Register now to get rid of these ads!

Time for another squirt

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Living Hamb, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Living Hamb

Living Hamb

Well...if the rain stays away and it's looking a bit iffy at the moment, Living Hamb will be dusted off for another squirt tomorrow night at the Test N Flog.
    Changes since the last outing.....checked the oil level. Might even check the timing :p. Figure the old slanty is good for one more flogging before i shout it some new rings and bearings.

2. Living Hamb

Living Hamb

See if i can improve on the scorch marks from last time. My painters spewing...i love it.

Attached Files:

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

MMMM, semi combusted hydrocarbons. :D

4. Living Hamb

Living Hamb

Well that's 2 planned outings ruined by rain in the last few weeks.....better luck next time???

5. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Keep me in the loop , I just need to run my engine a bit longer and get a new tech done , we can go and have some fun at Willowbank.

6. Living Hamb

Living Hamb

Finally all the planets aligned and we got the LivingHamb to the track for it's second outing tonight at the test n flog.No adjustments from first time. Been too busy, or slack one of the 2! So Poppa was in the seat again as I might be struggling to get him out of it now he's got the bug! 1st pass 16.77/82.09 not bad for first pass. Second pass was PB to date 16.39/82.17. Third pass quicker again 16.17/83.61. Maybe we can squeeze a 15 out of this old smokey stocker yet. Next 2 passes it bogged down off the line both times and ran 17.21/82.44 & 17.44/82.54. So lined up again but in the staging lanes it starts to really "puff" out the breather and a small weep from the oil pump has turned into a noticeable drip. Better call it quits. Looks like engine out time......

7. Living Hamb

Living Hamb

Update on the Living Hamb. Finally got around to looking at the tired old slanty. Only 2 months till Nostalgia nationals. Compression test first as follows 125,115,110, 40,110, 110. So four is dead. So if it ran 16.17 on 5 cylinders can i claim it should run a 15 on 6??? anyway strip down revealed burnt exhaust valve on 4. Every top ring fell apart as i removed pistons, healthy lip on each cylinder, 2 large scratches in bore 2 and crank needs a bit of a clean up. More work than i had hoped and now time is really a factor. oh well, full steam ahead. looks like Poppa's going to get that cam after all hehe

Attached Files:

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

Meh, that'll buff out. :D

I have a similar theory about what the salt falt racer pops and I have, with all the fire staying inside the chambers till the valves open.

9. ScottV

ScottV

Can't you get a can of stuff to pour in the engine to fix that ???!!!???

10. Sooty72

Sooty72
    from Bris-Vegas

I know where there's another engine......oh,wait, it's a post-'62 engine. (Stupid rule if you ask me, it's not going to make the car any faster, it's still a 225 slant 6)
    Let me know if I can help with any parts.
    Cheers,
    Grant.
    :)

11. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Here we go again .......
    Sooty, how 'bout doing a bit of homework? Any engine that didn't change in following years is acceptable. Many, many are "grandfathered" in. The '50s Chrysler/Plymouth flattie sixes alone were put in military vehicles nearly forever.

The slant six blocks in particular are "pure" up 'til they went to cast cranks in '77, and their heads up 'til they changed the combustion chamber in '68. Thus a '76 block with a '67 head would be completely true to the cause, as we prefer ours.

However no one's quibbling even later engines, long as they made no significant engineering changes. In the case of slants some folks are running both cast crank blocks (40 lbs lighter) and peanut heads (marginally better combustion chambers & slush lifters) with no grief. As you've noted, the changes weren't significant. In any question of application it's a matter of what you want to experience.

ps. The literal rule stops at '62, so post '61 is the cut-off.

12. Sooty72

Sooty72
    from Bris-Vegas

I totally agree with you mate, but down here in the land of oz, they may be getting a bit too literal in the rules translation, as we are being told "No, it's gotta be the early block". I have access to a good later model engine, but we can't use it. Glad you guys haev rule makers that see common sense. At the end of the day, it's the same damn engine......
    Cheers to all. ;)

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sorry to hear that, I'd be interested in hearing the rationale.

Oh well, the three plug blocks went up through part of '67 (casting #2463430 for 225 ci, and #2463230 for 170 ci) with very few little tabs or nubbins added. Perhaps simply the three plug look would be acceptable, as there were literally no performance changes for that run of blocks?

14. So would I....?

Reference information...here

http://www.hambstergarage.com/garage/therulesmenu.html

and for you...here...note the bit about the slant carry over design....emphasis on encourage, but did not say must, or shall, and offer option to discuss....

http://www.hambstergarage.com/garage/hagrfaqmenu.html

This is a topic that has been debated, many times, and often by some people who choose to push the envelope too far are generally the loudest and least receptive in their outcome, however, we have never been restrictive to those who enbrace what the class endevours to represent, nor said no to their endevours.

Just remember we have a 13.5 limit imposed on us all, keep within that and happy racing.

Cheers,

Drewfus

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

An apology gentlemen, In my first response I hadn't picked up that you're down under, Sooty.

It looks as if you're dealing with someone who's only read the literal rules, and neither looked into the FAQs on your site nor asked around.

We get that here every couple months or so, thus the tackily cute "here we go again" I opened with.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011