Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car show music

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lordairgtar, Apr 15, 2011.

1. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I'm pretty stocked right now. I just picked up another DJ gig for a V-dub show. I only DJ car shows and I would like to know what kind of music you like to hear. Are you one of the "only 50s music at car shows" type or are you a bit more eclectic in tastes. I do believe that the DJ should just provide some music in the background and not over power the show. People like to chat and see old friends at these events and I'm not the center of it. One comment I got from a show participant as to my style was "I never expected to hear Uriah Heep at a show, thanx for that". I like to throw in some rockabilly and old style country like Hank, Cash et al.

dana barlow, racer-x and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  2. Agent Orange, Angry Samoans, and the Adolescents...

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Keep it eclectic. You can't please all the people all the time....mix it up and keep the volume at a tolerable level, and you will be a hit :). good luck...

Dean Lowe likes this.
  4. monsterflake

monsterflake

5. wizzard23

wizzard23

x2!

6. I hear a lot of people comment that they get tired of the same old 50s music.And overpowering the conversations.Personally, I like to hear 80s music and like mentioned above, not so loud ;make it a background sound.

7. slammed

slammed

You seemed to already have a handle on variety. Keep it fresh. Really, does '50's cruise night shlock and M0-town NEED to be played ever again?

8. old me

old me
    from Iowa

I say mix it up.
    I get very tired of Beach Boys and the 60s stuff even though that was popular when I was a kid.You don't need 60s music to have a car show! At a cruise night a couple of years ago, I heard Surfin USA at least five times-I thought I'd better get out of there before I heard it again and torched the guys sound system.
    Every generation has their own idea of what "oldies" are and maybe the younger crowd would like to hear at least a few of the songs they can relate to.

Jim

9. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

10. joebuick

joebuick

that's what I thought too...maybe I do have a future as a car show dj

11. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I hate the load distorted speakers playing Louie Louie so loud that it is I can't hear anyone say anything within 200 feet of the speaker.

Gizzy and zzford like this.
  12. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

agree, when the 50's stuff overpowers the speakers it really is annoying. I have left some car show because the music was annoyingly loud (not to say I don't like loud music).

Car songs of all generations are good.

Gizzy likes this.
  13. Pasta

Pasta

I like late 60's/early 70's and 80's hair bands. Aint no way a DJ up here is ever gonna play 80's metal at a car show, the old farts would have a heart attack, but I would really love to hear Cream, Iron Butterfly, Deep Purple, The Animals, Sly & The Family Stone etc. instead of Earth Angel over & over year after year. Thats why I only stay at a show for a short time, then take the car for a ride and rip some gears before I head home. I can't relax and unwind after work as well when it's parked as I can going down the highway listening to the 440.

George

zzford likes this.
  14. cryobug

cryobug

I am so Sick of 50's music!!!!!!!!

15. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i don't think any music should be played at a car show unless live and even then.....

So no music.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  16. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

truthfully the only music I want to hear at a carshow is the rumble of the engines:)

Cosmo49 likes this.
  17. 61 chevy

61 chevy

ear spliter loud boomer, anybody 40 or older knows that

18. Special Ed

Special Ed

yeah...early punk has always been traditional....:rolleyes: just kidding, just kidding :)

19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

It's a car show! Ya gotta play "One Piece at a Time" by Johny Cash.

20. Eight433

Eight433

clap for the wolfman, you gonna dig him till the day you die! unfortunately I was only 11 when wolfman jack died...

Don't forget to play queen-I'm in love with my car.

21. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Surf is always good, as are oldies but if you really want to hit a home run you got to spin some DEADBOLT!

22. Eight433

Eight433

I don't like that surfer shit. Rock and roll has been going down hill ever since buddy holly died!

23. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

HAHA Agreed!

24. aircap

aircap

Preach it, brother!

25. BCR

BCR

Another vote for no music. Put a distorted loud speaker blaring she's real fine my 409 .......I am done.

HunterYJ likes this.
  26. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I would just as soon not have any music at all. If you must play music it better be 50's-60's. Play one RAP or Hip Hop and I am out of there.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that!!! The most tiresome thing at a rod trot or car show is some DJ or Would Be DJ who things the whole event was put on for his benefit and blasts music good or bad all day long so damned loud that you can't can't hear the guy four feet away tell you about his car, engine or what ever. The second most tiresome is the guy who sets his alarm on his phone to tell him that another half hour has passed so he needs to bust off his engine and gun it a dozen times to the redline with open headers because the Bubbas have passed his car by when he doesn't have the loud engine going to draw them over.

A good band playing in the bandstand over in the corner of the park or fairgounds is cool when you can stroll over and listen to them for a while but not cool when they even drown mr open headers out at two hundred yards. But as they say in Texas, you can either play good or play loud.

500caddy likes this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

No comment!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. 1956Ford

1956Ford

And talk like Wolfman Jack