Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Dog427435

Dog427435

Various shots taken at Daytona - late fifties - early sixties

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dog427435

Dog427435

3. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

You mean Fireball Roberts. There was Ray Fox who owned and worked on Grand National Cars, but as far as I know, he never worked for the Fish team. I know Red Vogt was the main mechanic on the M-1 Buick Grand National Racecar driven by Fireball.

4. cth16

cth16

That is Ray Fox.

5. KARL WORTMAN

KARL WORTMAN
    from AKRON, OH

The blue Ford at the top is Jody Ridley I beleive.

6. toomuchcountry

toomuchcountry
    from Tennessee

Whoa! I believe this one is from the inaugural Daytona 500 in 1959. That's Lee Petty, the ultimate officially-named winner, in the foreground. And Johnny Beachamp, the flagged winner, should be one of the cars approaching from pit road. Cool shot - I've only seen this view on some old video footage.

7. Dog427435

Dog427435

[​IMG]

Raymond Lee Fox Sr - was known as Fireball Fox during his racing career,before he built engines & race cars.He drove the Fish Carburetor "M" cars before Fireball Roberts.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  8. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

A friend from Wausau Wis is looking for a picture of Dick Trickles 1st car he owned. The picture I put on was Dicks 2nd. The 1st car would have had a blue roof not white. His 1st car he raced was a 50 dodge I think with 84 or 82 number on it, he shared the car with another driver. The guy from Wausau has a Trickle model collection. Over 125 cars had and raced he is down to the last 2. I gave him a pic of the 3rd car he needed. He will have a traveling display of them when he gets them done. Can anyone help. The pics would be from 1959 and earlyer.

9. coyotebilly26

coyotebilly26

Can anyone give me any information as to who this is and what track ( I think it might be Kalamazoo Michigan, but not sure)

10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I don't know where it was taken, but pictures like this one will get this thread locked down again. Please do not post any pictures of cars with bodies that would not have been available before the late 60s or very early 70s.

Thank You. Gene

11. Racewriter

Racewriter

Wouldn't you just love to go back and ask - who in the hell thought a Studebaker Lark could run with the Oldses, Pontiacs, and T-Birds? Yes, I know the Loewy Coupes ended up winning several Mod races at Daytona, but they had different engines.

12. Sparks75

Sparks75
    from Troy, Ohio

Dick Kelly at Shady Bowl Speedway - mid 60's

13. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

14. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

15. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

16. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

This is Dick Trickles 2nd car a 56 ford, and Tom Reffners 3rd car olds. View attachment 1299209 This is Jim Backs 1st car a 1954 murc, he raced for 2 years and was bought by Tom Reffner. #9 is unknown. View attachment 1299210 The info was given to me inperson by Tom Reffner. Sorry I'am not the best at this picture and word putting in thing:rolleyes:.

17. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

View attachment 1299215 #65 is Vic Kopaz, 1st man to have slicks on his car. He was the man to beet till alot of other drivers got slicks. #16 is Les Kazner. #14,#38,#42, and #51 unknown at this time.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] The old 97 car, Driver is last name Hanneman. The car was the old mule that was diven by my dad. These are the only pictures I've found and have.

18. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

These pictures are all from Griffith Park Speedway in Wisconsin Rapids.

19. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

How new of stuff can be put on this photo sight? 1980 and older?

20. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

Tom Reffners olds is a 1955. It was fast he said, but the car wouldn't corner. The murc he got from Jim Back was very fast car. I've been taking Notes not to forget.

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

We were doing that, but one of the moderators says we have to keep it to the mid-60s or before.

22. KARL WORTMAN

KARL WORTMAN
    from AKRON, OH

We raced a few times against Tony at Midvale Speedway.. One of the ideas we stole from him was to place the hinges to the hood up so to let air flow to the engine ( This is obvious if you look at his early Camaro ). Tony was a fan favorite, a great racer, and all around nice guy. He will surly be missed.

23. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

I will be putting stuff on here from 1976 and older. I hate to say it, but there is old stuff from the 70's that is hard to find. If there is a chance of making another historic stock car photos from the 80's I would have stuff to add to. There is 3 of us in Rapids that are collecting race photos and ect, to have a acount of cars drivers tracks and other things. There will be a lunch and meeting place coming in june or july, Reffner, Marzofka, Sommers, Maybe Trickle, and other race car drivers will be invided to go threw all that we have collected so far. History leaves us everyday, so its time to keep some be for its gone. Tom Reffner suggested to have a meeting with all the old racers.

24. KARL WORTMAN

KARL WORTMAN
    from AKRON, OH

Mark....... Capt Sizzle.. Brad. Capt Crunch.

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Mid '60s or older, please...

26. KARL WORTMAN

KARL WORTMAN
    from AKRON, OH

Mark was involved in an accident a few years back, which I heard made it difficult to turn his head as needed in stock car racing. So he now runs a Top Sportsman drag car ( Camaro ) that goes over 200 MPH in the quater mile.

27. k9racer

k9racer

PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!!!!!! WE DO NOT WANT TO MAKE METALSHAPERS MAD.!!!!!!!!!. Please keep it 60s and earlier.. I really enjoy this thread..I and many others would like for it to stay alive........ Thank You.. Bobby

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

For your later photos, go to trackforum.com. In DannyB's Dirt & Circle racing, we're accepting up through the 80s. There's also a NASCAR thread in that section. We have to respect metalshapers' rules, it's his game and we are guests.

29. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

You have a link to that site for us computer challenged folk? Gene

30. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I have exchanged PMs with Metalshapes. For clarification, this is where we stand.

>>>Any pre muscle car era cars are within the scope of this thread. All Camaro, Torino, Road Runner, or 67 & newer Mustang era cars are off topic and run the risk of closing this thread. That should give everyone a pretty clear picture of what is acceptable. All off topic pictures (from 4-21-11 on) will be deleted.<<<

If we want to keep this thread, this is what we can post. If we do not self police this, it will be history. We managed to save it once, the next time is unlikely. Quote this post, no additional comments are necessary, drama will also close this thread.
    Gene

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011