Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any interest in 57 Mercury's out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by de Kuijer, Dec 4, 2010.

1. havi

havi

One of the only cars I remember as a real little kid. Turnpikes have stuck in my head with that rear window, and I'd like to find one, but any one of them now are out of my price range. :(

2. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Sorry I only have a couple photos now. I need to go out there and take more soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a very nice clean original. Underneath is rock solid. Thank you! It makes me very happy to see it appreciated, I certainly feel like one of the few of my generation who "gets it." This is a very important piece of history, and my goal is to have not a single piece on this newer than 1960-1961 other than wear and tear parts. No modern drive train though. The only concession to modernism will be a stereo that is hidden with the radio kept in place, and safety belts since my parents really want me to have them. THATS IT!! :-D

3. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

Here's one i saw yesterday,I think it's a '57.

Attached Files:

4. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Yup that's a '57! It'd be nice to dig that out..I'm really curious if the underneath is completely gone or not. (Turnpike Cruiser yes? I'm only judging by the head lights, it's cool to see 4 door hardtops)

5. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

That's how I felt when looking for any '50s car. I'm only 19, and I know I can't afford a Crown Victoria or a Turnpike Cruiser. However, I'm very happy a good Monterey turned up. It's a good clean 4 door sedan. Sometimes it's the best thing to turn to when everything else has gone up to the stars price-wise. My Dad can't even afford the same car he owned when he was 17!! So we know where you are coming from. Sorry for such a long reply.

6. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Is that in a junkyard? Love to hear more about it! Very Kool!!

7. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Great car!! When you find them in that shape it is not hard to mentally time travel... Love the pushbutton start. People never believe me when I tell them about that. My brother has a BMW and they have a push button start. Where are you located? Do you have any pix of the car in the light? Your car just needs cruiser skirts..

8. awesome582

awesome582
    from Iowa

Gotta love those power rear windows, the stuff they came up with back then....

9. havi

havi

OT, but my father's Electra 225 hardtop 4dr has power windows, and one hit of the buttons, and they all go down, it is kinda cool.

10. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Yes!!! Exactly, I'm hoping I can get a good set. I've been trying to find any, I see no searches for it on google. I found a pair of '57 Ford Cruiser skirts on thenightprowlers?!??! I don't know if those are the same thing but labeled differently? I just want the traditional Merc skirts for it.

And yes, I see exactly what you mean. Stepping in that guy's garage was like time travel. I've been hearing people tell me my Mercury is a time warp. My goal is to keep it that way, if not enhance that aspect more so. I think being the only teenager in town who actually dresses in '50s style everyday as a natural thing, and one who only listens to Doo Wop music by choice, will add a lot. While I believe in reincarnation, someone told me I was born purposely in the wrong era to help keep the '50s tradition alive for the younger generation!!

By the way I'm in Oxford Maine. It's more surprising to find a car that good a shape when all the '50s cars from Maine are rotted away from salt and winter....the worst enemy to old cars. I will be posting more photos soon!!

Sorry to ramble on!

11. I like 57 Mercs.......Here's mine

Attached Files:

12. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

nice...

13. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I am 39 and I've been listening to doo wop since I was 13. Your correct cruiser skirt is 12 by 60. They are always on ebay. There is one on here too I saw yesterday for sale by a guy that has a 58 chevy conv. Big Jim's out of texas sells them but they are fiberglass. Just a thought....

14. Willys 77

Willys 77
    from up north

Had a lot of neat Fords, Mercs back in the 60s and 70s ~ Rag Tops, Glass Tops, Coupes, Flathead stuff. Only one I'd like to have back in the garage is/was a lowly Four Door Hardtop! Yep, a more door. Ya see, it was a Black over YELLOW 1957 "MONARCH TURNPIKE CRUISER" a Canadian, if you will, "Mercury. (Kind of!) Single Headlights (like all Monarchs), 368 with Push button auto, Town and Country Radio - (still have it) Power Seats, Windows etc. Only have one photo! I'll post it when I find it. Oh the heartache of misspent youth - selling the wrong car! .......Thanks for the memories......

15. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

That's good you have an interest in Doo Wop music as well, the more younger folks out there to carry on the tradition, certainly the better. I'll check out the fiberglass ones anyhow. Thanks

16. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Wow! That's really interesting, I'm looking up the Monarchs right now, haven't heard of them before.

17. Willys 77

Willys 77
    from up north

Just found a 1957 Richelieu Sedan. (Can't spell tonight!) Will know more later.

"apound" ~ can you either post more pix of the Black & Yellow Wagon or better yet, email me some? Many Thanks!

Too bad that it turns out to be a '59 MONARCH! Oh well, the HUNT continues!................

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  18. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

19. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

My '57 with the caps finally popped off. Black opened rims will be redone nice though, 2 1/4" white walls and lowered of course.

[​IMG]

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Attached Files:

21. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Beautiful but about 48K out of my range. Love the color though.. I bet families cruised in style on their vacations in 1957...

22. westase1

westase1

Mine - fun to drive - Its not hard to find in a parking lot.

Attached Files:

23. Ran when parked.

Attached Files:

24. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

WOW!!!!! That 57 looks amazing lowered!! I think it would be cool with the original hubcaps and wheels and sit like that... Where did you take that picture?

25. They're hard to find now because at one time they were desirable for demo derbies, and being big heavy cars that's what usually gets picked on first at scrap time in a junkyard. Very rot prone up here too.

But I did see in one yard one of the 2-door wagon models - those are pretty neat pieces. They were hardtops I believe -

26. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I bet the 57 merc along with late fifties imperials would do some serious damage at a demo derby!!

27. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

These cars are in a class of their own!
    A friend of mine in high school back in the late 50's had one, and he and I would swap his Merc for my Harley for a day or two often...
    Loved that big ol' boat!
    Cheers.......

28. dmikulec

dmikulec

I know there's a parts car nearby, will post a photo later when I get home. Floors rotted, as were the fenders around the headlights as I recall.

29. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

30. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez