Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who wants a 1963 Mercury Meteor... for FREE??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Monster, Apr 11, 2011.

1. robleticia

robleticia

Monster~ What an awesome thing you are doing! Good luck to the applicants, I hope the lucky person appreciates what they are getting and we (the HAMB) get to watch it through its transformation.

2. I would love to take the car off your hands and have some family in Ashland Oregon that I really need to go visit but with gas prices the way they are that would be a long expensive drive from Texas.

3. kingsrex

kingsrex

hi monster by the way thanks for doing this .this is a good thing to keep this cars on the rod and to give people a chance to enjoy the goods from pass. my fiancé would like to take it . she like to have her own classic she dose not want to change anything on it .except remove the rust and a new pant job keeping it old school . and make it a daily drive and to drop and pick up the kids from school .but she dose understand and she prefers. that if there is a person who rely needs a car and are in bad time .it go’s to them

4. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

It would be neat for some young one to be able to get it as their first car and repair it and make it a good driver. I can see them fixing the rust and doing a flat black or semi flat paint job by doing a good masking job and then get a pinstriper and a magazine to do a story on it as the pinstriper, stripes the heck out of it.

5. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

Monster, Hell of a nice thing to do. I hope karma rewards your generosity.

6. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Very cool! My oldest son just left for the airforce otherwise he would have been all over this. He's pretty handy for nineteen and not afraid to get his hands dirty. He wanted to find an old project in the worst way!

Great thing your doing here Monster!
    I'd love to see a motivated young man (or woman) get this.

7. the ratman

the ratman
    from illinois

Hi My names Dave. My son Mike is nineteen needs a car and loves the old stuff he wants an old ford like his dad an grand pa had , but he also needs to get back an forth from the local colledge as well so it would be a work as you drive resto. I have a 50 ford an a 27 ford t so I am no stranger to resto work this would be a great dad/son project. Since my wife passed last year we aint had a whole lot of opportunity to bond know what I mean? this aint no B/S story so I hope this aint either either way thanks for your consideration and good luck to all

8. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Monster, I reread this post daily to reassure myself in the good heart of people (Yours, and Allen/Rockabilly Kid) That kid has my vote. I'd love to see a photo shopper put together an image like he describes for his plans. I only hope some other HAMBers can help get it to him, and help him out to see his dream come true for his mom. If a collection gets started, I'm in.

9. I don't have much to contribute, but whoever does get it I will donate a slightly used (but still okay and road worthy) set of pinner whites. The person would just have to cover shipping as I am super low on cash right now. Also will throw in a new (never used) chrome air cleaner.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  10. TNCYCLONE

TNCYCLONE

wow this place is unlike any group i've ever seen giving a car away just to spread the love of the hobby, awesome.

11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Kool on Monster!!! I think a poll is in order, But I have to say the two son's w/mom got me the most...Great Stuff Here!!! Cheers

12. rockabilly_kid

rockabilly_kid
    from Reno, NV

I'm sorry to hear you lost your mom recently, but glad to hear she stayed strong and lived so long! Seriously, my mom is in the damn near same situation. 2 years ago, when she was really bad and swelled up and in the hospital for 3 months straight, the doctors told her she probably wouldnt live much longer, maybe a couple years tops. Well she pulled through that, and has been doing okay since. She's not better, but she's not in the state she used to be, by any means. I hope she stays this way, and gets better. She's just been through hell and back, and she's still dealing with it. There's definately some deserving folks on here who could use this car. I just wanna say I appreciate even being considered for this opportunity. It'd be amazing to be able to give back to her like this. And this would be her daily driver, and would help out immensly. Right now, I'm the only one with a car. So I have to drive her to all appointments, trips to the store, etc. This would give her back her independence as well, since she's been having to ask for rides for the past 5 years now. This would be incredible..thanks again for this opportunity, you guys are amazing.

-Allan

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  13. The_Monster

The_Monster

Hello fellow HAMBers!!

WOW! What a turn out! This thread has received more interest than we had first imagined! It has been real cool reading all the stories, dreams, artwork, memories and all the kind words. Thanks

For those that are wondering, we are going to leave this thread open until the end of April. We think that will give anyone who's interested and would like to be considered a chance to chime in. For those of you who have not posted yet, please feel free to add your name into the mix.

Don't forget that we (as the car owners & as HAMBers) want to see this car in all of its stages of progress. We truly hope that the winner will keep the HAMB posted with updates, photos and appearing at local car venues. We also hope the future winner of this car wont shy away from the HAMB, but ask the HAMB for help or assistance with what ever tricky issue may arise. It is quite obvious that HAMBers love this idea and I think they will put their full support behind the winner by supplying quality info, good hints on where to get parts or possibly lending a helpful hand. By keeping the cars progress on the HAMB we'll all know what to look for at local rod runs. Besides HAMBers go nuts for good ol' home built rods with a proud owner/wrencher at the wheel. What could possibly be better than that, eh?

