Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Model Sport Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OoltewahSpeedShop, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Nethery

Nethery
    from Palm Coast

Looking good Kevin. Got any details on the new engine? Sorry the V8 didn't work out for you.

The drilled axle turned out really good. You mentioned chrome, is that the plan? As good as that one turned out you should start drilling them for other people.

don't forget to post pictures of the progress.

2. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

The engine was built for a resto project. We just put in a bigger cam and we are going to use a downdraft intake and header. Nothing crazy, just a souped up stocker.

I don't know about chrome, it's just too expensive and might look weird on this car. Maybe some nickle plating or something? I'd love to have time to take on some outside work, it's just not going to happen any time soon. Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

Hopefully I can make some more progress this weekend...

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Not sure if I've mentioned this lately but this roadster is one of my new favs!
    [​IMG]

4. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Mine too Jeffrey. Just about perfect in my eyes. Here's what I have for later... Will it look as good without fenders?

Attached Files:

5. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Any clues on adapting '40 brakes to an A model rear end?

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I scavenged a '40 rear end. School me on the way to adapt it.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

8. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn, that one is slammed. Love the Y block with 2x4's.

9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I still have to trim the cone back and run a straight piece of tube :D
    [​IMG]

10. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

I took these pics in South Dakota last summer

Attached Files:

11. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I wonder if the present caretaker is a Hamb guy? I'd love to get some recent details on this car. Is it still banger powered?

12. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

Sorry I honestly can not remember for certain but I think it was

13. No, V8...look at the shot of the back with the hood open, you can see the head

14. Trick lookin header, but will the wishbone hit it when the suspension travels?

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

^^^^
    I set the header with the front wheel jacked on one side until the frame came off the jack stand. It should be good until I lower it and then I will have to slit the bones.

16. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Got a set of BCCHOPIT flanges on the way for the banger. Went with his 2 carb Stromberg/Ford 94 downdraft kits. Any suggestions on jetting for 94's?

Next question. What are you guys using for a fuel pump since the carbs are higher than the tank?

Thanks in advance. You guys have been giving some GREAT advice so far and I'm sure these questions will be the same....

Kevin

17. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

18. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Got the intake, header, and carb flanges today. Excellent work Bill. Very nice. Can't wait to see what they turn into.

19. Lucky444

Lucky444

Posting these up for Kevin, his computer's on the fritz. I'll let him explain what's going on though.

Here are the new pics....

Attached Files:

20. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

First of all, thanks for posting the pics Jason. The Hamb is a great thing. Pics from Tennessee posted by your buddy in Hawaii, pretty cool.

I used a set of '40 wishbones, cut the old spring hangers off, wire brushed them good. I decided to use heim joints on the bones because I already had them. We cut them down to 40" so they would clear the running board brackets and battery box, since we are running fenders. I'm planning on leaving the battery in the stock location, but don't know if it will clear the hyd brake stuff?

I planned on using the stock A model front spring with a few leaves removed. It is mocked up in the shots with the fenders, but it's to wide. The So Cal axle perches are 2" narrower than stock. So.... I went with a Posie's reversed eye spring.

In the last couple of shots everything is painted semi gloss black with the inset of the axle painted a metallic nickle. I'm using Superbell dropped steering arms on '40 spindles after I cut off the stock arms.

I'm cleaning up the rest of the front brake stuff and getting them ready for paint. Up next is adapting the '40 rear end and torque tube to the '29 chassis and banger.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  21. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Anybody have a suggestion on king pin bushings? Is one kit better than the other, or all the same?

Thanks,
    Kevin

22. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

After a bunch of looking and measuring, the splines on the '40 enclosed drive shaft seem to be the same as the A model. On the trans end anyway.... Is this right? I thought I read somewhere I would have to respline the shaft to fit? I know it will have to be shortened, but is that all?

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Project looks like it is moving along nicely. Glad it will be a full fendered car.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I thought they were different as well. Check with Chris or look through his threads because I believe that he had to change over the splined because they were different. Maybe on his roadster?

Looking really good!!! Can't wait to see it in the South East!!

25. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Chris got me straightened out on the drive shaft. The transmission end of the shaft is the same on the '40 & '29. So next up is shortening up the '40 torque tube, shaft & wishbones to fit the A model wheelbase. I'm going to leave the spring behind on the rearend, so there will be a little bit of fab work on the rear crossmember.

Maybe I will be able to post pics again soon. Damn droid phone....

26. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Kevin, Car is coming along just fine. Very good construction. Very clean and neatly done. Keep on rollin' !

Dave

27. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

The brake shoe adjusters, up in the middle of the backing plate, that have the springs behind the outside bolts, with the adjusting cams on the inside.... Do the come apart? I've been fighting them (or they have been fighting me) for the last 2 evenings. I'd like to get them apart for paint, but no luck. Either they are REALLY stuck, or don't come apart which I don't believe.

Any clues?

28. 6inarow

6inarow

I am all for the nickel plating on the front axle - will fit the project

photos of the 4 banger?

good job

29. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

The banger is coming this week.... Can't wait to see it between the rails for the first time in 45 years. I think Pete would be proud that we are putting the banger back in his car.

30. DeepSea Fish

DeepSea Fish

The car is looking great.

Who is Pete?