Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I asking too much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64special, Apr 17, 2011.

1. 64special

64special

hey guys... i've got a 64 buick special with a new 225 v6 nailhead in it and the st-300 pitch switch tranny. the motor seems to top out around 65-70 mph or less if i'm on a hill...

is this normal? am i expecting too much from that little v6?

checked fuel delivery by temp installing an electric pump. no change.
    checked fuel mixture with a wideband o2 sensor. goes slightly rich when it maxxes out, like 12:1.
    advancing the timing made no change.

seems like maybe the little single throat rochester bc is maxxed out.

anyone have a stock nailhead v6 in a heavy ass car and can share experiences? anyone have any ideas of things to check? i'm running out of ideas.

2. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

here's an idea... post an intro.

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Imagine walking up to a bunch of strangers as they sit around in a shop...garage.....
    ...whatever. The first words spoken are you jumping in with a bunch of questions.
    Not a great way to start. What you should do is start a casual conversation, introduce yourself. Chat a bit. Then ask your questions. This damned internet has removed all the personal interactions from normal behavior. Start again, do a proper intro the the group. You'll be welcomed and find that there is a lot to learn and share here.
    And, welcome anyway. (smiling)

4. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

is it running out of rpm or power? check tire pressure. check blockage in muffler. check plugs. check distributor. check wires. check rotor check air cleaner, rebuild carb. if that fails, find a better engine....

a proper introduction?! lol..... there's nothing 'proper' about the HAMB.

5. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

x-2

6. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

My 54 Olds has a 324 and doesn't seem to want to do much more than that with an AT and 2 bbl. I don't think it goes any slower than 45 though. Old cars are moody.

7. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

Here's another idea. When a guy ask for help give and don't act likle a snot. I had a '63 Buick skylark convertible. Fun little car but it didn't rip your lips off performance wise. I'm not sure but I'd think a tune up might give you a little more performance. There was a gas chriss (did I spell that right?) back in the 70s and a lot of hot rod guys went to the Buick and Chevy V6s. They are nice little engines and they were dependable. I don't think they were so much of a hot rod though. There is a certian amount of after market stuff to improve the performance if you are wanting to put some money in the car. Wish I had that little convertible back

8. dbradley

dbradley

155hp in a 3250lb car. Yes it should run faster than that.

9. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Do a tune-up, check the carb ( how long since it was rebuilt?), Is the Automatic slipping?, U-joints bad?, rear end low on fluid?, brakes dragging?. With old cars there is now onboard diagnostics. You have to check each component, each adjustment, and then figure out what is wrong. do some searchins here , learn a lot, and then ask some more questions and welcome to the HAMB.

10. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I had a 65 f-85 with the same engine although it was a 3 speed stick. The car ran good, even though yours has the 2 speed it should run much better than your describing. Like others have said check compression, timing etc.

11. felix37

felix37

Sorry for the warm welcome 64 special! some people just think they are the hall monitors of the HAMB. Most of us won't throw you under the bus for not knowing to introduce yourself.

12. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

No such thing as a Nailhead V6! The 225 v6 is known as a fireball!

13. petebert

petebert

Statistics show 138k registered users here, gonna take a guess not nearly that many would have read his intro.

14. 5window

5window

I checked the last 5 pages of Intros-like 180? Only 3 had more than 20 replies. I'd rather someone posted a profile you could actually get information from that an intro that's "Hey, I like cars, always have, someday I'll have a hot rod".

Welcome to the HAMB,64Special. Post some pictures, say hello, when you can. Good luck with your car.

15. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Those cars weren't over powered, but they weren't as bad as you indicated. Based on your description it sounds like the car runs fine, but behaves like it has a governor. That makes me suspect a fuel delivery problem. It sounds like you eliminated the possibility of a bad pump. Check filters/flow to the carb, and flow into the carb. If that doesn't find tyhe problem check for one or more of the other suggestions posted.

16. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

Check fuel pressure too.

17. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

What is the point of this?:confused: Introduction post or not, most people here don't know each other and never will. That's just how internet forums are.

18. the 215 v8 was the fireball.

19. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I don't know what Buick called the 215 but they definately called the 198-225 V6 fireball in the early 60's.

20. rgaller

rgaller

Therein lies the problem...most of the old guys on this board don't understand how the internet works:rolleyes:

21. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

You are correct, but I was not telling the OP about the 215 v8

The 215 was the predecessor to the 225 v6, they were both known as the fireball.
    When the 225 was sold to JEEP, it became the Dauntless

22. jguff

jguff

THe V-6 is not a nailhead. The Buick nailhead V-8 was only produced from 1953 through 1966 in displacements of 322, 364, 401 and 425 cubic inches. No other engines had the small vertically oriented vaves which led to the nailhead nickname. Valve covers which look like the nailhead valve covers do not make other engines "nailheads".

Jerome

23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I had a 225 V-6 in a 1968 Jeepster Commando Roadster, original motor w/ turbo 400 trans . It was really a peppy little motor, it had 10:1 compression, they were rated at either 140 or 160 hp. My Model A has a 1975 231 odd fire V-6, its scoots along pretty good, It'll cruise at 80, but drops speed when you get to hills. Plus its as aerodynamic as a barn door.
    Buick developed the motor as a 196 & 225, those early ones probably have the old bell housing pattern. GM sold the tooling to Kaiser Jeep in 1966, and they used the engine through 1971 these have the BOP bellhousing pattern. After AMC bought Kaiser Jeep, the tooling went back to GM. Buick brought the 231 to market in 1975, then changed it to even fire in mid 1977. Buick went to a higher port head in 1979. The HEI from mid 77 and earlier 231 will work on the older engines. Many of the aftermarket four barrel intakes, such as Offenhauser & Holley are designed for the 1978 and earlier heads (way back to the 225).

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The iron 196 Buick V-6, iron 225 BuickV-6, and aluminum 215 Olds/Buick V-8 engines were all the same engine family. They shared a bellhousing pattern that was unique to those engines(and the later Rover produced 215s). I'm not sure what bellhousing pattern(s) the jeep versions of the V-6 used. When the V-6 was re-introduced by GM in '75 as a 231 it had a bellhousing pattern common to other GM engines.

25. Invicta

Invicta

Hi, Im Tom. How's it going today? I was born in a quiet little town in Arkansas. As I grew up I developed a love for Traditional hot rods and customs. I have owned several old cars but currently own a 1952 Ford F1. Now that I have opened with a little story about my self I would like to leave a comment. I agree with the last guy.

26. Mutt

Mutt

And a lot of the younger guys don't know how this site works.:rolleyes:

It's laid out in the intro section Ryan created years ago - pretty plain and simple to understand. Even for guys who understand how the internet works.:eek:

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Mutt

27. Maybe so,but at least us old farts know how to follow the rules which Ryan suggest in the FAQ's.:rolleyes:

As for the question,,the early v6 were also odd firing if I remember correctly but refer to (rgaller) I'm sure he can set the record straight,HRP

28. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

29. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

30. gui_tarzan

gui_tarzan
    from MI

64special, don't let these grumpy old guys get you down. A short intro is nice, it tells us sort of where you're at in terms of automobiles. Welcome.

I had a '64 Special with the 225 V6 along with several 64-65 Skylark/Specials over the years with the 300 V8 and actually have one 340 V8 right now. The 225 was essentially a 300 with two cylinders taken out of the middle. Some internal parts interchange from what I recall as well as stuff on the front of the engine. The bellhousing was NOT different from the 300/340/350, I used the ST300 trans behind a 300. I sold the motor to a friend that needed to replace the 225 in his Jeep.

When I had the car on the road it was very peppy. I raced an early 70s Dart with a slant 6 and had him beat handily until my tach shorted out. It was actually a nice engine for a V6. My wife said it sounded like an airplane when I had duals out the back put on it. ;)