a custom 21" x 13 1/2' X 3" from Brice Thomas radiator for my lastest project. It cools a 300hp SBC and the price was very reasonable. They are great to deal with and I had the radiator in less than a week.

here is a link.

http://www.cgj.com/affiliates/brice-thomas-radiator/