Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opel Rekord and Opel Kapitän

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dickies, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Dickies

Dickies
    from Sweden

Hi, Now I'm trying to build my first custom car.
    The car I have is an Opel Rekord 1960 and now i wonder if anybody has photos of a custom Opel Rekord or a Opel Kapitän

2. dorksrock

dorksrock

Hey welcome to the HAMB! before you start just jumping the gun and asking questions I would suggest you do and intro on the introduction page at the top of the forum. People tend to flip out here if you dont do that first. I have never seen any custom opels, but the styling on the Rekord is kinda cool, and could be a cool custom. Good luck!

3. Agreed. Start off with your intro and begin things right, then help will come a bit easier. We're building a 58 Rekord for my old lady right now. Parts are a pain to find but they're out there.

4. Dickies

Dickies
    from Sweden

Now i have introduced myself.:)

5. Much appreciated. Just noticed your in Sweden. Parts would be much easier for you find on that side of the pond as everything we've had to buy for hers has been imported to America. Also judging by your avatar yours is about 100 times better condition than hers is, so you're off to a good start!

6. Dickies

Dickies
    from Sweden

Yes, there is one that sells parts here in Sweden. Thanks, the car looks good. Will see if I manage to add some photos here

Attached Files:

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have a 59 Opel Rekord Olympia in great shape. Needs to have wheel cylinder in right rear put in, but other than that I think it will run fine.

I do have a question for you: do you know where the second vehicle id number is at? The guy I bought mine from had it painted and the painter lost the id plate. I have a blank plate, but would like to know where the other id is stamped. Someone has suggested under the radiator on the crossmember.

I do have a Texas title which has an id number on it. I was going to check engine # to see if it matches up.

Any help would be appreciated.:D
    thanks

8. rld14

rld14

Neat cars, remind me of my Vauxhalls. Love to see some more pics and I think they'd make a great project.

9. owned a couple of those when I was a kid, neat little cars, I put so many miles on my first one just driving it up and down the alley before I had a license. Can't find them here anymore.

10. Heo

Heo

I customised one with dynamite when i was around 11-12
    no pics though they sold many in sweden but they rusted
    real bad in the late sixties you almost didnt see them anymore

11. Do it! I didn´t want to get involved chopping the front or rear screens, but you can take a lot of crown out of the roof without touching them. Your´re chopping the side windows only. I added some Astros, a little bigger than stock and Packard rear lights too.

Stock, for comparison.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Orn

Orn

13. Dickies

Dickies
    from Sweden

nice photoshop design!
    if you want, do a opel rekord that is lowered, matte black, red or green rims?

You know what I mean:cool:

14. I used to have a 1962 Opel Rekord P2 olymat (semi automatic), a 1970 Opel Commodore pillarless coupe and a 1972 Opel Kadett B, one owner car.
    They are nice Euro cars and in Holland don't cost the world.

15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Sadly OT but I love the "Coke-bottle" Rekord/Commodore hardtop. In fact they're all cool, from the "miniature Chevelle" early-'60s model all the way to the '80s wedge - and all were available with two doors.

And a SBC fits very easily.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And Opel supplied SBC's under its own label once...in the Diplomat. Do they have Opel valve covers???

17. Heo

Heo

Yes i think they had or was it diplomat on the valvecovers
    if i remember right it was a riveted plate with opel or diplomat
    to long time since i saw one
    sold 2 aircleaners from a diplomat i had a couple a years ago
    283 in the diplomat and kapitän 327 in the diplomat coupe

18. No thanks. Matte black and red rims don´t make your car a Kustom.

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im w/ Nedd on these, i totally love the coke bottle HTs Opel made, but only from the late 60s to the early 70s.
    They would make great cruisers if done w/ taste.
    sorry to hijack, but then again, do you really wanna ruin that nice paint w/ black primer? you would be excused only if you are 18 and just got into cars.

20. Dickies

Dickies
    from Sweden

Yes, I know that the car is not a custom if i´m just doing that, but it would be fun to see.

I am 21 years old and this is my first car-building.
    I have just built motorcycles and dragbikes previously.

21. Señor X

Señor X
    from Spain

I had this 62' some years ago.... not too much modifications: decked, nosed, custom tail lights and fender skirts, lake pipes, good paint job... and the result was not too bad!

Attached Files:

22. Weasel

Weasel

They do indeed....

[​IMG]

23. Weasel

Weasel

I used to drive a Coke bottle Rekord as a taxi shift when I lived in Munich, but the ones that got me were the 1937-1940 Opel Admirals. They are so much nicer to my eye than the US built GM cars of that era with their Chrysler Airflow Art Deco styling influences. Just check out those deco running boards. What a beautiful ride these would make....

2 door cabriolet

[​IMG]

4 door cabriolet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Four door sedan

[​IMG]

And even a Hebmüller bodied cabriolet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

My first car was a 60 Rekord.
    It had yellow metal flake paint, Appliance deep dish wheels, TA radials and black diamond tuck interior.
    Pretty cool stuff in the 70's.
    Wish I would of taken a picture of it.
    Paul

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Let's not forget that Ford of Germany had their competitor in the late '50s and early '60s:
    [​IMG]
    Whatever one does with a Rekord will also work on a Taunus 17M. Cool potential little mini-customs both.

I've always liked the subsequent model, though, the one with the weird headlights.

26. Sweet... My first 2 cars were Opels, a 71 Manta and a 74 1900 wagon

27. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Taunus 17M have the Cologne built V-4 (later to become Merc Capri V6s?)

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

This one is a P2 and has a 1698cc inline four. The first V4 17M was the P5 of 1964-67, though I believe the V4 was introduced earlier on the 12M/15M.

29. Weasel

Weasel

Slightly going off topic as this was meant to be an Opel thread, but Ford of England also used a 2 litre V4 in the Corsair....

The Taunus V4 was a V4 piston engine with one balance shaft, introduced by Ford Motor Company in Germany in 1962. The German V4 was built in the Cologne plant and powered the Ford Taunus and German versions of the Consul, Granada and Transit. It was not a 'true' V engine as two opposing pistons did not share one crankpin on the crankshaft.

The V4 was later expanded into the Ford Cologne V6 engine that is used in the Ford Capri and many other Ford cars. The V4 engine was (and still is) also used in industrial applications: pumps, electrical generators, and in agricultural machinery. In automobiles, the Taunus V4 was replaced by the Ford OHC/Pinto engine.

[​IMG]

30. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

The ford V4 was used in SAAB 95 and 96 from 1967 to 1980 and in Sonet