Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has your hot rod helped you get a job?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tenacious A, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

Has your hot rod helped you get a job?

2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Well when I was younger, once or twice, but maybe not the type you are talking about.:rolleyes::D

3. 28pontiac

28pontiac

Perhaps...

It is difficult to document your mechanical skills with industrial equipment. It is frowned upon to take pictures of machines that a person works (or worked) with and shows them to other companies. Doing so makes the interviewers for the potential company think you can / will share trade secrets / processes. When I interview for a company and I want to show them I have strong mechanical skills, I have a book that has all of my degress and certificates and a quick succession of build pictures of a few cars.

It also appears that you are well organized...

To say my book with car pictures in it got me a job may be a stretch, but I don't think it hurt any.

Andy

4. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

I would like to get a job because of my car.. I'm out of a job and all I do is work on my car.

5. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

same here. being jobless is driving me crazy and all i seem to do latly is wrench on my car to keep busy at night when i can't sleep.

6. Bull

Bull

Sure has. I am the Marketing Director for Wizards Products. We manufacture detailing and finishing products. My boss is a hot rodder and one of the owners remembered me from a car show.

7. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Not directly, but yes.

Been a Bonneville racer all my life which obviously made me a "car guy" in general. I was involved with some OT cars for a while and started hanging out with some other like-minded folks while I was still in the Army and stationed in Colorado. I was about to get out in 2006 and had no job lined up. Luckily, a like-minded buddy of mine worked for a performance aftermarket automotive company and knew I was a "gear head" and set me up with my first job in the industry.

Long story short, that job ended and I moved back home to California. Kinda bounced around for a couple months but then ran into someone else I knew through Bonneville racing who happened to work for another performance aftermarket automotive company. Knowing him and having the experience I gained from the first job landed me with a new job at a great company in the industry and I'm still here two years later and loving it.

So, no my "hot rod" didn't get a job because I didn't have one to begin with (I'm building a Model A now) but being a salt flats racer/hot rodder/gear head did.

8. One way or another, my hot rods have helped me get several jobs over the years...

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I am in business for my self doing Antique and Collector Car Appraisals. The only advertising I do is hand out Business Cards from my car at the local car shows and cruise nights, and I am busier than a left handed paper hanger. The only suggestion I can make is I would not dare show up in a RAT ROD or some other TURD. The car definately gets my foot in the door and my knowledge takes it from there. ;)

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Only if you count it as transportation.

11. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

No. But it did force me to keep one.

12. rschilp

rschilp

No, but I can tell you that some people didn't get jobs because of their car.

While hiring a restoration mechanic one guy showed up with a rat-rod that looked like it was build by a blind, one handed, 3 year old using a lighter as a welder.. he was very proud of the work he did. Needless to say, we didn't hire him.

13. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Drove mine up to a BBQ joint tonight and the guy recognized me as the guy with the old car. I got me one monster sandwich. Never get that in the daily drive Silverado.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I didnt put in apps because i was working on my car....

15. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couldn't have said it better.

16. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Laid yes! Job no! knowing a few people through cars yes, but directly because of my car not that I know of!

17. 65 impala

65 impala

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep, but mostly Billetproof and my deign background.