Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old gas station truck q's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod60F100, Apr 12, 2005.

1. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I have a brick red 60 F100 shortbed with the standard back window,I was thinking since it has the cherished'patina'i.e faded red paint with dents dings and scratches i was thinking aout getting a old gas station sign painted on the doors but what gas stations usually had a red truck?also i want to use a old station sign like Sinclair or DX or Standard oh and i'll have it painted like its as old as the truck.Does anyone have pics of old gas station trucks or the signs?

2. bigron

bigron

texaco or maybe phillip 66

3. Mutt

Mutt

Here's some logos on maps. If you see something you like, I can make a larger scan.

Texaco, Standard Oil, Phillips 66, Esso can all be red. But it really doesn't matter as long as the logo is correct.

Mutt

4. If you want to have a long conversation with every dickneck that sees your truck, go with Texaco("I remember that truck!" "Do you own a Texaco station?" etc) Fun for about the first hundred times... :eek:

You being in FL, I'd suggest a lesser seen local brand. Something Like Pan-Am. Or Skelly(not sure if they marketed in FL though..:confused: )

Go over to oldgas.com and look for pics--there's a bunch of stuff over there.

just my .02

5. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Thanx and when i get tired of the'do you own a station'questions i will just say Why yes i do,and point them towards the roughest part of town with directions to it :D and as for an oddball gas logo i was thinking 'Sinclair'i remember digging the look of the logo when i seen one yeeears ago in a magazine.So since i'm only 28 years old,any of y'all oldtimers remember the popular gas stations back in my trucks era?and when did the USA start using 7 digit phone no.s? as i'd like to put a fake no too on my truck but don't know if back in 1960 it woulda said 555-5555 or shitbag 456?

6. Mutt

Mutt

Around 1955 the country went to seven digits. The numbers would have been

like WA 1 - 0987. WA would have been Walnut or Wabash. CH would have been Cherry, and so on. The numbers and letters correspond to the all numbers today. I know people who have the same number they had in 1955, but it's listed as all numbers now. In 1960 they would be letters and numbers still.

Mutt

7. bigron

bigron

i seem to remember the sinclair logo being green ??

8. saulgoode

saulgoode
    from Houston

I think the mobil oil Pegasus logo is one of the better classic logos, it gets my vote.

Saulgoode

9. Here's a few ideas...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ...and a few more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

12. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Most gas stations just had their brand logo added to whatever truck they had. As long as the logo was correct (or close) that was OK. I remember plenty of locally painted Esso signs that were nowhere near the perfection required today by the marketing types.

I would just make up a phantom brand/logo and run with that.
    Something like "Effie's Ozola."
    Then keep count of how many old-timers say,
    "Gee, I haven't seen that brand in years!"

13. Clark

Clark

Clark Oli Co. :D
    Clark

14. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

This is too cool ,thanx a million guys for helping me out and i'm really digging them Sinclair ones now i remember that dinosaur and didn't they have a sign that said 100 octane super fuel or somthing?

15. shoebox72

shoebox72

Around here, according to my mom, they went to ANC(All Number Calling) around 62-63. Some areas were later some sooner. Heres a link to exchange names if you want to put one on your truck.

http://www.ourwebhome.com/tenp/Recommended.html

Be sure to post pics if you do it.

Billy

16. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

"Dino Supreme" was the highest octane available from Sinclair (old octane rating system), but I don't remember what the rating was.

17. My $0.02:

One of the places I pick parts there is an International 1-ton about the same year and color as your Ford. It has a wrecker body with a fixed boom on the back, and it had small Mobil decals on the doors if I remember right. Probably Mobil, Esso or Exxon would all work on there. You might see if an airbrush guy will paint it on there for you though so it can be done to look faded out some.

I'd be tempted to find some obscure brand on an oil can and have logos done to match that. Just have to find a can with a logo you like - I find stuff like that all the time, my buddy with the cars collects them so he ends up with most of them. Plus that way there's a lot less chance of someone hassling you over the copyright (If that even happens).

I think Sinclair trucks could be red and green, Classic Metal Works did a White gas truck in their HO scale line a couple years ago in those colors. Either that or it's Santa Claus' gas truck...

18. Silverado

Silverado

We still have Sinclair's, doesn't everyone?

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love this logo:

[​IMG]

I've even tried to do a HAMB version of it, but failed misserably...

20. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Thats a cool logo Ryan,but weren't those on trucks much older than my 60?what about DX anyone have one of their logos?i first seen thirs in the movie Two lane blacktop.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

oh yeah... I wasn't even paying attention to what this was for...