Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 150.00 Dollars !!! to register

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubby44, Apr 16, 2011.

1. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

People tell me I am cheap. I havent restored my stock 31 roadster just for this reason, It is worn out but I drive it once a year to pomona for the LA roadster show just so I dont have to pay to get in. When I want to go to the pomona swap meet I take my stock 31 coupe so I can get in free there as well and get good parking inside. I also do the burbank roadkings car show as it is free. I do pay to get into the antique nationals $25.00 but I bring my own picnic lunch and feel the cost is worth it as I get to see all the neat old cars go down the track. Plus you can race your car if it passes the saftey check. Other than that I drive to some of the shows but dont enter my car. I do a few cruise inns or just go for a drive to the park to have a picnic lunch. and yes I also have gotton a lot of greef for not wanting to pay to put my cars in shows.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like 90% of you have never been involved in putting on an event of any size or caliber. Those are usually the ones who bitch the loudest and longest.

You want to listen to a band or several bands, they don't play for free anywhere I have been.
    Fairgrounds or other bigger venues charge some pretty stiff fees and have fees and charges for everything along with full control over all food and beverage sales.
    Those venues require the sponsor to carry some pretty big insurance policies.
    The Vintiques of Yakima, Wa put on a pretty good run on the last weekend of July/first weekend of August. Getting up close to their 40th. Hot August Nights has beat them out of a lot of rods in the last few years and they opened it up to 72 model vehicles. They charge around 60 something bucks for the entry fee but you and yours get fed twice during the weekend if your lifestyle isn't too high zoot to eat what they offer. That makes it pretty reasonable for a guy, his lady and a couple of kids.

But some clubs could lower the entry fees a bit if they would cut out a few things that most guys don't really care about anyhow. One here locally makes a big deal out of having an engine built every year to give away as the big door prize. dropping the cost of that engine would probably allow them to cut the cost of entry fees ten bucks a car and still net the same money from the event.

But I always figure in what the outfit putting on the show is giving me for my entry fee in other ways when I choose where I go. I go to Goodguys as much for the vendors building as I do for the cars. Getting to see the parts I see in the magazine or online adds first hand and being able to ask the people who make the parts questions is worth a lot.

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep!---You & "Burn out Bob" see it for the true meaning of showing off your cars, thats why LAR club has survived over all these years of putting on that first class operation. Like so many of you have said, without the cars---You have nothing!---Over the years the coveted English Pewter engraved mug given out to all open car entrants is just a way of saying thanks for helping to make the show a huge success that it is!-----Don

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's this years LAR flyer!

Attached Files:

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the only one with much of an idea. I know the club I was involved in put on a full week end run, it costs money to do that! We would charge as little as possible for entry fees but made sure that we cover the cost to put the run on.
    I think the big difference was, if there was any money left over (ie:we made a profit) every cent went into next years run and if we could, next year would cost the participants less.
    Anyone out to make a profit should take there ass far away from Hot Rodding, your not one of us.:mad:

Doc.

6. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

L.A Roadster show. $25.00 for two days, swap meet , vendors & Free parking for Vintage cars. Best damn show around.

7. peter johnson

peter johnson

Gotta pay for those wanker trophies some guys need,they can afford for someone to build them a car,so $150 isnt to much!

8. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Couldnt you like have regular hamb car shows? And totally cut out all the other car shows totally. Theres a huge number of members even if you just charged a little to rent somewhere for a couple of days. Once it gets around it`ll be just like any other car show.

9. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Like making a movie without having to pay the actors---fat chance.

10. They don't get the money if you don't take the wallet out. Did you build the car to show ? I build a car for my own satisfaction. I will pay a modest fee only if I feel I will be satisfied at the end of the day.

11. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Here's a thought.

Instead of paying $100 plus to participate in a car show, organize a drive-by cruise with a bunch of other guys who'd rather drive than pay that much to park. Meet up in the parking lot of a conveniently located local shopping center or mall near the event early in the morning, cruise over to some breakfast spot for a bite to eat, then head out for a long, scenic drive that at some point winds back to rumble past the event in a long line of rods that doesn't stop as a demonstration of the number of folks not willing to pay that much to participate in their event.

Be sure to wave an appropriate number of fingers as you pass.

:cool:

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not renting a venue, hence no insurance on their part. and on and on.

Thank you...

Hamb Drags, Hot Rod Revolution... that's 2 official a year... and a whole bunch more that mind as well be...

13. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Take the 150, and add another 70 bucks , and buy yourself a round trip ticket to the Lone Star Round up , and thats flying from the west coast.

