Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best procedure to paint a steering wheel ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jims35, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Jims35

Jims35

What's the best procedure to paint a steering wheel all in one shot and not get runs or light spots ? I was thinking of hanging it from the ceiling with wire so i can get all around it. Is there a better way that you guys have done . JIM

2. super-six

super-six

I use a long threaded rod bolted through the center of the wheel with 2 nuts and large washers. Hang it from the ceiling so the wheel is horizontal. It will be more stable than using a wire.

3. Buz

Buz

I put mine on a shaft so that I could turn it as I was painting. I put the shaft in the bench vise so that the wheel was vertical, so I could paint the front and back without removing the wheel.

4. Jims35

Jims35

Good idea, the only problem is ,i have a 12 foot high ceiling,so i need something a little more down to earth. But thanks for the idea. JIM

5. Jims35

Jims35

Thats a good idea . My vise is pretty close to the car and i have to redo the trunk lid at the same time. Redo because i was pushing it in to my shop with the old farm tractor and it rolled back in to the tractor and scratched the trunk lid bad enough that i have repaint the lid. Maybe i can move the car ahead about 4 feet and have the room. Thanks for the idea. JIM

6. kroozn1

kroozn1

The problem with hanging smaller items to paint is the air pressure is going to move it while you are spraying unless you wire it to some kind of anchor too.

The last steering wheel I painted I put a wood dowel through the center of the wheel and dropped the dowel into the hole I have cut in the grip of my floor jack handle. My poor floor jack handle has held lots of parts to be painted. Itis just too handy and puts things at a decent height still be able to spray both sides. Some tape or foam shim may be needed on the dowel may be needed to take up any slop between the jack handle tube and the dowel.
    If you don't want your jack handle multi colored like mine you can mask it with paper.
    Carl

7. choppermatt

choppermatt

drumm cymbal stand works great for painting any kind of aplication liek this. Find an boom arm that fits in the center of the wheel. you can change the angle of the arm.

8. Jims35

Jims35

Another good idea Carl,and i don't mind a multi colored floor jack,make it easy to get returned when i loan it out L.O.L. Jim

9. Moondog13

Moondog13

Awesome idea! :D

10. Jims35

Jims35