Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who wants a 1963 Mercury Meteor... for FREE??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Monster, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Monster, I would first like to say, This is really a great thing you are doing here. I am a 16 year old high school junior, Going to be 17 in July. I just got my drivers license this month, But have no car of my own. My next step is to get a job. I have been around cars my entire life, my Dad is a mechanic and has owned his own shop for 30 years. For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with cars one way or another. The thing that really lit the fire was when my dad decided he wanted to start working on his 1954 Mercury that had been sitting for years. So over the summer, with help from friends, we did the bodywork and paint. By September, we had it ready to debut at Billetproof. The feeling of rolling into that show for the first time in a car I had helped with was one I will never forget. Ever since then, I have LOVED Traditional rods and customs and have wanted a project car of my own, but being a high school student without a job could not afford one. If I was picked to receive the Meteor, I would first focus on getting it drivable. I think I would keep the stock steel wheels, but get some whitewall tires. For paint I think the roof would look good flaked, maybe a green or blue. The body, maybe white, Possibly scallops? I'm just thinking mild, tradition custom. Since I live in Northern California, I think I would have to trailer it back. I really love these cars, and would love to be able to do this car some justice by getting it back on the road and driving the wheels off of it! Regardless of your decision, Monster, Your a hell of a guy for giving us the opportunity to own this car.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  2. daddylama

daddylama

Monster: you rock... damn cool idea from a cool dude.

to whomever gets it: think full-on lowrider. a full panel flake/pattern job, astro supremes and a mean reverse rake on this thing would f'ing rock.

3. coolfoot

coolfoot
    from Oregon

Say Monbster, Great idea! Do you have any dash photos?

4. nihil

nihil
    from US

I know a candidate who would appreciate it hugely. I've known this man and his fiancee for 12+ years now. They've seen me through good and bad times, and a guy really couldn't ask for better friends. The first day I met them we started talking about cars, and almost every time we get together we always end up with him saying "man, when I get a project car... ". They both love classic cars, though she is partial to woodies (yeah, pun intended).

Personally I have a `68 Charger R/T 440, a built Jeep TJ, and a tweaked Audi as a daily driver. I got the Charger back on the road about a year ago, and this has just lit the fire under his ass that much more. Half the time when we're hanging out at his place the three (or four if my woman is present) of us end up watching the classic car auction shows and playing the "I'd love to have that one" game.

While he has a good job, he and his woman just bought a house, and recently announced that they're getting married after 15 or so years of being together (that's a hell of a test drive if you ask me). Between the house and the honeymoon money is relatively tight, and their plans to have a classic car to cruise around in have been put on the back burner.

I signed up on the HAMB tonight to do some research for a `54 Chevy project I'll be working on for someone else, and after seeing this thread got to thinking it would be the perfect wedding present for a great couple. I'll cover shipping to St. Louis and we'll do most of the major work here at my place, though he is slowly building up a decent collection of tools himself.

As an added bonus, with that little 260, his classic car will definitely be slower than my classic car. :D:D:D

Anyway, just another candidate to add to the list. Thanks for considering them.

-H

5. rockabilly_kid

rockabilly_kid
    from Reno, NV

Seeing some great posts here. Thanks again for this opportunity! Forgot to post my idea for what would be done with the car though. After years of hearing what my mom would do if she had her own classic, here's what I've come up with.

I would do some sort of pink color, like a really pretty shade. Not hot pink..more like a bright baby pink. It's my moms favorite color, and also her favorite color on an old car. The roof, would be leopard print. It would be lowered just a little bit, and would have wide white wall tires. The rims would be pearl white, and it would have spyder caps..but they would be painted the same shade of pink as the car would be, instead of being chrome spyder caps. The interior would be mostly stock, but the seats of course would be a velour leopard print material, and the dash and steering wheel and garnish trim would all be black, with pink pin striping in certain areas to accent the trim. Actually, the steering wheel might be done in pink as well. Not sure. The motor and tranny would be kept original, I'd rebuild the 260 V8 and keep that under the hood.

That's the general idea of what I'd do for her.

-Allan

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  6. sololobo

sololobo

What a nice little car, it looks like it could buff up and look damn nice, a nice set of hubcaps and maybe some wide whites if in the budget and it would be great cruzin. Heidi is beautiful in all the pix and I salute rockabilly kid for looking out for such a cool mom. Would sure be great to see this come together. I am so impressed with the idea of helping someone out with some transpo and to have it be so cool is awesome. Good Luck to all. ~sololobo~

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

...hmm...

8. Good on ya, Monster. This is what the hobby is all about. Families, good times, helping hands..it's great that you're doing this. I'm betting this will be a life-changing experience for some lucky person and their family. Plus, the V8 Meteor looks like a fantastic candidate!

In a world that sometimes seems so full of full of bad news and bad people, there are the things we love to see happening.

I think a poll would be a great idea, keeping in mind that Monster should have final say for what he has in mind.

9. RDR

RDR

OK Monster....this will get really difficult....have you figured out who's going to make this decision?....will it go to a vote of HAMBers...an individual or group of your choice decision?...WOW brother, neat idea;BIG decision...fun,fun,fun!

10. Best sticky in ages ! You're the right stuff Monster, period !

11. This is an awesome thing that you are doing Monster. :cool: 1st Class all the way!
    Scot

12. Pacsh

Pacsh
    from Venice, FL

Here is my entry:

Fix the rust, the apply the five "S's":
    Strip, Swap (260 for 302), Slam (4-link), Shave (Door handles), & Spray (Satin black w/ Candy/Medium flake roof).

Wheels and Tires: Stock wheels painted black or roof color with spider caps, beauty rings, and thin white walls

Interior: Simple black vinyl, with tuck & roll in small areas. Spray all interior plastic black

Throw some Glass packs on it, or just straight pipes, and its done.

