Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original Northeast Speed Shops?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, May 15, 2005.

1. How about Breidigers Speed shop in Tatamy, Pa and Superior Automotive and Coopers Speed shop in Allentown. I think the Breidiger bros. might still have their '65 Z16.

2. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

...is Langhorne still there?

3. Jimv

Jimv

In cranston, RI On elmwood ave i think!
    JimV

4. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

did you know bill wimble or b4 ur time?

5. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Stu Sadler's shop in Portsmouth, NH. I didn't know Stu when he had the shop but when I moved to NH in the 80s, Stu was running a NAPA store that had all the NOS stock from the speed shop in the storeroom. You could get back there to browse and if you wanted to buy something, he looked it up in the last price list he could find. Some great bargains on Hurst shifters and such as I remember as the price lists were way out of date.

6. 55chevr

55chevr

Early 60-s .... Hempstead Speed and Sport ... I believe owner was Vic Latucca ... he ran a 63 super stock hemi Dodge ...

7. CHOP36

CHOP36

Its still there Barry the owner sells a lot of good old cars ,there is always a bunch to see when you go by.

8. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

that place has got some history boy, been there forever...I gotta go check it out while it's still around, thanks.

9. BBCvette

BBCvette
    from NY

Chuck's in Mamaroneck is still around. He's been there since the 70's. Moroso's place in Greenwich was always neat.

10. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

wow, next time I go home to avon (where I grew up) I am going to have to go check out and see whats there now...if you ever find any pictures I would love to see them!...actually come to think of it I went to highschool with a John Kulak I wonder if thats the son or grandson...avon wasnt that big back then

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  11. paulspanel

paulspanel

Anyone remember Red Barn Speedshop, Kinderhook, N.Y.? ---I remember some Jr. Stocks and Modified Production cars showing their support.

12. MGGeerJr

MGGeerJr

There was a speed shop in Waterford, CT on Rt1 and a couple in Montville too. I'll have to dig out some of my old racing programs from the Speed Bowl and I'll post the ads.

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Pretty sure they are,,though most of the shops down that way ,,are on the verge of closing

Speed Equipment is still there on Street Road

14. tackspitter

tackspitter

15. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

he's still around.

16. VegaDave

VegaDave
    from capecod

...been lurking around this site for some time. decided to join even though me and my car(s) are from from the 70's, hope I don't get kicked out. just remembering all my trips to various Boston area speed shops back in the day after reading these posts. used to buy lotsa stuff from Dana @ New England Speed, Dick @ Speedco & Mike @ PV. also Hub Auto Supply, Plaza Speed (in Burlington). for machine work I used go to Ted Wingate @ Precision Balancing in Bedford or J Pulver @ McInnis Auto in Acton. bought fabbed stuff from Chick @ Brignolo chassis back in Dedham. raced mostly on the street (when the cops changed shifts @ 11pm..haha ) don't do that any more though... just cruise shows. love reading the stories here. thanks!

17. MGGeerJr

MGGeerJr

18. the shadow

the shadow

...heard last week Langhorne is closing their doors this spring.

19. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

damn....another of the legendary speed shops...gone.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  20. I think you're confusing two names.
    The Speed Barn in Kinderhook ,NY
    and Red Barn Speed, Ludlow, Mass.

21. j.d.roost

j.d.roost
    from Ne.PA

...heard last week Langhorne is closing their doors this spring.

They are cleaned out and closed. :(

22. timh

timh

There was CLEMBERTS speed shop in east Haddem conn. they were a Moon dealer and had a NELSON & MARTIAN dragmaster dragster. The ALLEY OOP B dragster had CLEMBERTS name on the right side. we bought parts from them before I started COMPETITION AUTOMOTIVE in Danbury. The picture of my A dragster on the trailer in front of my shop the trailer was built by me, not lynwood. tim hallock

23. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Remember seeing you drive the Lyndwood rail, with a leather jacket if I remember right...

24. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Bunch from Our Forum following...Each has its own topic and plenty of Discussion.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  25. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

<LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Nelson's auto Stamford
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Freds Speed Shop
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Flips Speed Shop
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">ROCKET STORE IN Poughkeepsie? anyone remember?
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Vic's Speed Shop
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read_hot.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">FAIRBANKS RACING AUTOMATICS </DT><DT title="No new posts">
    </DT></DL> M & M Speed & Custom
    <LI class="row bg1"><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Competition Automotive- Danbury
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Speed Parts Center
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Hawthorne Auto Parts
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">S&K Speed-Long Island
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">DEBS...Moe Deluge & Ralph Ridgeway
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Jocko's...Poughkeepsie
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">STEVE KANUIKA SPEED SHOPS
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">B & R Speed Specialties Brewster,N.Y.
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">THUNDER SPEED, formerly harry's Speed Shop, Beacon,N.Y.
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">The Automobile Shop - Bedford Hills.N.Y.
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Valley performance Specialties
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">A & S Performance -Danbury
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">House Of Speed...Danbury
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Rizzi's Auto Parts
    </DT></DL>

26. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

<DT title="No new posts">COMPETITION PLUS -Yonkers
    </DT><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">The "CHEVY SHOP"
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">OFFICIAL AUTO PARTS
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">SPEED KING AUTO -Mt Vernon ,N.Y
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Strauss Auto Store, Mt.Kisco,N.Y.
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><LI class="row bg2"><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">orange county speed shop
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">ED's CUSTOM AUTO...Newburgh,N.Y.
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">AUTOMOTION...two stores
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">east coast speed shop
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">First Performance Speed Shop -Eastchester
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Valley Performance Specialties ...Wappingers Falls
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Champion Auto Engineering
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">TERENZIO BROS. Racing Engines & Chassis
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">J & J Electronic Balancing, Paterson, NJ
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Jim's Speed Emporium -Meriden,Ct.
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">Westchester Automotive
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg1"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read_hot.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">B & L Automotive
    </DT></DL><LI class="row bg2"><DL style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(./styles/prosilver/imageset/topic_read.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" class=icon><DT title="No new posts">S & S Speed Shop
    </DT></DL>

27. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Beeline Automotive-Stamford
    Pressleys
    D&D Performance

28. timh

timh

You are right on I had cycle leathers pants&jacket, Fire suits were hard to come by in 1960 timh

29. 65 Hemi Coronet

65 Hemi Coronet
    from Florida

I grew up in north central Jersey in the late 60s early 70s, and the biggest speed shop that I knew of was Van Iderstein's in East Hanover on Rt 10. Used to drive by there every day back and forth to work.....and stop by there about every friday to drop a portion of my paycheck off!! They sponsored a top fuel car, and had a record holding 55 Chevy gas car. The tunnel ram and carbs off that car ended up on my 64 Chevelle D/MP car.....:D

30. B&T Tony

B&T Tony
    from NJ

Did you know about the B&T Reunion