Register now to get rid of these ads!

crushed glass paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pumbo, Apr 15, 2011.

1. pumbo

pumbo
    from az

Does anyone have any pictures of crushed glass in the paint? and can you still buy this stuff? some one told me people use clear flake now instead.

2. CruiserUser

CruiserUser

Believe thats called diamond dust, usually people ground up mirrors to make it from what I'm told. Don't think anyone does it anymore due to health hazards.

3. goufos

goufos

i would like to see some pics of that- diamond dust or crushed glass- and is it more intense than metal flake ??-----goufos:cool:

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

"Diamond Dust" did not have anywhere near the intensity of metalflake. To me it looked sort of like an ultra-fine metallic on steroids. It kind of lightened the paint, and made the paint "pop" more. I'd compare it more to the look you get with a candy.

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Finely crushed glass is one of the things often found in paint flattening compounds.

6. goufos

goufos

i see- im getting ready to paint a metal flake paint a 23 t bucket glass body- never done it before- but i hear all this talk of diamond dust - i was just courious. thanks guys-- goufos

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I sprayed what was called ground glass flake in the early 70's. Back then Metalflake did not sparkle as much as it does now (the flakes were aluminum then...they started plating the flakes years later). So we used the glass over the flake to increase the sparkle and it certainly did that. But the glass flakes did not lay down flat, making it extremely difficult to sand smooth.

The diamond dust was a later product as I recall. Obviously just a marketing term as it couldn't have been actually diamond material.

8. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

Just roll with flake....it will make things way easier and you'll be happy with the end result.

9. thaugen

thaugen

From another industry: Reflective Glass Beads. Same glass beads used on Street signs and highway traffic lines. Makes paint reflective.

I also think they use something similar on movie theater screens.

10. Just a few years ago, GM did use actual diamond dust on a blue ZO6 Vette.. 61K a gallon! It was just another blue paint job, nothing special looking at all. Anyways, back to your regularly posted program!

11. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I remember Diamond Dust from 1965. Have no idea what it was actually made from but I recall it looked pretty good over pearl white. Not as brilliant as metalflake, if I recall right, but it still looked pretty good.

With today's technology in paint materials I would think grinding up glass or mirrors would be a step backwards since almost any effect imaginable can be achieved using existing flake materials.

12. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

crushed glass is ice pearl.. u can find it from hok.. its finely ground glass.. comes in white, blue, red, purple and maybe one other color.. not really a pearl to me.. its like mini flake.. looks bitchen in the sun...

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I had a college prof who used this stuff on his silk screen prints. It was a little over the top on his prints, but suited to his subjects. I suspect it would be WAY over the top on a car. The "clear" mixes had a yellow-ish tint that was nearly invisible in the day time. Good with a black light, too. (how old am I?). How about reflective glass bead ghost flames or scallops? A glow-in-the-dark death mobile beater? Gary