Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pinstripe no nothing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnnyboy110, Sep 20, 2010.

1. johnnyboy110

johnnyboy110
    from Ohio

So I started to do some stripping this last June so I really don't know a lot of the technic or more importantly the technical aspect. In particular, paint. When I first started painting in June it was 75-80 degrees and a comfortable humidity. The paint loaded well and stayed usable for a long time. Maybe an hour, And during that hour it was not to tacky or runny. Now that the weather has cooled a little(high 60's to low 70's), the paint seems to suck. It super runny the first 3-5min and then I only have a 20-30min window till it turns so tacky it makes the brush to stiff to use. I have to unload and then reload to finish a project(I'm new so it take me some time to find my design). If anyone on here is an Old Skool pinstiper and can help me figure out my paint problem I would be great full.

P.S. heres some of my work

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

What are you using for paint?

I usually have less of a window at higher temperatures. I'm using One Shot.

3. johnnyboy110

johnnyboy110
    from Ohio

One shot is what I use also. i would think the one would have a shorter window of time a higher temps also but it seem to be the opposite. Do you thin with mineral spirits or anything else???

4. So how's that "stripping" working out for you? Do they throw the dollar bills at you or stuff them in your waistband?
    Sorry. I couldn't help myself.:)

5. johnnyboy110

johnnyboy110
    from Ohio

bow chicka wow wow!!!! Ya got me, I totaly suk et spilleng :D

6. You need to work out of 2 cups, one for paint, the other for reducer.
    They get combined on the pallet, and adjusted as necessary.
    Don't try working straight out of the can.

7. johnnyboy110

johnnyboy110
    from Ohio

I keep my paint in little bottles and use just what I need by putting the paint on a magazine or a paint tray. The only thing I have ever used as reducer was mineral spirits. What would u recommend for reducer???

8. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Throw a couple drops of penatrol in to slow the drying time or use EDGE as your thinner. You can probable get it at the same place you got the 1-Snot! I mix the paint and thinner together in a Dixie cup and pallet on the inside of cup but its a good idea to have a cup of thinner on the side incase you need to give the brush a quick dip for a little extra thinner. I like to keep the paint on the thicker side so i can pull them skinnys tight!

9. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Lacquer thinner works good on cold days, Plenty of people will scream and holler you can't do that. But it works and works good for me. Try it out see how it works for you.

10. johnnyboy110

johnnyboy110
    from Ohio

Awesome, thanks for all the info. Hopefully i can get the paint thing down. I think one of my problems is that i don't use enough paint. I fucked around with it last night and same thing. Paint dried to fast. I only used about two nickel sized drops. I'll try again tonight with a lil more paint and see what happens. Thanks again for the info.

11. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I'd be leery of using laquer thinner. I'm not a pin striper but I have seen laquer thinner raise paint. I'd hate to start pin striping some one's car and watch the lines start to raise.

Just my 2¢

12. As the other guys had said, don't try to premix your paint, it continually evaporates, use your magazine to pallet the consistency that feels right. This may take some time to get the feel, but you'll get it soon enough. Watch as many you-tube videos as you can for inspiration and technique, also go to some jams and watch the others at work. Beyond that, another year of practicing until you hate it will help a whole bunch, ever look at the Pinhead Lounge site either? Lots of help out there, get ahold of the POO gang(Pinstripers Of Ohio) Chooey, J-Bird, Dirty Dag and the rest . These guys are good and they just might teach ya some tricks?

See Ya,
    Curse...

http://www.pinheadlounge.com/Curse

13. EllisPinstriping

EllisPinstriping
    from clover, sc

i use mineral spirits to thin my stuff out but everyone has their own techniques and its just watever you prefer to use

14. johnnyboy110

johnnyboy110
    from Ohio

This is what I have available to me so it is what i use. The two cup thing is working great. Thanks Unkl Ian and everyone else.

P.S. heres my latest piece I did for my Dad. I wasn't to happy with the Black designs but oh well. I think it would have looked a lot better if I used a real dark grey. I might do another for him so we'll see. Havin fun though

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  15. johnnyboy110

johnnyboy110
    from Ohio

Its a bottle-a-booze

Attached Files:

16. I wouldn't expect to keep the paint at the exact rlight consistency in the cup for very long. Temperature, humidity, and sometimes it even seems like the color of the paint you're using can all effect how fast or slow it dries. At least it seems that way in my limited experience. :rolleyes: Mixing paint and thinner on the pallet as you load the brush, as mentioned above, sounds like the way to go.

I've almost always used mineral spirits for reducing, but have on occasion also used turpentine. Can't remember if it seemed to speed up or slow down the drying time.

17. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Are you striping in direct sunlight? If so,go into some shade.

How old is your paint? Old paint is contrary.

Use Mineral Spirits. One Shot loves it some Mineral Spirits.

Is there loose debris on your work surface? You can't pull lines in a quarry? If it's dirty that'll clot your brush and paint.Steel bristled brushes work best on rust;not Macks.

These seem to be issues that may directly influence your striping.I'm just trying to help.
    The images above seem to show what looks like a rusty surface.You might want to try
    a pane of glass or smooth-painted metal for practice?

Welcome to the "Stripe Club." You can talk about "Stripe Club."
    (That damn punk ass Brad Pitt can't talk it or pinstripe! I'm not a pretty man and I can pinstripe so I can say that.)

18. rancid737

rancid737

what do you get when you cross a brown chicken and a brown cow? Brownchickenbrowncowwwwwwwwwwwwww....

19. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I know some will not agree with still, but after talking to the folks at 1-Shot do not use mineral spirits to thin it. When the MAN, the EPA, made them take the lead out of their paint and they changed the formula. The resins they added to make uo for the lead are not compatible with mineral spirits and sometimes they separate. These will make the color in your lines look ragged with clear areas. I only Penetrol to make it flow better. I add a little 1-Shot Hi-temp thinner to slow drying in hot weather and Low-temp thinner to speed drying. It is not a good idea to use lacquer thinner in 1-Shot because it will dry duller and will be less durable.

20. johnnyboy110

johnnyboy110
    from Ohio

Very good stuff to know. Where do you get Penetrol???? I buy my 1-Shot at summit cuz its close but I haven't seen Penetrol.

21. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

google it up and there it will be, the penetrol that is.

I still use mineral spirits and some reducer from time to time.

I prefer straight mineral spirits for the most part.

If that one shot is old, has skimmed over, has been remixed, etc. it is just plain a pain.

Just dip the old brush in some mineral spirits and then pick up your paint and pallet. Too thin, add more paint, to thick, add more spirit.

22. dirtball666

dirtball666

pretty much all i was gonna say has been said. but yeah, try and clean the surface a bit, work on your thinner mix. mineral spirits and just find the right mix that gives you a good amount of drag but still gets paint off the brush. i've realized that the better gear you have the easier shit is. get good paint, good brushes and just pend time with it. you only get better by dicking off with it. have fun