Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worlds fastest Commer...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Commer, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

ha ha ,yes NZ definitly!, i am sure there is at least one hot rodded Commer there. Plenty of Commer Cob vans were built into gassers too.
    In my early teens I was rooting a sheila whose dad had a commer truck that we would 'use'. We were heading out in it one night and i looked on the back to see a huge Pig standing in a crate on the back ( her dad ran a farm ) . We went to the movies and parked it out front with this monster pig sitting there watching people as they walked past...:D
    A real Kiwi Commer would look like one these though..
    http://www.htnz.co.nz/gallery/housetrucks/

2. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

The UK Vintage truck scene is very active and there are a few magazines where some of the more interesting Commers and their little sisters,the "Karrier" are often featured. The Commer knocker is a Rootes 3 cylinder six piston supercharged two stroke horizontally opposed engine. They are very small and very powerful . Some big trucks were powered with them. We had a 65 foot boat powered with one...

The Rootes blower from the knocker,not to be confused with the ROOTS blower ,was neat little unit and was often fitted to cars down under to provide a bit of horsepressure .

If the fuel injection pump was jiggled a bit,you could get extra power from the knocker and to hear that two stroke scream was amazing as was the stream of sparks out the exhaust under load.

The Chrome bits on the Cab overs was pretty cool,here are some pics of them,
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/550601410pXLKGj

3. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Just seen this and like it lots!, I always wanted to rod this one I had but it was just too nice, [​IMG]

4. Thanks for the links and for the nice comments, it sure is inspiring.
    Unfortunately the old computer crashed the other day and I lost most of the latest pictures (the oldest was safetly copied!)... A stupid flu and a lot of travelling work have been keeping me away from the garage, so the progress is slow. I will post new pictures as soon as I have time for the project.
    Thanks.

5. Some small updates.
    The projects for the moment are fixing rust and put in a floor.
    I choose to make it as two hatches, to be able to reach the battery, brake fluid reservoar and gas tank.
    The fire wall will get a smoother apperence.
    And fixing rust...

Attached Files:

6. The fire wall will get some grooves for better stability and sound dampening.

I wish all you great lovers of fast moving, low creeping, loud sounding vehicles a very happy new year!

Toni

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
  7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Looking good Toni...Have a great New Year...

R-

8. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Hi Toni...
    Happy New Year buddy....... Trucks looking nice.. do I see the markings for the roof to be lowered ??? :D:D:D
    hope we get meet up in a couple of weeks... see if you can make it up to Orebro.. as my layover in Stockholm is very short..

Roach

9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

In the early to mid 90's the High School Auto Shop class in Chilton, WI did a S10 with an Olds Tornado engine and driveline package in the bed.

When I last saw it they were working on the problem of keeping the front wheels on the ground.

10. Commer

Commer

It seems like I managed to log in with different user names...
    Sorry about that, but Commer and Muller (my family name) is the same user.

Btw, did you know that the word "muller" in swedish means "rumble" or "thunder".....?
    So far I've only lived up to that name after eating beans, but soon....:eek:

"... problems of keeping the front wheels on the ground." We had a fatal accident some years ago with a guy who managed to flip his mid engined chassies upside down while testdriving. No roll cage, no body attached, no seat belt... Wheelie bars are not always for "decoration".
    Regardless, nobody would be happier than me if I manage to get the front wheels airborn!!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  11. Commer

Commer

Me again...

I have to admit it, I've been cheating!!!
    I run out of sheet metal trying to learn how to form a lower cabcorner!
    So this is how I did it:

Cut a piece of exhaust pipe into four, lengthwise.
    Bend that last piece of sheet metal over your knee.
    Weld it together.
    Cut away the last owners attempt....
    And weld the whole piece edge to edge to the cab.

Cheating... yes but what the...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  12. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

It's net cheating when you work smarter and not harder... I'm bout to board my plane ... See ya Monday eve.. The inspection you set up. Is it near orebro ? I will get there late sun.
    Roach

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats not cheating and it is pretty creative.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Updates? Chop that roof yet??

15. Commer

Commer

Nah...
    Closer inspection shows that the lower part of the door was worse then I expected. It didn't even fit in the opening...
    So, before I swing the axe, the doors have to be rebuilt.
    And yes, I'm gonna try to weld right in the middle of the doorskin! :eek: The metal is very thin too. Probably around 0,8 mm.
    Why do it the easy way??? life is a life long learning.
    They say...

Attached Files:

16. pitman

pitman

Thanks for giving us a good dose of creative design work!
    Nice progress so far.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couldn't agree more! :D:D:D

So when do we at least get to hear this thing run? Great progress!

18. Commer

Commer

As soon as I can get hold of that soap box to replace the cab with, like Rat Rod Roach suggested!!!

19. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Hi Toni
    In the states we call them milk crate's... they work best for seats for the first test drive..:D:D Hey everybody at the factory still thinks it was a coincidence that your inspection in that neck of the woods just happened to be when I was in town... We'll just let them think that... good to see ya again and it was a nice dinner.... wish I had more time to hang out in the garage to see the commer up close.... next trip, I'll swing it...back to the garage my friend...:D

Roach

20. Commer

Commer

Thanks again for all those positive comments. It makes you work just a little bit harder to get it right!
    Roach: It will be harder for me to do an "inspection" in Colorodo... but I sure will try!

21. Commer

Commer

Just realized that the lower parts of the door skins must be "double curved" witch requires an English Wheel or something...:mad:.
    But that Internet came to my rescue in form of this site:
    http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/12ewheel.html
    I just followed Frank Kocinski II and Frank Kocinski III's instructions and now I have this tool too.

Thanks Frank and Frank!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  22. adams27

adams27

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Commer

Commer

Been on the road for the company a lot lately, but here's some things I been experimenting with...
    The thin doors created a slight problem when it came to put in power windows. After some hours at the junk yard I fond some from a SAAB 9000 rear doors who fitted fairly well.
    The switch is camoflaged behind a Volvo PV crank.
    Also changed the locking mechanism (Renault Clio) and took away the outer door handle.
    Am waiting for some used solenoids from a Security safe money bag (!) to manouver the locks.
    Also welded and folded some sheet metal on various places on the doorskin.

Attached Files:

25. sololobo

sololobo

What a blast bro, this truck is so unique, not many of us have even seen one. The International range of this site is so cool, it allows us to experience way hip builds like yours. Power on man this is ass kicken. Bravo and a big THANX! ~sololobo~

26. Mart

Mart

Just subscribed to this -

Tell me. what size tyres are you running?

Mart.

27. noboD

noboD

Good imagination, I like your truck.

28. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Hi Toni .... power windows ??? ( lazy ) :D I love it.... looks good...
    are them micro switchs from the new buffer ??? ha ha just asking. Your inspiration makes me want to finish the honey do's ahead of schedule and get back in my garage....:eek: when you get it rolling, Im planning my next trip.
    nice job buddy.

Roach

29. Commer

Commer

Hi Mart
    Im running 235-75/15 front and 265-70/15 back.
    For more "inspiring driving" I will go lower profiles and more ET on the front wheels.
    Thanks

30. Commer

Commer

Michael!
    How can you insinuate such a bad thing, stealing switches from our buffers!!!
    Good idea, will see if they are easy to stea... borrow, for the other door!:cool:
    You are welcome to our tiny little country anytime, you know that!
    Rod on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.