Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axeman39, Apr 15, 2011.

1. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

How does the cluster gear come out of the case? I don't see anything holding it, are the bearings pressed into the case or is there a clip somewhere I'm not seeing?

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

world class, or non?

3. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

non world class

4. Puddin Head

Puddin Head
    from Mason, Oh

On a NWC the cover comes off then the thrust washer and then the bearing. Slide the cluster to the rear and angle it out through the top. On a WC remove the race and then cut the cage for the bearing to remove it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

5. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

When you say cover do you mean the front bearing? on my exploded view it shows the front bearing/cover as one piece. How do you get the cover off?

6. Puddin Head

Puddin Head
    from Mason, Oh

Sorry about that. No cover on a NWC. You should removed the 5th gear and synchronizer first by removing the c-clip. Slide them off. Then slide the cluster to the rear out the bore on the case. Then tilt the front of the cluster up and remove from the top of the case. WC has a bearing cover at the end of the cluster.

7. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

I'm missing something here, I have everything out of the case except the cluster gear, all snap rings are removed so all that's left is the cluster gear and the bearing at either end, I can see that it would have to move to the rear to tilt up and out but it wont move rearward at all!

8. potshot

potshot
    from MT

I use a press. Case vertical, front side up, press against the front countershaft bearing and both countershaft bearings and cluster gear will move rearward. Once the bearings clear the case, they will slide off, then you can tip the cluster up and out of the case.

9. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

Thanks to all that replied, I got it out using pot shots method, too bad the case cracked but the cluster gear is junk anyway, the rear bearing surface is scored pretty bad, oh well at least I now know how they come out! Off to craigslist to look for another tranny.