Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flatheads in vintage racing @ Philip Island

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grantw, Apr 18, 2011.

1. grantw

grantw

Hi all, a few weeks back i made the trip to the annual Philip Island Hisotric's in Victoria, for those who dont know, Philip Island is one of the best race tracks in the world (well in my and many other peoples opinion) anyway, the track is used for the World Motorcycle championships, MotoGP (all 3 classes) Superbikes, it is also used for one of the Countries premier racing catagory (V8 Supercars) endurance races.
    but more importantly, in the vintage racing there are a few flathead powered cars running...

Attached Files:

2. Great place for it. I had no idea that there were races like this at the island.

3. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

he grant is that blue 32 roadster a home made aluminium one i love those flathead powered racers .i dreamed of building one but its only a dream for me ,you got a flathead powered car?

4. grantw

grantw

yeah magic place for historic racing. was my first time there, couldnt beleive how much of the track you can see from so many spots.

watching the f5000's around there was awesome. then to follow them up at the GP, well the GP with the big fences and stuff, you realised how spoilt you are at the island

5. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

always good stuff to look at with the historic (? vintage?) racing... there was an article on a guy with a red Ford coupe was it there? ex race car from way back....

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  6. grantw

grantw

from what i know with the 32 is it is a full original steel car. my dad and his mate know more. the other two are very obviously hand made aluminium specials.

i wish i had a flathead powered car, when i was about 17 i stupidly swapped a 48 mecr engine (complete) for a Mini (i know:()
    i currently have a 63 falcon sprint and a 63 cortina gt, not the best option for a flathead!

although i am going to hopefully be running this (dads mates car) at the historic meetings next year...

Attached Files:

7. grantw

grantw

vintage/historic, depends on where you live! i always say historic, but the US it si vintage. is weird saying vintage for cars built in the 60's (akthough they are getting on now)

red coupe? cant say there was. i would have shot it if there was! is it a victorian car? cant say i have seen it at the sandown historic meeting either

8. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

the blue car is hand made aluminium i think its owned by,,Ray Sprague ,,an old rodder from way back ,,he had a 32 roadster years ago running Left Hand Drive in Aust.we are Right Hand Drive ,,i think it was pontiac powered ,,

9. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

'36 I think, in race car engineering mag, was an old race car. Dont think I have that issue with me, somoene else may.

10. grantw

grantw

ok, definitely wasnt there. would be good to see though. will be keeping an eye out at the next meeting i get too. might have to look in some back issues of race car.

yeah that name sounds familiar to what my dad said. dad lived in Vic in the early 70's and was involved in the rodding scene and was telling me that the blue car was an old hot rodder. gee for a hand made aluminium body it is very tidy. very very tidy.