Register now to get rid of these ads!

You have got to see this!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop50, Apr 2, 2011.

1. budd

budd

i would like to try soldering aluminum and i would like to give brazing a try to, i had an old guy braze a cast aluminum shifter mount for me that held up really well, i like to watch this video of brazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWmpSE-hXk

2. TOYBOX

TOYBOX

3. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

30 years ago there was a guy selling a similar product, doing demonstrations at county fairs ect. He even welded pop cans together with it. I bought some and it didn't work at all when I got it home, neither did it for anyone else I talked to.

4. Jerryinok

Jerryinok
    from Oklahoma

Dad bought some one time years ago and was the same way, there is a trick to either get it to stick or not burn up what your welding. The guys that sell them sure make it look easy.

5. knucklepower

knucklepower
    from .

very interesting, I have use for it

"The guys that sell them sure make it look easy. " yes, I also think

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Same here. The video says "3 times stronger than the first generation product".
    I like the idea of using it for a quick fix for pulled intake threads. That could be a quick fix on a daily where you don't have room for a tap. It would save a lot of labor pulling/re installing an intake!

7. ScottV

ScottV

This is no doubt more technology brought to us by the aliens, like Velcro !!! :eek:

8. It should be easy to make custom A/C lines with that stuff...

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Pretty impressive video, but they lost my confidence when they used the word "stretchier" to describe the product.

I bought some "Alumaweld" sticks years ago and found they were hard to get to stick.

Still looking forward to reviews here.

10. tomslik

tomslik

does it work on pot metal? (old chevy grills,etc?)

11. I was a tig welder for 40 years and can tell you prep is everything especially with aluminum.

12. king of the mercs

king of the mercs

Man what a product!!! I am ordering mine tomorrow..thanks king of the mercs

13. HuffDaddy

HuffDaddy

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

The whole idea of building up the stuff using a mold has got me thinking... I've got an aluminum head that is juuuuuust thick enough but have yet to get it milled true. At this point, it's just a piece of wall art... if I had another couple thousandths of an inch of material to mil off though...

Things that make you go hmmm.

15. choptop50

choptop50
    from Las Vegas

Yes, ill get the flyer scanned in it does A LOT of metals.

16. Seems like a good product to fill pits in pot metal prior to chroming. But, can you chrome over it?

17. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

18. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Up till about 3-4 years ago I used quite a lot of a similar product in the repair of alum. boat props. Had/have a tig, but once I used the special rods I used it almost exclusively on aluminum props. Boat props live in in a water that is often loaded with contaminents that soak into the cast aluminum's pores and no amount of wire brushing or grinding is gonna remove it. With the more gradual heat increase of the propane torch, or an oxy/acet. tuned to a "feathered" flame, these contaminents are driven out and consumed in the flame.
    But with a tig, the intense heat is also instantaneous, and you windup with surface pits just OUTSIDE the weld bead, flow a bead over them and they just move further out! You don't get those pits with the aluma rod type of rod and the more gradual increase in heat from the torch as it starts a weld and slowly progresses.
    Beveled edges on parent metal, thorough cleaning, and taking care to tin as shown vs just melting the rod onto a surface are the key to success.
    The stuff most prop shops use though, is prone to tarnishing if not painted.
    Dave

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  20. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Dig the music

21. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

22. OldBolts

OldBolts

how about something like that for magnesium...probably be to scary and burn up!

23. pitman

pitman

Please explain, how does a true grade five bolt fail...when over torqued in Aluminum?
    Any hands go up out there? The parent aluminum is typically 1/3 the weight, but half as strong as steel. (Just a rule of thumb) I do not buy the idea that you can fail a Gr 5 bolt, threading into cheese, or softened AL.

24. choptop50

choptop50
    from Las Vegas

So I went to my dads last night and brought up this cool stuff I found when he stopped me and reached over on the shelf in the garage and handed me a tube of 50. Just to let you know the video makes it waaaaay easier looking than it is. All I could figure out to do was melt a soda can lol.

25. ratman

ratman

I have used it and it does what the video says, BUT BEST OF ALL it does work on pot metal very well. So those broken and cracked hard to get bits can be repaired and rechromed.
    The secret is the stainless steel wire brush used before the tinning process.:):D

26. I used "Alumaweld" with mixed results mainly because I couldn't get a good clean in the tight spaces!

Over all they did the job and the secret is the Stainless steel wire brush... and for the tight spots it's worth buying the really small stainless steel brushes!

27. pauls fords

pauls fords

Used in WW2 to patch bullet holes in aircraft......

28. cobramerc

cobramerc

I bought some rods a couple of years back and they work good you just got to learn the knack with the cleaning and heating,just fixed something last week with it.

29. maddog1949

maddog1949

That was a pretty cool