Register now to get rid of these ads!

"The Shaggy Dog" Movie (1959)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Anybody got a picture of the Hot Rod in the 1959 "Shaggy Dog Movie"?...

2. Lazy TX

Lazy TX
    from Austin, TX

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  3. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I remember watching that movie in school.

4. Jagman

Jagman

Where did they get the rods they used in the 50's and 60's movies? Did they just go buy them off the street? Did they have some company build them just for the movie? If so, what did they do with them afterwards?
    Or did they just rent them from the guys who owned them?

5. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My friend told me there was a guy who lived in Riverside,Ca that owned a bunch of Mosdel T's and owned that one.I can't remember his name.I'll see if I can get more info from my friend and post it.

6. "Annette's got the hits"

7. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

As far as I know they eiher got the owners to "loan" them, or contacted builders like George Barris (famously for "Hot Rod Gang" with Gene Vincent
    that has the Ala Kart but blink and you'd miss it and "High School Confidential")

8. The car is Drop-Dead GORGEOUS! I wonder if it's still alive. Any ideas as to what it is...frame, body year, fenders, etc, etc...

9. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

That's where I saw it too, back in Pittsburgh in the '70s they used to occasionally show Disney movies in the auditorium. I always thought the car was a Deuce, now I see it's a '27 T on A rails with a deuce grill. Still cool.

Looks like the dog is driving the Mercedes in the third pic and the Dodge moving van has a crazy lean to it.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I thought that 'T' was tits-on-a-ritz 'til I did some more looking at it...The car was first used in the "Spin & Marty" serials on the Mickey Mouse club! (black with red flames? Baldy hub caps? Otherwise, the same)
    The basics were there, ('27 T body on 'A' rails, 59A mill, '39 box, '36 Ford spare tire covers for front fenders, custom made rears) but the towering '32 shell really needed trimming!
    Car looked 'bent'.
    I asked George Barris about his green '27 T once, he told me it was an 'old movie car'.
    I thought it was this one?

tkoon likes this.
  11. Windsheild is from? Yup, could use a TOUCH shorter grille, but not a lot. I damn sure wouldn't mind building this car...

12. Windshield is cut down stock T.

13. fleetside66

fleetside66

Well, I saw the movie at the Rialto when it first came out, but I didn't notice that the grill was a bit high. Better late than never.

14. Here's a few stills from the movie:

The Shaggy Dog  - Still 1.jpg The Shaggy Dog  - Still 2.jpg The Shaggy Dog  - Still 3.jpg
    The Shaggy Dog  - Still 4.jpg The Shaggy Dog  - Still 5.jpg The Shaggy Dog  - Still 6.jpg
    The Shaggy Dog  - Still 7.jpg

... and a few lobby cards & posters:

The Shaggy Dog  Lobby Card.jpg The Shaggy Dog  Lobby Card B&W.jpg The Shaggy Dog  Lobby Card Colorized.jpg
    The Shaggy Dog Poster Red.jpg The Shaggy Dog Poster Green.jpg

15. Here's a couple of pics of the roadster as it appeared on "The New Adventures of SPIN and MARTY"
    (Mickey Mouse Club Serial):

The New Adventures of Spin & Marty - Hot Rod.jpg The New Adventures of Spin & Marty - Hot Rod rear.jpg

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My friend told me the man who owned that car was a man with last name Schneider or snyder.He some property at the corner of Iowa and Center st in Highgrove(Riverside,Ca).He had a huge collection of Model T's.Before he passed away he sold one of the oldest Model t's in existance to Harrah's.My friend doesn't know what happened to the rest of the cars.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  17. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Seems like an odd location for the horns. There's apparently a pair on each side of the cowl, with the left pair having triangular horn mouths and the right pair having round horn mouths. Can't say I can recall seeing that sort of set up before.

Either way, of course, given that the car was actually built back in the day I suppose you can't say it's not period correct.

:cool:

18. calorchard

calorchard

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  19. 55chevr

55chevr

Reviving an old thread ... thumbing thru September 1959 issue of "Hot Rod" magazine I found a letter in post entry from George Ausburn, Long Beach, Ca. He wrote that when he took his kids to the movie "Shaggy Dog" he discovered that the model T roadster was his old race car. He describes the dash as 36 Dodge, louvered hood, radius rods and the license plate light fabrication, he did on the car when he owned it. He was a member of the "Road Runners". He said he began building it in 1940 and finished it after the war. Ran 114 at the lakes. .... good read.
    Joe

20. knotttty

knotttty

great old movie..... ))

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I remember that letter the guy wrote to Hot Rod Magazine. He said when he and his kids sat down to watch the movie he started to notice similarities between the car on the screen and his old hot rod. He went on to mention things like the trunk hinges, etc. I think he said some stuff had been added, like the goofy horns, but those were probably done to make the car more "Hollywood". :rolleyes:

I was just a kid when I went to see that movie and hadn't heard that there was a hot rod in it. What a great surprise for someone like me who was a total gear head to see that car on the big screen. I couldn't absorb enough of it in the scenes it was in, and luckily, they used the car in a lot of the movie.

Don

22. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I remember this movie very well! Us "Hot Rod" kids would go to the movies just to see the cool cars1 I watched 77 Sunset Strip TV show just to catch a glimpse of Grabowski's "Kookie T" bucket, and Route 66 to see the Corvette(s).