Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stunning late 50s California car show footage, new version

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kripfink, Apr 14, 2011.

1. I dont think I got to see this with the doo wop.

2. autobilly

autobilly

3. axle

axle
    from Drag City

This is one of my favorite - (at least top ten) threads of all time ! I have been after this video for about 15 years now. Everyone (very few) that had a copy of it couldn't make me a copy because "I promised not to make a copy or loan this out" . Incredible, and FINALLY someone put the right music in a video. Doesn't seem to happen too often these days.
    Kripfink & Son, this is amazing !

4. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Doo Wop / R & B is fine. In fact, its great. Problem is, people take video's like these and put Punk Rock with it, and thats sacrilegious

5. axle

axle
    from Drag City

"Who do you think you are,........Franky Valli or sumpthin" ?

Attached Files:

6. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Awesome, thanks Fink!

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

To Damn Cool !!!!!!

8. hooliganz 1

hooliganz 1

that was funkin awsome

9. 296ardun

296ardun

Unbelievable!...so many famous cars in one show, and most driven (except for the Lloyd Bakkan coupe, as earlier noted)...and some came some distance to attend...didn't Dave Cunningham live in San Francisco? And wasn't Bob Metz (finned Buick) from Indiana?....great footage, great track!! Thanks!

10. turdytoo

turdytoo

Thanks for the post. Lots of iconic cars in there. As for the Bakan car being a trailer queen, When Strock owned it we flat towed it. I have seen it on the street, steered it into a spot at a car show and I even rode in it once.

11. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

very cool, and I too would like to know how to down load it.

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

So confusing. Where is the grease? Where are the tattoos?

FANTASTIC VIDEO!!! Thanks for taking the time to post up that wonderful bit of true nostalgia!

13. Pharouh

Pharouh

Yes,Bob Metz was from Indiana. From right here in my hometown. I went to high school with his son,Dennis.
    I did a pencil drawing of that car many years ago. Very radical even for then.
    Great video!

14. dmikulec

dmikulec

Too cool. Thanks for posting this. Of course now I'm mad 'cause I was born 18 years too late, and on the wrong coast.

As for saving the movie, there are all sorts of apps that let you find the movie files in your browser cache and save them for "archival purposes".

15. HRod 50

HRod 50

Thanks Man, Super Super Cool......

16. Yup.^^^

I like the music Paul and son added fine. But the original doo wop from the vid that was what I remember from then. That was make out music and, back then, we liked smooching a whole lot. Customs always had the cool chicks.

17. I'd like to hear the doo wop version too!

18. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Okay, for you guys that want to download this, me and Danny just tried and this method definitely works. Just go to the Viddler website and open your own accounts, it takes about 2 min and is completely free.

Next time you click on the link in the original post in this thread it should appear with a "download" button underneath it. It worked for Danny, but it's the only surefire way we've found of achieving it.
    For any of you that want to view it with the original doo-wop score here's the link to how Evel and Ryan originally presented it;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243779&highlight=coachmen+show

Hey Phil, don't get me wrong I love the doo-wop score too, but I've watched it so many times now I just felt like a change (and to have a one long clip rather than three). Besides, when I listen to doo-wop I like to be doing something other than watching car clips, you know, back seat stuff;)
    Paul

19. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Best car show ever. Twenty iconic cars in one show and they weren't even icons yet! Name another show that holds up to that criteria.

As far as the music goes, doowop was on its way out by then. The best authentic 1957 song for part of your soundtrack would be the twangy guitar instumental "Raunchy" which was on the cutting edge that year. The guys with the cars, however, would have been older, "over the hill" twentysomethings and probably still digging the 'wop of their high school days. But your music is fine for those who weren't around then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxCaX-u_lC0

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  20. ragtop50

ragtop50
    from UK

Hi Paul , I too love doo wop but prefer Dannys sound track for this video .This has got to be the best footage of a 50's car show out there.
    See you Saturday at the Moose lodge mate

21. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Amazing!! Never saw that before:eek:

22. Rikster

Rikster

From the Memo Ortega Collection.

Apparently the car was owned by Joe Norwalk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thanks for posting this incredible movie again Kripfink

23. This is the first time I've seen this video and all I can say is WOW! Thanks a lot. In 1957 I was in 7th grade and I only saw cars like this in magazines and our once a year car show, the Clutch Artists Autorama.

24. Holy Crap, you're REALLY old!!-MIKE:eek::D:p

25. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

how do you save something like this to your harddrive to have instant access to it

26. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey man, I'm almost completely computer illiterate, best I could come up with is in # 49. It worked when my son tried it.
    Paul

27. thaugen

thaugen

Anyone recognize that roadster driving out at the very end? (22:00) Sure would like to know make, year, etc.

28. Dirk

Dirk

29. oldbutstillyoung

oldbutstillyoung

That was also were they shot the movie Grease The 53 Chevy at the 5 min time I bought that car 2 yr later my 2nd car that I owned I was at that show

30. Kripfink -

Almost forgot about Ryan's The Coachman Show 1955-1957 Blog/thread ... definitely one of Evel's coolest video footage finds ... thanks for combining the three parts into one and sharing it with us again.

I'm not a clever cat, but somehow was able to embed it ...

<IFRAME src="http://www.viddler.com/player/7b42f220" frameBorder=0 width=640 height=402></IFRAME>