>>>EDIT<<<
    Seth Kenny
    Sarasota, Fl
    I'd be willing to pay to get it shipped

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  13. FREE MERCURY!!!!!!!!??????? Of course you don't live anywhere near me,hahaha!

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very cool. Subscribed!

15. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I got nothing but respect for you, Monster. Good luck with your decision.

16. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I was very moved by the post from the young man rockabilly kid. When I was a young man my Mother became very sick with breast cancer. It was 1965 and the social safety net was pretty thin in those days, we couldn't afford for my Dad to take time off from his job. I learned to change Mom's dressings from her pretty horrendous surgery every morning ang evening and as you can imagine that was a pretty intimate thing for a 16 year old. The Doctors suggested strongly that she should get her affairs in order and her life expectancy was no more than 5years. Only one of them was at all optomistic and he said she should keep a positive attitude and just go out and live. Mom passed away in 2005 at 89 from natural causes, out living all of the Doctors and my Dad. She lived a very productive life and was still going to car events until the year she died. I appologize for high jacking the thread but as I said I was very moved by the story and proud of the two men

17. Zerk

Zerk

I don't need or deserve it. Just wanted to say that it's a neat car, and you are tops in my book for offering it to someone who does need and deserve it...

and who will learn how to paint on it, and do some awesome gold/bronze/tan/black/brown lace panels on the newly 3" lowered, chrome wheels with baby moon caps with pinner whitewalled Meteor.

oops, did I say all that?

18. 'Mo

'Mo

I like post #2.
    One short row of inverted louvers on each side of the the hood near the cowl (so no bracing would have to be cut) would get things started. The widest die you have.

How far is it from Brush Prairy to Portland?

19. 15 minutes up the road

20. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Here's what I'd do:

Fix it and drive it. I personally wouldn't customize it. I'm not that old (I'm 28) and already I'm noticing how few original rides there are from the 50s and 60s left...forget about 40s and earlier...

Not that I am against customs, but when I see a car as straight as this, I think that it should be cleaned up and driven so that others can see some cool iron rolling around in it's original glory. I'd clean up the engine (and if it needs it, tear it down and rebuild the motor), repair the body and respray it with the original color, clean up the interior, and enjoy it.

I'm in Portland, OR if that helps, and I have the means to flatbed tow the car and make it streetable.

21. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Unlike Politicians......Car guys and Bikers have big hearts.

22. Blackcat333

Blackcat333

What a badass idea, Monster! A gift to a mom, a wedding present, a grandpa/grandson build, a broke student, and more to come I'm sure! You have a tough decision on your hands!

23. dniemi

dniemi

What a great opportunity for someone, I don't feel worthy of receiving it myself although I would be glad for the chance. I have a project on the go myself already, but with 7 children there is not much money to work on it. I personally think that that car only needs to be cleaned up with some paint and to be lowered and some nice shiny hubcaps. It would be a great car that's for sure.

24. maccustom

maccustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

He gets my vote too

26. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

Well I guess I'll throw in my Mercury Meteor story:

Growing up in the 90's my family had a 1963 Mercury Monterey 2-door hardtop that was torch red, lowered in the rear, chrome lake pipes, etc and was a local legend thanks to a flame-throwing kit. Later on they bought a 1963 Mercury Comet for my mom, but it was worse than they expect and quite rotted. But I didn't care, i loved that car for its fins and the tail lights. I always thought having a '63 Mercury Meteor would be cool, kind of completing a set.

On the last day of high school I found THE car - a 1963 Mercury Meteor 2-door hardtop with 36,000 original miles! It was stored away for 20 years and the owner just did $1200 worth of brake work to it. The price - $FREE$, the owner wanted it out of his garage. I called the owner only to find out there was someone that was going to take a look at it that night (Thursday). So I rushed to my parent's business and couldn't wait to tell my dad (at the time my parents were separated). I was received with a less-than-pleased father and rode my bicycle home in tears. I later called the owner and good news! The person didn't show and we scheduled to take a look at it that Saturday between 2-3pm.

True to our word, my mom, brother and I were there at 2pm (it was a 3 hour drive and my mom DOES NOT travel highways... until now) and knocked at the door asking the '63 Mercury Meteor was still there. He answered "yes, but the person who was supposed to show up on Thursday just showed up and decided to take the car". Of course I was devastated but we went and saw the car anyways. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL, off-white with a red interior and purred like a kitten. He showed me the shop manual and I was shaking! But there was a little bit of hope, as he told me if the car wasn't picked up on Monday it was mine. I was on "pins and needles" until I received the call saying the car was gone. I never wanted anything so bad before, just for it to slip through my hands.

I searched for a year, trying to find another Mercury Meteor for sale and found one. Past forward 5 years and now my '62 Mercury Meteor has seen better days - the motor needs valve guides, the transmission has "morning sickness" and the body needs work - especially in the quarter panels. I've reached a crossroads with my Meteor - fix it or find something better to work on...

27. Monster, what you might do, since this is your deal, is take all of the posts you deem worthy of the car AND can get it moved to where it needs to go. PM those people and get their information, then literally draw a name from that group from a hat. Whoever wins, wins!

28. caint believe a school would pass on that car ,looks to be in great condition.I teach collision repair at our local tech center and we dig old cars.A build like this would involve the collision, mechanics and even the graphic arts dept.With funding of tech schools like it is ,it would be awsome to build then auction/sell to raise funds for and to advertise the school.Wish yaw was closer to Alabama,good luck andGod bless.

29. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Very cool idea, indeed Monster.

Allen, AKA Rockabilly Kid; WINNER IMHO.

30. 41chevytruckinga

41chevytruckinga

Very Cool Monster!

Winner IMO: Rockabilly Kid