Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Project, Flatheads, Workshop and Me!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Well, I introduced myself a while ago, but I never really nailed down what it is that I wanted or planned on doing. So here goes!

I'm a 25 year old college student, finishing up my schooling as I plan on teaching abroad starting in January for about 6 months. I had a project a while back, it was a 1945 WWII Willy's MB. It was a lot of fun to putt around in, but I felt that I wanted a Model A (I had wanted one before I bought the Jeep too). So, back in February, after two years of ownership, I sold the Jeep and bought a nifty project. A cut down closed cab style 1931 Model A. Hauled it in from Oregon during my spring break with the assistance of my lovely girlfriend (her truck, she drove for a big portion of the trip too). Got in back to Bellingham and I recently moved it into the garage. Came with a front axle and a rear axle from a 1948 Mercury. Grill shell and four wheels...

The garage started to morph into a shop. I hung insulation, then with the help of one of my co-workers, we built a nice solid work bench. Hung peg board, a shelf and a fluorescent light ballast. So, a while back in February, I purchased a 1947 Flathead (Mercury). I had been looking for a good flathead for a while, but I was really looking for a 21 stud, but the 24 stud flathead turned up and I decided to snag it. The typical "ran when parked" story, but it turns over and had been fogged during its storage. Hauled it home and now its in my garage too.

Well, just a few days ago, I came across an ad for a 21 stud, it was exactly 297 miles from my house, so I up and drove to get it with my Dad. Left at 10 AM and got back at 1:30 AM...long day.

Anyway, got that back from down south and put it on an engine stand and that's where she sits!

My plan for this project is the standard AV8, maybe build a "custom" truck bed and have an AV8 Roadster Pickup. Here are some pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1936 Flathead Ford
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

3. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    kiwijeff likes this.
  4. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

My work bench. Some photos of it under construction and then the final product.

Here is what I started with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My buddy Russell.
    [​IMG]

5. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ME AND THE BENCH!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Finished" shop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. fosheezie

fosheezie
    from las vegas

great start buddy, as a younger guy myself i ve got to give it to you for jumping right in to those flatheads!! ps, no matter how many you build, you will never have enough work benches

7. barry wny

barry wny

Shouldn't be too hard to find a model A frame although they are not a 75 or 100 dollar item anymore, what I paid for mine. The post war axles are a 2" wider deal than pre-war, also the merc pinion was one with the driveshaft, so shortening it along with the torque tube may be more involved. But, the mercury may have a higher gear ratio and be worth the extra bother, I would look at the numbers. My 37 axle has 3.78, perfect for me, 3.54 is what others search for. Nice parts, a lot of misery saved having useable sheet metal. Do a mock-up with the body a little further back & no bed, see how that looks.

8. I agree. It is great to see young guys getting into the traditional stuff. I had to go through the whole progression from musclecars, drag racing, and modern hot rods before I finally figured out traditional builts are where it's at.

Your obviously way smarter than me 'cause you figured it out much sooner in life - good on you! ;)

I do totally disagree with the "never enough work benches" comment though. I've found that all work benches do is collect clutter. I suggest one nice bench (yours is great) and that's it. If you have only one bench, it forces you to keep it clean so you have a place to work. If you have 4 benches, you'll have 4 benches worth of clutter.

I would say you can never have enough cabinets. Cabinets do a much better job of keeping your crap organized. They also keep the grinding dust, bondo dust, etc... off of your stuff. It took me a lot of years to learn this too.

I'm a little slow, but eventually I figure things out. :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

that later merc flathead is the one to use man. it has a better ignition system, it has better water pumps, it has more power, it has insert style bearings(the other one is poured! and thats not something a lot of places know how to do) and im not sure how the oiling system is in those early ones but im assuming not the best. you can install an 8BA oil pump for better pressure(i have one ill give you for free you just pay shipping) thats rad you got a 97 with the 36 tho i bet you paid as much for that motor as those carbs alone go for maybe if you were lucky. the merc engine also has a 4 inch crank which is sought after.

10. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Thanks for the comments! I do actually have two frames that will be turned into one good one (??? as I am not a fabricator, this may take a while). They were outside and it was raining...

I initially wanted to go with an 85HP engine as it is a little neater in my opinion. I then found the 100HP and bought it, but then found an 85HP and am torn now. I am not wanting to build one for speed necessarily, but one that might have been found in the pre-war era. Who knows though. I am just happy I found a 21 Stud engine. I think they are cool and a little more of a "survivor" flavor comes with the 21 stud.

11. I'm subscribing to this thread...

As a young guy myself who jumped in to a project, I'm always interested in what the other mid 20 somethings are doing. Looks like you're off to a good start and good luck!
    By the way, I vote for the 21 stud. I'll probably catch hell saying this, but I see the 24 stud everywhere these days... the 21 is a little more unique.

12. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

Great start!! Your flatties look a little better than mine did when I brought 'em home. I had 3 strapped on top of old tires on the deck of the car trailer.:eek:

Great job - Good luck!
    Pete

Attached Files:

13. pumpman

pumpman

Good luck with your project, been doing this stuff a long time and I hit something that I haven't done before all the time. So just dig in and if you find yourself in a place your not sure about, well your in the right place here to get the answers. I also agree with the bench thing, I have too many with nothing but crap on top of them.

14. looks good but do not mount the engine by the integral bell housing it will break.....get some supports under the oil pan and releive that weight...

we use the exhaust manifold bolt holes heres the one i use or you can use a T that picks up only one side of the exhaust..

on my 21 stud

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on a 24 stud

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

picture of side one from internet

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011