Also, make sure to list a few things in your post if its not clear. Tell us what city,state you're in, and tell us how you will be getting the car back to your home. It is important that you share your dreams for the car, as if it were already yours. If that information isn't in your post already, simply edit your post and type that info in now. Only one response is required. Add to it or edit it all you want until the end of the month. We will re-read ALL pages and ALL posts of the people who are wanting to be considered, once this thread has expired.

As far as voting, polls or how the winner will be decided... there has been many suggestions, opinions and personal favorites. In response to that, the final decision will not be swayed one way or the other, regardless of popularity, favoritism or lack there of, of fellow HAMBers in this thread. There wont be any voting by the HAMBers or polls to choose from. My mom, dad, brother and I all decided to offer this Merc free to a HAMBer, so we will be the ones who make the final decision as to the next owner of the Merc. Our reasons for our final decision will be our own and its wished that it be respected by all.

Thanks again so far, we're looking forward to reading more posts!! :)

14. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Sounds like the right thing to do, I will contribute to the shipping if nessary, Let me know if this is required.

15. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

i would love to have that car this is great idea!

16. The_Monster

The_Monster

bump

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  17. Are there any rules on this freebie?

Maybe the car has to be titled in your name Monster AND the new owners, therefor they can't just flip a free car for a quick profit? Maybe the rule has to be that they can not sell the car, but they can give it away again on the HAMB in the same fashion they received it?

I believe the car should not go to someone who has financial problems. If they can't afford a car, how can they afford to fix this one up? Afford gas, better yet insurance. IMHO, they won't ever get the car on the road. It will sit for two years and then get sold.

What about length of time on the HAMB, contributions here? Can someone just join to try to win the car? I vote 6 months membership minimum and at least 50-100 solid posts(excluding classified postings).

Better yet, I vote the car goes not to a person, but to a entire car club. Make it a club car for EVERYONE to enjoy...and that would make the problem of funding the upkeep a club issue and they can use dues and fundraisers to do so. I was in a student run club while in college. We owned our own club car for over 25 years. The car would be used as a tool to teach new members on how to care for a classic. Is there a tech school or university close by that has a student body club?

Just my two cents. Great thing your doing!!

18. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

If I'm the one with the "financial Problems" you are referring to, I should point out that just because I don't have a couple thousand dollars for a new project car to throw around that I pay my Insurance, gas and registration just fine and that I've built plenty of cars with very little in the way of money and so have a LOT of HAMBers on here. Unless you are going to audit someone or something I think basing a decision totally on "financial problems" is a silly idea.

I totally agree with you on your other points though, I find some of the people on here with 5 or 6 post rather amusing and it would be interesting to see a car club get it but as someone who has co-owned a car before I can tell you that it gets to be a little tricky when it comes to things like who gets to drive it and register it and where it will stay and that sort of thing.

19. TNCYCLONE

TNCYCLONE

I think the rules are a good idea I mean I wouldn't ask for this car one because I'm new and know there are styles that i want more so it should go to someone with vision for it but like monster said they are given it away I'm sure they have already factored in all the things mentioned

20. Grimz

Grimz
    from Tacoma, WA

Still cannot believe that the college wouldn't take it. Not as a production that they teach but a just for fun and see what we can make.

21. 41chevytruckinga

41chevytruckinga

rules are fine, but like monster said, its his family's decision. I'm sure they have set their own guidlines that they will base their picks on. As far as the length of membership here goes, that really isnt that fair. I have been involved with classics most of my life, but recently stumbled upon this site researching 41-46 trucks before I bought my two recently. im ranting, sorry. Monster, good luck with your decision. It will be a tough one for sure and we will stand behind it 100%. Ryan, is there a way we can get a fund started to help pay for the transport for the merc? maybe a "HAMB relay" and the proceeds of the fund can help with fuel costs of the members that help. Just a thought.

22. I would like to see Rockabilly Kid get it.

I could only hope half the 19 yr old kids I talk to are like him. That kid has a good head on his shoulders. He understands what life is about...family.

23. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

That is awesome Glass_Packs!!! :cool:

24. Meltkamp

Meltkamp

This is just awesome what your doing monster. Soo cool to see that people still caare and want to help other people out
    .So Im 22 but my love of cars started early with my dad owning everything from opels to mercury's. When I was born the car I came home in was a 64 mercury monteray. Anyways, Im in the Usaf and have been in basic and tech school for the past 5 months and have 2 more months to go before I can see my wife (my high school sweetheart). Just recently got married so I dont make the married pay. SO Im struggling from texas while my wife is in washington state to make ends meet. I want a project specifically a mercury or falcon. Then I see this and just had to post. I want a project to build with her cause she is way in love with anything automotive and want to bring her in to the world of pre65 classics.She wants to get something early too as the people and just the joy of keeping that car alive and all the stories it has is just plain awesome. I want something for her to have while Im gone on deployments so on those long nights alone she has something to go be sorrounded by the memories of us together and having fun on this one single thing. I volunteered for 3 years at hot rod shop just to learn sheetmetal working and fabrication and never made more then $100 a week working there just wanted to learn never was bout the money. But then life got in the way and I had to find a job get a cheap daily and have never been able to build anything with her yet. So this project would be for her. Id fix the rust areas and just do a simple mild custom on it. Flaked roof idk what color and a nice subtle bottom color. Lower the car do subtle scallops fender skirts clean the interior up and just drive it for the sake of driving it and enjoying the little time Im going to have with my wife for the next 6 years.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  25. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Monster, please ask the recipient of the Meteor if s/he wants to keep the dash original and therefore retain the stock radio & speakers ... if so, we at Brew City Engineering will provide a RediRad iPod adapter FREE of charge.

PM me if the new owner is interested. At that point I will work directly with him/her.

26. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

27. magec mike

magec mike

Hi my name is Mike. I have been on here since 2009. First off let me say this is a really cool thing you are doing. I would like to put in a word for my son Ed. He got married last year and has had a baby girl 3 months ago. Her Name is Vada Carese. He has been having a bad string of luck. He drives a 1997 malibu. He has put a ton of money into it and it still runs like crap. He recently found out it wont pass inspection this year because the frame around the back tire is bad. He has been laid off alot this year and stuggling to keep afloat. I try to help him financially and was going to help him to try and get a car. However, I just buried my 57 year old brother Dave this week end and picked up quite a few expenses. He has always loved old cars and needs a car as a daily driver. He works 1hr and 15 min. away from home, and has broke down several times to and from work. He is good with his hands as I am, and sure we could put it together for him.
    As far as customising it I dont know. He would just be grateful for having a car for him to drive. I live 4 1/2 hours away so I am not much help for rides. But he and I could get it running in a weekend and go from there.
    He is a great guy and would give someone the shirt off his back. No matter what you decide to do with the car, I think its going to be great.

28. Riding_Dirty

Riding_Dirty
    from Granby

I want to start by saying that this has to be one of the most generous things I've heard of.

I will start with my back ground. I am 21 years old and I love old cars. Gassers, hot rods, leadsleds, you name it, I love it.

I moved to Colorado two years ago looking better myself and get my life in order. I work in our family business and I am so greatful for what my aunt and uncle have helped me with. I also joined Granby fire dept. as a volunteer to do better spend my free time. I never would have thought I would do community service without a court order, haha, but I do and enjoy every minute of it. In fact I spend 10 plus hours a week there and I am working on my Fire Fighter 1 certification now.

I do not have a car as of now and with the economy I have had a hard time saving the money to buy a car of a level I am capable of having on the road in a reasonable amount of time so I can have a daily driver. One problem I have is I do not want a newer car, I want an old car that has soul and inspires me. The '63 merc definately inspires me.

My plans if I were to be given the chance to be a care taker of this car would be one of two ideas I had right away.

I think this car would look fantastic as a gasser. I have always wanted a 4 dr gasser for some reason. I can see this car with red tinted windows, a straight axle, the center headlights in red and cheater slicks on the back, fender well headers, everything that makes a gasser. I would name it shooting star. This is a gasser if I have ever seen one.

My second choice would be to lower it a bunch. Paint the roof a silver with flake in it and the body in a deep shade of red with flake in it also. Maybe chrome reverse wheels. I have not thought this one thru like I have a gasser.

I have been helping my cousin "GotIt" work on his cars since I moved here and I feel I have learned so much from him. He has been teaching me body work, mechanical, fabrication and a bit of paint. I am ready to take on my own project and would like to work next to him on my own.

I am not good withdrawing and I wish I was so I could give a rindering of my ideas.

Riding Dirty

29. robtech

robtech

i def dont deserve it more than some people that have posted already, im...had one of these years ago, also a 4door, but mine was a 63...awesome car! always loved the lines on em...i agree with a previous post...early 60s lowrider...panel paint, flake and lace and supremes...if you want i'll throw my story in to be a candidate and would drive up from northern cali in a heartbeat to own another meteor but regardless good luck to the new owner and you better make something awesome out of her because deals this good dont come around everyday

30. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

x2!