Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Subtle Six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 15, 2011.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

"First off I would"? OK I did. But I'm not sure why. Or "I was just going" You want me gone. Not all that unusual.

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool Stuff hope the Family cleans it up makes it roadworthy and drives it . But whats up with the wrapped horseshoe ?

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I was thinking the taped up horseshoe is a quickie tow bar for real short pulls out of a garage, etc while the car was not completely driveable;

Pull close a tow vehicle with a similar style bumper to the 40. Slip the horseshoe over the two bumpers and away you go. The tape keeps the shoe from slipping off and might somewhat protect the surface from gouging. The older Gent owner thought of a quick fix to breaking his back pushing it alone.

What's with the suit and tie for the magazine shoot!!?? Maybe the feature was shot outside his office, during a work day or right after church?

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Damn was just looking at the article on that car the other day.......life is funny...sweet find and I also hope they just make it safe and drive it

5. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

So, I guess you guys don't think I should tub it? Fabmancoe

6. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

OK, I was just kidding, not a chance this car will get tubbed as long as I'm alive. Ryan thanks for the post. All the opinions are great as I have not exactly decided what direction I will go on the restoration of the car. As indicated on other posts, I am very interested in the california history of the car,if anyone can help I would like too hear from you. Here is link to more info. Thanks http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578054

7. catdad49

catdad49

40's have always been one of my favs. Put that sucker on the road as is, drive it, nurture it, enjoy it!! You'll be the envy of most and scorned by the "purists", but who cares. Keep us updated and share some pics of your truck also. Be safe, Cat

8. sololobo

sololobo

Man, this is the coolest Jimmy install ever. xderelict just scored a sweet 302, so this lights our fire big time. Thanx for a ultra interesting feature post. ~sololobo~

9. Man--drop a crate 350/350TH drivetrain in that, some new paint and sound system, and 20 inch Foose billet rims, and you're ready to go--Restomod, baby!
    -------------------------------------------------------

Just kidding--that car is beyond awesome as it is. Love the history on it too--clean it up, new brakes and rubber, and drive it. I'd love to find something like that--Please more pics!

10. hotrod-steve

hotrod-steve
    from canada

Good observation Frog, looks like a 39 with 40 Deluxe doors,dash,and front end.I put 40 standard front end on my 39 gasser. Parts are very interchangable between the two. Anyway,the car is a piece of history and should be preserved.

11. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

that car was built for street racing if iv ever seen one. I remember a guy baknthday who ran a stock looking 37 chev coupe with that same combo and he was beating all the early ohv engined cars in town for quite awhile. Also make a great rum runner machine, them Jimmys were the hot ticket to any of the knowledgable guys back then. And didnt need no Wayne head, guy I worked with held some records at bonnevile with his stock ported head, against the Wayne's.

12. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

39cent, You make a good point, they did call the car a sleeper in the article. The car was raced for a short time after coming to Ohio(magnolia drag strip) it was in H gas class. I am in process of getting pics and times/speed, the rumor is a 13 second car? If that is true it seems respectable. I have driven the car, as I stated earlier but it currently has 2.99 gears in the rear plus I respect the car too much to run it very hard. I am anxious to drive the 40 pu I am putting together with the jimmy with..fuel inj. and turbo charger, I may lean on it a little more. take care fabman