Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching 4 clues, '33 Ford coupe, USMC, El Toro, CA, Chicago...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Randy P, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

This picture was first supplied by Angela:

[​IMG]

And this picture was just posted by Richard Boudnek's daughter:

[​IMG]

Different guys, for sure, anyone know what the cars are?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  3. Bryanhes

Bryanhes

Just read the entire thread. What a great story to go with a very cool car. It never ceases to amaze me at how small a world we really live in. I am excited for you all to have connected.
    Maybe you should arrange to take the daughter for a spin in the car. I am sure she would love that ;)
    Keep it just as it is!

P.S. Leave the sand!

4. studematt

studematt

Man did you clean that car up. It sure didn't look like that when I saw it in Jim's barn. Did you also get his 3-window?

5. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

All I did was wash it, then went through the brakes and replaced the gas tank with a clean one. Someone else got his '34 3W, not sure who.

6. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job researching Randy. Thanks for sharing the story with us all!

7. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm guessing the 2nd picture is a late '35 or a '36 Ford 5-window coupe. You can see the x - strengthening beed on the cowl. Behind it appears to be a '37 Chevy Coupe.

The first picture looks to be a mid-thirties Mopar. The 3-window behind it looks intersting.

8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Amazing find, and an even better story.. got chills when the family chimed in Wow!

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Raddest thread I've seen on here in a while!!!

This is the kind of thing that makes the innernetz so great. We are all indeed simply caretakers for pieces of history. Maybe one day sixty years from now, somebody will be on whatever modern future version of the innernetz asking about my pickup and getting answers from my grandchild. Mind boggling.

10. a coupe

a coupe

Wow, awesome thread!

11. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

I agree. Great ideas, the sand is definitely staying and I'd love to take her for a ride, good excuse for a road trip!

Thanks, all I did was compile the clues and write it up, then let the power of the h.a.m.b. and the internet go to work! I'm amazed beyond belief.

12. bonesy

bonesy

You win with the coolest toys! You can't build history.

13. the human interest in this thread brought tears to my eyes...and I know none of you. In reading this entire story and what has transpired, I am moved to believe that each one of us who builds a car should keep as good a written history and photo documented history of it from the day it was discovered/purchased, because somewhere down in time, someone in the family is gonna want to know about you and your car(s). If we make and leave good memories behind through words and pictures of what we were passionate about, it will be comforting to know that the torch was passed and its still in good hands...even 50-75 years later. Miracles still happen.....:)

14. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

What a great find !!!

15. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

Great car but a better story. Thanks for sharing.

16. Spooky

Spooky

So damned amazing that a treasure like this is still out there.

17. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

One of Richard Boudnek's daughters has generously shared some more pictures, so I wanted to share them here. I think his daughter's are just as excited about revisiting these pictures and the associated memories and thoughts of their father as I am seeing them for the first time.

Here's Cpl. Richard Boudnek with his car (I'm not too good with '50s cars, but if someone recognizes the year of the convertible behind the '33, please chime in, it could help place the year of the picture).

[​IMG]

Cpl. Richard Boudnek is in the top row, 5th from right:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to publicly thank Angela, Leslie, Carol and Nancy, for the interest they have in their family and for the trouble they went to, to help piece this story together, and also to Nancy and her husband, Kevin, for sending me this Crash Crew plate that had to be a very dear memento of their father's life yet they decided it should be with the car, so have sent it to me to keep with the '33.

[​IMG]

And thanks to Ryan and the h.a.m.b. for providing the forum for this story to play out.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  18. 40fordconv

40fordconv

Great story.
    Convertible is 1953 Pontiac.

19. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Well, I didn't think about asking you, but I should have!

Thanks, Dad!

20. Keep

Keep

What a great story. Truly amazing how it all came together.

21. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Randy...great story man...you are so lucky you should buy some lotto tickets!

22. Ken Betts

Ken Betts

Hi folks. Well, it may be a little late to post on this incredible story, but there is actually another part that is truly amazing. The International crash truck pictured in this thread is currently being restored my my good friend in Reno, Nevada! His 1942 International FFN-3 was THE crash truck stationed at El Toro during this time period, as is confirmed by the overhaul tags he has found on the truck. The truck was purchased surplus and served as a fire tender for a logging company for years before being put out to pasture. My friend bought the truck from a fmaily member several years ago and is in the process of a complete frame-off restoration to its original USN markings and configuration. Here is his website with a picture of the truck as he found it...

http://ffn3resto.wordpress.com/

23. Welcome! And thanks for adding to the history! WOW:)

24. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Wow, that's cool! Thanks for adding that link to this story! Randy

25. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Just wanted to update this thread. I bought a roadster and so had to sell this car, thankfully, to a good friend. He's as interested in the history of it as I am and is going to be a great next caretaker of it. He's a local, Tom Lawson from Taylor, and he will hopefully be driving it to the Revolution this weekend. Thanks for all the input from everyone, it's been fun piecing the history together. It was tough to let go of, but I really wanted this roadster, obviously, and I know it's in good hands with Tom.

26. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

incredible thread! I find myself wondering sometimes what,if anything will be remembered about my life when I'm gone. Maybe some of our legacies will be carried forward with the cars we owned just like this story.

Thanks for posting this wonderful story.

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This is one of the most incredible car/family history threads that I've seen on the HAMB. Thanks to all that have contributed and congrats to the new owner!

Malcolm

28. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Great thread for all parties involved. Thanks for the posting.

29. 333win

333win

Thanks to Randy for this amazing find and the opportunity for me to become the next caretaker of this great ol coupe. Thanks to Randy's Dad for the use of his whats got to be the coolest backyard shop on the planet while Randy made the ol coupe roadworthy again.
    Thanks to Richard Boudnek's family for sharing their story and photos.
    I'd like to thank Richard Boudek for his service to our country and his creation and stewardship of this so cool,understated ol hot rod . No, its not a well known big name car but thanks to ya'll here on this forum the story of this awesome ol car solidifies its historical status as a survivor from a bygone era.

Attached Files:

30. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Looks right at home, Tom! Glad it went to a proud new caretaker and hope you make lots of memories with it!