14. erlomd

erlomd

It should be free to show off your car at events, I mean do people charge artist who perform in concert or do they charge admission to the people attending? I mean what I'm saying is that the cars are always the main event. If not cater to the owners then at least give em free admission and charge the he'll out of vendors and spectators. At least the local cruise nights are free to everyone...well, at least all the ones I've been to....sheeesh!

15. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

LA Roadster Show, one of the best shows anywhere, is free to enter. You also get a great free meal for two people. You also get a free metal mug. You also get to see California.

16. I'll settle for strippers and shade...

17. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Renting the fairgrounds to hold Back to the Fifties in Minnesota costs over $1 million dollars.

18. Fairgrounds and liability insurance are not cheap. Most fairgrounds are brutal to deal with and I would not put on an event without liability insurance. Don't want to pay, don't go. And this is coming from someone that also thinks that without the guys bringing the cars, there is no show. Pat

19. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

California! Nuf said!

20. Heo

Heo

Did i get this right you have to pay to put your car in a show???
    So they can charge people to lock att your car?????
    Why the hell is some one paying to show there car????
    Im not a cheap bastard but hell no im paying a showpromotor
    to use my car so he can make money no way. Im not so horney
    for attention
    and the times i got some thropy i throw them away or gave them
    to some kid outside the show

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

My guess is this thread could have been started in 1952 and the results would be the same.

22. ScottV

ScottV

Will there be ... C:cool::cool:KIES ??? :p

23. ragtop35

ragtop35

I was told that now some shows in California have two price levels. A higher price that lets you get in early and "power park" and get the "spot light" parking spots. Then for a lesser amount, you get in later and get whats left.

24. MODELA30

MODELA30

WHEN I WAS IN THE LOWRIDER SCENE LOWRIDER MAGAZINE WOULD CHARGE $45.00 FOR EVERY CAR THAT ENTERED THAT SHOW. THEN THEY WOULD CHARGE $25.00 PER PERSON AT THE DOOR TO ENTER THAT WAS THE HIGHEST AT THAT TIME TO ENTER ANY SHOW. THE PLACE WAS PACKED I UNDERSTAND THE COST OF THE VENUE THE CONCERT THE SECURITY, BUT WAIT A MINUTE. DID YOU CHARGE THE RAPPERS AND DANCERS TO BE IN YOUR SHOW. NOT!!!!!! THEY WOULD HAVE WALKED. SO WHY CHARGE THE CAR OWNER. THE ONLY REASON I WENT WAS TO PROMOTE MY BUSINESS, I DID IT AS A ADVERTISMENT AND MY TAXES REFLECTED THAT. BUT THAT ALWAYS BUGGED ME TO SOME POINT AND THAT IS WHY I NEVER ENTERED MY CARS OR BIKES AT ANY SHOW THAT CHARGES ME. LAST YEAR I WENT TO VOODOO LARRY'S OPEN HOUSE IN SHAMBURG ILLINOIS AND WON BEST FLAKE PAINT JOB ON A BIKE AND I HAVE A HOME MADE TROPHY TO TOP IT ALL OFF AND ALL I PAID WAS FOR THE FOOD THAT I HAD. THAT TROPHY WAS WELL WORTH GOING TO THAT SHOW AND I WILL NEVER GET RID OF IT. AS FOR THE TROPHYS I GOT AT THE LOWRIDER SHOWS I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM. Knuck From Indiana.

25. I'm assuming the promotors of this event aren't spending their own money to put it on. Leaves one to wonder where the money is going for the more spendy shows. Just sayin...

26. Heo

Heo

HAHAHAH you kidding ??right???

Send them stupid monkeys showingoff at the zoo a bill and Rembrant
    or whoever painted the Monalisa

My carclub organized a show for 15-20 years in a row once a year.
    We rented we insured we PAYED the carowners to come we gave them
    dinner and some shitty trophys. And we made enough profit to run the
    club for a year. And that included the rent for the clubs 10 car garage
    with welders. machines.heating.paintboot.phone. electrisity.car hoist.
    steam washer powertools and so on so on.

27. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

Vote with your dollars. Don't go.

28. My friend and I went to a car show. There was the spectator parking lot right next to the show lot. More people paid the spectator fee and left their car and walked into the show. More people ended up going to the spectator lot to see cars. The only cars in the show lot were gold chainers and imports.

29. Kenny P

Kenny P

150 BUCKS? :eek:
    That's just outright ree-diculous!
    Who actually has that to spend to show their car?

Maybe it's just me.:(

30. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Well I will be taking my Prevost and enclosed trailer the one that has ac and my red 32 3 window and my wife with the boob job and my grey poupon NO just kidding!! Wow gold chainers ! and I know what it cost to put on a car show we did it for 25 years !!does this include a hotel room and gas !!:D