Register now to get rid of these ads!

Had breaks yesterday ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by <FANG>, Apr 13, 2011.

1. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

All of a sudden down to the floor
    No leaks anywhere master wheel cylinders hoses fittings
    Any ideas would be helpful

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

If there are no leaks, it sounds like your master cylinder failed

3. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

I believe that's "brakes".......master cylinder piston/cup failure would be the most likely explanation, so long as the push rod hasn't fallen out of the cup.

4. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

That is what I thought
    it's a bitch to get at under the driver side floor
    no acess panel
    guess I'll yank it out and take it apart

5. No, get another one.....you don't have the tools to check the bore....

6. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

I wondered how he ended up on the floor after his break........................

7. el shad

el shad

Grammar police are here! Good job fixing the grammatical error boys, but how about helping FANG out. Even after the first "brakes" jab there was no rebuttal so give it a rest.

FANG, I agree with Ricks Garage. Just get another one and save yourself some heartache.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the Jeep wagon or ???

Check the master cylinder to see if it has enough fluid in it and go from there.

The push rod could have come out of the piston or come off the lever but that probably isn't the case.

Single or double master cylinder? Singles usually just leak fluid out the back when they fail but a double cylinder will bypass internally. You can usually figure out the bypassing if you can pump the pedal up and hold it and with a slight pressure on it it will gradually drop to the floor. I don't rebuild double master cylinders as I have never had good luck rebuilding them. If it is a single master cylinder on the other hand and you can hone it out good it will probably hold ok for a few thousand more miles. But in a lot of cases a new master cylinder doesn't cost all that much more than a rebuild kit.

I'd look at the wheels again because my bet is that one of the wheel cylinders is leaking and you haven't spotted the fluid on the back side of the tire yet.

9. Yea. I had a galaxie a few years back that had brakes when I left the house and no brakes when I arrived 12 miles down the road. New master cylinder cured it.