Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

modifieddriver, I don't think I ever ran Pine Bowl but I did run against Kenny Goodermote at Menands Speedway near Albany NY.

4evverblue, OK Rt 9 my memory not to good with numbers. How do I put a smiley here?

Denny Z

2. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Found a few more pictures. Here are a couple of Joe Wilcox at Riverside Park.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      182.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      153.2 KB
      Views:
  3. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Here is Dutch Hoag but I don't know which track, and I think Ken Latour in the #17 at Riverside.

Attached Files:

4. Zoera

Zoera

Thanks for the response Denny. You are a much-valued part of this board and I enjoy all your quotes and stories.

5. k9racer

k9racer

I just add 2 things.. Racer 5c stated on the board that enclosed trailers were coffins.. I agree with him.. I was given a enclosed trailer and only use it for storage.. The next thing is years ago driver had cool nock names. the driver now dont.. Some of my favs were "litebread" Hayes, Nero"wild indian" Stepto'. "Rapid" Roy Hall. Jerry "Peaches "Thompson. "Runt" Harris.DeWayne "tiny" Lund.. And I could add many more so if any body wants to add this way the names can live on.. Thank You.. Bobby

6. Dr. John

Dr. John

I'm an artist and I suffer for the sake of my art. LOL (Wait'll ya see my photos from inside the Central Terminal on the HATMB -- Hokey Ass Train Message Board)

7. Not for nothing. but go back to the beginning of this thread and you will see I did my share of posting back then. Why should I post now, my son does a good enough job. I asked you a simple question, I have been uploading photos to forums for over 10 years at least.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

8. True, true by dear friend. I've had to run from you trying to eat me since we first meet. :p:D

9. Dr. John

Dr. John

Gordon (Gordie) Treichler (47) races cousin Merv into Turn 2 at Lancaster (NY) Speedway, 1971. Gordon Reinig photo.

[​IMG]

10. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Here is a picture of Rene Charland's #3 at a car show.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      207.8 KB
      Views:
  11. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Gene Bergin in the M-6 at Riverside Park.

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      174.1 KB
      Views:
  12. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Some 60's action at Riverside Park.

Attached Files:

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      169.8 KB
      Views:
  13. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

RAF,

I was trying to figure out what track that pic of Dutch in post 9632 was taken at. At first I thought Shangri-La, but I'm 99% certain they didn't have grass between the wall and the fans in the stands. So that leaves Spencer or Fulton, but I'm going with Spencer. I can say for certain that it was taken in 1965, as that was the last year for that hood/air cleaner combo & the first year for the mirror in the roof.

14. Menands, Empire Speedway, my dad and I would go there too. That was usually a Wed. night deal. That's where Goodermote got hurt pretty bad one night. Got t-boned in the door. Broke his pelvis.

I also remember the UNITED late models coming in there to run. Dick Dixon had a white '56 Ford, the 8Ball. Think he won. That might've been a convertible. They also ran the new cars at Pine Bowl. I can remember Goodermote winning with a red '55 Chevy 2-dr.

Then a year or so later I'm waiting for the school bus in the morning and watch his wife go by driving the same car to work!!!!!

I also remember Goodermote winning a 200 lapper at the Bowl. He passed Gene Bergin with about 10 to go. Bergin was in the M-6. Dry sump oil system and all the hi-tech parts. He ran outa' brakes and Goodermote put on a late race charge. A hot humid summer Sunday afternoon. Those guys were worn-out :eek: .

Goodermote also used to run over at Riverside Park. Unfortunately, I never got to see a race there. Think he had one feature win over there.

Ken was a customer on my afternoon paper route. I got to hear all the racing stories. 'Cause of him, my dad's interest and Ken Tremont, I got hooked at an early age. Worse than drugs or some other habit :eek: .

Once I got racing, my dad said it was cheaper than payin' a lawyer to help get me outa' trouble. I think he was right :cool::cool: .

That pic of Bergin in the gold M-6 several posts ago is a later version of the car I remember. I could be wrong but I thought the car I saw was a silver-gray with a white racing stripe. I know it wasn't as "modified" as the one in the pic.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  15. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

modifidedriver, You are correct the early versions of the M6 were silver/gray with a white stripe. Racing sure kept me out of trouble as a teenager. Drugs hadn't become a problem yet but alcohol sure was. Thanks to getting hooked on racing, having good parents and Eddie Flemke I learned a lot of life lessons and the right things to do. I have been blessed. Denny Z

16. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Here is a great shot of the infield at the Eastern States Exposition in the 60's.
    This was a great track to watch a race at. Hey Denny did you race there?

Attached Files:

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      414 KB
      Views:
  17. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Yes I did would just once my first or second year (57 or 58). In the picture I see Garuti Bros. 28 probably driven by Eddie but once in a while driven by Ray Brown, Rene's 888, Sharkey's 44 don't see my car though. Denny Z

18. Dr. John

Dr. John

The film lab date-stamped the photo in the right-side border and it says 1967 -- but that indicates when the film was developed, not exposed.

19. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Here is a shot of Bill Wimble in the #33 and the V8 parked next to Rene's #3. I don't know where these were taken.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      230.1 KB
      Views:
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      142 KB
      Views:
  20. yank28

yank28
    from monson,ma

The one with the v-8 in it looks like Waterford speedway.

21. Hank61

Hank61
    from Upstate NY

22. Hank61

Hank61
    from Upstate NY

23. Hank61

Hank61
    from Upstate NY

24. Hank61

Hank61
    from Upstate NY

25. Hank61

Hank61
    from Upstate NY

26. Rentawrench

Rentawrench

The silver/gray M6 was Walker Motors Spl.

Eastern States pic could be Jocko in 28, Danny Galullo in Walt Czepiels 888, Sharky's 44 out front??

27. Willie41

Willie41

I would say the #33 of Wimble was taken in the pits @ Utica rome. JUst coming on the track.

28. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

I thought it was Spencer, too, but, Spencer had a ditch between the grandstand and the track in 1965. Notice the tree behind the grandstand? Don't recall that at Spencer or Shangri-La.

29. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

That was my initial thought too.

Then "Flyin' Brian" jogged my memory with the "Spencer Ditch" comment, which made me think that what appears to be a "steel wall" behind the car would indicate it was Oswego....

30. kt

kt

Very interesting trying to figure out the location of the Dutch Hoag photo. Trying to figure it out through powers of deduction......

Oswego?....No.....No modifieds there until 1969.

Lancaster?....No......Grandstands are too close.

Shangri-La?....No....The walkway next to the track is to high in the picture.

Fulton?........No......You can see air through the grandstands.

That leaves Spencer.....Could have been a ditch there, I don't remember it but that would have been the first year I attended races there at age 7......lol......Trees could have been cut down since then.......Anywhere else this car could have raced?......Still, I would put my money down on Spencer...................kt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.