Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need transmission advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasonic, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Jasonic

Jasonic

Does anyone know what tranny I can bolt up to a 1957 International Pickup running the straight 6? The 3 speed is getting really tired and I have late night dreams of lower RPM's at highway speeds.

Here is a pic for inspiration. Yes it is going to remain in farm truck mode, with the exception of a little altitude adjustment.

Attached Files:

2. Marcy

Marcy

Internet search says...........borg warner T98 transmission (nearly indestructable 4 speed) :)

Marcy

3. squirrel

squirrel

if you're just looking for an extra gear for cruising at a higher speed, you might want to swap the rearend instead. It probably has the same wheel bolt pattern as some type of Ford truck, so if you can find a rear that's narrow enough from maybe a 60s vintage Ford truck, then you can put in whatever gears you want.

4. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

measure the bolt pattern and width...I've gotta 8" out of a cougar that was too wide for my car..3:00 ratio..If it helps..
    Cody

5. torpedo8

torpedo8
    BANNED
    from hell

you ever think about taking the 3 speed out, rebuilding it and swapping in some diffrent gears? then you dont have to get new driveshaft, mess with the crossmember, etc.

rearend gears would probally be the cheapest, if you can set up a ring n pinion
    but rebuilding the tranny with diffrent gears shouldnt be to much more expensive(if you do it yourself)

6. Paul2748

Paul2748

No matter what you do with a tranny, the final drive (3rd?) is still 1 to 1 unless you get an overdrive. The rear has to be changed (new gears or a new rear) to get out of the high rpm thing.

7. torpedo8

torpedo8
    BANNED
    from hell

lol, i didnt even think of that :D well the tranny sounds like it needs to be rebuilt reguardless :rolleyes:

8. Jasonic

Jasonic

The tranny does need to be rebuilt regardless. That is why I was hoping to come up with a better alternative if I am going to pull it anyway. 4 speed sounds cool. 5 speed sounds even cooler. This truck runs great, just want to make it a little easier on everything for those highway streches that I do every day.

9. squirrel

squirrel

A 4 speed won't change the final gearing, but a 5 speed probably will, assuming you get a modern 5 speed that has overdrive as 5th gear.