Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Keep on Truckin' " '34 Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Congrats! Can't ya throw it on top of that white one ton and hall it down to the Round Up? :rolleyes::D

2. I think you can do it Mike, make a plan and go for it.
    I have several issues with my seat and it may cause me to wait till next year for the round up, I'll see what I can do to unfuck it in time to make it there on time.

3. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

As the kids say now days Bring It !:D

4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Congrats on getting it on the road.

Chris

5. Thanks everybody!

6. Plowboy

Plowboy

Nice! ......and it's about fuckin' time!

7. Cymro

Cymro

Braided llines look ok with black shrink wrap over the braid.

8. Ha! Yes, see post #405. Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

Hey! Anyone have a good 283 with front mounts? I think mine's got a rod a knockin'? :(

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

9. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

All the 283's had front mounts as did the 327's and 265's
    Ron

10. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

11. Dave, your the first person I thought of when I saw the blow by out of the fill tube! I only got a few runs around the neighborhood on Sunday before it started snowing ( enough already!) but I could hear some low end noise. like you I hope to drive it through the summer and swap out for a freshy in the winter.

My block is a '57, though the heads and everything stock are/ were '55. The bottom end must have blown up once already. I wonder if the warranty is still good? ;)

12. With the gas tank leaking the bed wood could double as firewood! :D

13. Are those gang signs?:D

14. Congrats! Nice to see it move under it's own power!

15. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

=//= :cool:Bowtie Bandits:cool:

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Congrats man!!!!! THat's so awesome!!!!

17. Thanks pal!

So it is a gang, sweet!

Thanks brudda!

Here's another vid. Rod knock or not, my goofy grin says it all!
    We are in Austin ( no truck) so if you see me, say hi and give me some flak-a-lak. :)

Laters!, mike

18. Ghost28

Ghost28

Awww man that is so cool rod knock or not. I hope you get it ironed out and it is nothing too serious. Man I got a lot of work to still do before mine is on the road.

Congrats to ya. John

19. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

Awesome video........You'll grin from ear to ear each time you take off out of the driveway.....it never stops.

20. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Cactus1

That sure is some nice work you did, removing the wood. Was drooling awhile back when I saw this thread searching the forum. The rivets and everything, very good.

21. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Man, that's cool as hell, congrats! Makes me want to get busy on mine:D

22. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

You said you needed to figure out some window lifts back in post #481. I finished up the passenger door on the '31 last week.

[​IMG]

I used the stock riser and set the window up like a Model A. You take out the 2 stops on the bottom channel, lower the window to slip the riser out of the track and slide the glass up and out the top of the door. The felt kits for a '30-'31 Model A will work with this.

Ron

23. Bad-azz!:D

24. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Just found your build thread and cheated and went right to the end. LOVE the vids! Congrats on getting it running. It looks and sounds amazing and your smile alone makes we wanna build an old ride even more. :)

25. Thanks everybody! We had a blast at the Round Up and now I'm back to work on the old girl.

The whole weekend that we were gone I was fretting over where I would find another engine to rebuild. I got on Craigslist the Tuesday after we got back and found this...
    [​IMG]

Awesome!

This one is all '57 out of a truck. The guy said it runs but leaks at the rear main. We'll see. I put it on my run stand but haven't hooked it up yet.

Anywhoo, I blasted around a bit this weekend. Funny engine noises or not, I had a ball! I'm still tuning and this and that, but it actually goes down the road pretty good.

So, I'm picking away at the little stuff. I think I want to raise the rear end up a couple of inches for a little more attitude. I was remiss in taking any pictures when I had it out this weekend so there is not much new to share. I did put the hood back on and I think it looks a lot better (although it's still kind of funny looking, haha!)

[​IMG]

26. That looks great Ron! Thanks for the ideas.

27. That sure looks like a lot of fun, knocking or not. Great vids too!:D

28. Thanks!

I also forgot, I went to the swap this weekend and in a pickle jar full of different gas caps I found this, my holy grail!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What are the odds? I'm glad I didn't cut that sum bitch off like I was going too!

29. Nethery

Nethery
    from Palm Coast

Very cool truck. The excited laughing is worth its weight in gold. Put you an old Duntov cam in the new engine, that way all you will hear is valvetrain noise insteat of bottom end clatter. Hopefully.

30. Thanks Nethery.

I did a little more tuning and drove around a bit more today. I stopped by my buddy's house and took him and his twin girls for a drive.

Here's a vid he took as I was pulling away.

It's not making quite the racket it was before. Maybe it's not a rod/bearing. Hell, I don't know nuthin'. I adjusted the valves a bit and timed it a little better. If any one in the KC area wants to help me tune this thing, I'll buy you lunch, ha!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011