Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956? Caddy value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raidmagic, Apr 12, 2011.

1. raidmagic

raidmagic

Hey guys, help me out here. I found this car for sale and the owner doesn't have a price in mind he is accepting sealed bids for it. I'm thinking about putting a bid on it but don't know where to start.
    Here's what I do know:
    The car is from Montana
    It was owned and driven by a farmer untill his death then stored for 10 years in a barn. It has about 60,000 miles on it.
    Unknown is engine size.472 or 500? It does run and drive but needs work. The body is amazingly solid.
    Anyway, with that description and these pics what is my ballpark for making an offer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

right off hand I couldn't say but if it was done right there has been a lot done to it.

The Probably 500 engine as it has an hei, subframe or frame swap and a few other things add to it. Some of the bolt on crap rather take away but that is easy to fix.
    You can most likely pawn the all wrong for the car skirts off on someone else for a couple of bills bit I don't see added value in them as far as the car is concerned.
    Probably about 5k if it runs and drives right now but I haven't studied the prices of those.

3. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I don't know about Florida's market for caddy's, but I have seen guys here in California spend bucket loads of money restoring, or customizing them and not get near what they put into it when or if they go to sell them.

4. Moondog13

Moondog13

I don't know about the farmer barn-find story, there's a lot of modern crap bolted on to it (as well as the flat-black + pin-striping). If the body is as solid as it looks, I'm thinking 3500-4500.

5. Wow! That '56 is sweeeeet!! Personally, I would easily pay over $4000 for it. But that's me, with my insanity! I'm soft on those '56s...

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

In California you couldn't even HOPE to buy that thing for less than 12K to 15K in THAT condition. Those Caddys are gold. In Florida I have no idea, but if I could get it for under 8k ANYWHERE in the Continental U.S. I'd say you got a good deal.

7. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

I don't get into what its worth threads, but I had to laugh that a "farmer" would have that paint, and leopard print on the door panels. Looks to be a 90's Chevy truck column, btw.

I dont think the condition is that good, except for the body, and that may have some hidden. Looks kinda hack jobbed.

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

That looks pretty rough for a 60k mile car. Maybe more like 160k (or more)...:cool:
    I wouldn't pay more than 3 grand for it, because it appears to need damn near everything.

9. I would pay whatever YOU are comfortable with and not a penny more.

10. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

damn I want those wheels, I bought my 56 running and driving, with original 60k miles on the 365, with very little rust for 2500 if that helps

11. Abomb

Abomb

X2......maybe the farmer was into rockabilly though...:D

12. And don't forget Farmer Brown's 10 foot shifter either :eek:

I think the guy selling it is making up a load of Bull Shit from the farmer's yeard.

13. raidmagic

raidmagic

Well since the farmer sold it I'm sure this work was done to it although I don't know any of that story to be true it's just what I was told by the guy brokering the sale for the owner. I'm going back to hear it run and hopefully drive it this weekend. If I do I'll report back with more info.

14. Blackcat333

Blackcat333

Seriously! Here in Cali that thing would be worth some $$$.

15. Wow theres alot of rock-a-silly butchery going on there, but if it's truly not a typical Florida bondo-and-chicken-wire shitbox, it might be worth your time. One thing about old luxury cars- (and trust me, I own a 63 Monterey and a '65 Eldorado) ----the devil is in the details! If the power options need work, it can cost you plenty, and it looks like the power bits on that car might have taken a good hacking.

If its truly un-rotten and potentially runs, I'd go no more than $2500. The economy sucks soooo bad around here in Florida, it's a total buyers market.

16. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

offer 5-hundo bux

17. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

I'd go 5 k if the body is good
    good luck

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lol, I looked at the pics, I smell a lot of bullshit in that story, take a magnet and check the hell out of the body... I'd say maybe $2500

19. I'm sure there aren't many others making offers on it. The only thing that brings money in central Florida at the moment is the cookie cutter stuff- meaning pre war fords, tri five chevys, and muscle cars.

20. Moondog13

Moondog13

I second this. :D

21. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Wow i cant believe people can say this car is worth anything under 5k!? Serious!? Even in the condition its sitting i wouldnt see this car going for anything under 8k in So Cal!

22. It's Florida. Sadly, by the Florida mainstream, if it's not a 32 ford or 69 camaro, it's considered offbeat and no one cares. If the owner were to advert it nationally it might very well bring good dough. But to wait for someone driving around Brandon/Tampa to stop and make an offer, or to put it on the local craigslist, good luck! I'd bet my testicles it would struggle to get $3k in that condition. The market is flooded with cars around here- craigslist, car shows, swap meets, etc. A good example would be the Daytona Turkey Run, the "for sale" car corral now easily dwarfs the show section, basically just a huge 3-day used car lot in the infield of the speedway that they call a car show.

23. Moondog13

Moondog13

I second this also. Luckily it works to our advantage, I loooove being able to buy running rusty "off-beat" cars for less than 3k. :D

24. Exactly! I just bought this '65 Eldo for $4000 here in Lakeland and drove it home, been driving this piss out of it for weeks, its clean and everything works. Now is the time to buy for sure!

[​IMG]

25. Buzznut

Buzznut

You guys outside Cal have it good as far as car prices go...

26. petebert

petebert

Us outside of Cali? I think the same thing every time I see cars for sell there. So many available and so much cheaper then out here.

As far as the Cadillac in question, my BS meter is getting pretty active. Farmer in Montana had some custom airbrush, leopard print door panels and had his car slammed, sure I believe that.

27. greenblood

greenblood

Saw this car on B-Gay a while ago for a long time, I think he was asking around $8000, brakes needed doing. Oh to have a memory

28. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

I just realized the car is in Florida...Very true ive seen so many great deals out that way to bad its far from where i am

29. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

In any transaction, there are only two factors at work: How badly does the buyer want it and how badly does the seller want to get rid of it.

You only need to determine the former. That makes it more about you than about the seller.

You put the former into the envelope and the seller will answer the latter.

But this only describes an honest transaction and doesn't factor in any game-playing or speculation.

30. ask him "what will it take to buy it right now!" sealed bids... f@#k that.