Register now to get rid of these ads!

man greed is a bitch....venues .....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milltownrodz, Apr 8, 2011.

1. gearheadwelder

gearheadwelder
    from CT.

I agree with Lance, everyone can have something to show at the end of an event, not arms and legs though.
    I had a great time at the last Milltown Ink show and I'll be at the next one. I no longer go to N.Y. for the GG event, but thats just me. Milltown show Gasket Goons and the Fallout all where good times and fair. They can get my money.

2. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

thanx fnj you nailed it in a few ways... nothing against the club... i hope they fix there routine man... i just cant deal with all the bullshit that i dealt with... just to much man.... so yes time to move the show..... its very important that the showgowers are comfortable to me.. the campetrs, the vendors,, everyone... those orange shirt bastards were like a dipshit mafia.. man... and to boot.. i knew nothing of the 30 orange shirt dudes til showtime.. and the way they treated folks.. skrew all that....
    and yes the food? uyu uy uy uyy . then they freaked about the food vendors.. but they could not handle the food...
    you would think after 4 ywears they would have a clue...

3. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

anyway the show is moved and i am physked to do this... hamilton rod and gun club... 24 hamilton road sturbridge mass.. xit 9 ... mass pike.. only 20 min from the ol adress....

4. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

5. Perhaps charging ten dollars is too much...does it make you greedy as well, if you turn a profit? If I wanted to live in a communist country, I'd move. Capitalism is what made this country great. Please don't confuse capitalism with greed....:cool:

6. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

Holy shit man greed has screwed us right along ! Greed is tryin to charge ya 8000 bucks to rent a place. For a low budget show ? And the bar makes way over 2o,000 ? Greed indeed ! That's not godam capitalism that's greed !

7. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I'll agree with that milltownrodz. Or a rich guy = gold chain guy

8. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

Same thing happened with Paso. The town got greedy and wanted the higher paying wine snobs in there rather than the...may I say...cooler car crowd of kustoms and hot rods. Some people's kids, I tell ya.
    Michael

9. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Hoorah

10. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Amen---when "greed" is mentioned, I think Wall Street and then bailout---the big "shows" are out of control. I support the little guy type shows.

11. Here's some greed.... The owner of Burls Creek that hosts the Barrie Automotive Flea market twice a year raised the price of a 20 x 30 foot vendors booth to $185.00 each if you pay in advance. At the gate the booth space is $220.00! Thats $220.00 for a 20 x 30 foot piece of land that you can't take home when you leave..... We used to rent 3 booths plus $50.00 for hydro for the 4 day weekend. I'm not going back.

12. thunderplex

thunderplex

...the same can be said about the April Fools Rod Run in Waycross/Hoboken, Georgia. I drove 2-1/2 hours to get there and find out they charge 35.00 bucks for a one day show (400+ cars). It's in the middle of nowhere, 15 minute lines to use the only restroom and they charged the general public 5 bucks admission. I complained about the 35 bucks (20 bucks is normal) and told them I wouldn't be back. A club member told me it all goes to charity. That's great but this club is going at it like the have a quota to fill. I did enjoy the ride and seeing friends at the show but I can do without a show like that one.

Damn, the Rod Run in Daytona (2500+ cars) only charges 45.00 and it's a four day event and includes a great swap meet.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  13. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for your move, see you at the new spot, luck to you.

14. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

ThAnx man ! I will keep it cheap ! No natter what. I believe In low buck fun ! I no longer attend a show that is 45 bucks ? That's crazy man ! Just can't afford to drive there eat ther ect ! A show that's. 10-20 is very understandable ! I pay without prob ! Tumblers NYC 20 bucks ! My pleasure ! Well my previous venue tried to cash in on the Americans there ! Guess what now they get nutting ! A fuckin softball game and make 200 bucks sold at the bar instead of 20,000 and in two days ! Huh

15. A piece of the pie is much better than none at all. People have to realize that there is just not a lot of extra cash to piss away. Keep it real for the average folk or you price yourself out of the market. Best of luck on the new venture.

16. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I'll donate a copy of HOOKED ON PHONICS,Man

17. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Lot's of times, it's not the promotors fault, It's the Greedy city and county fair grounds, With the recesion, they are alot of comercial properties that are empty, and can be rented for a resonable cost, Cheap event insurance can be obtained from the car club associations, car clubs can volentier to park cars, so promotors don't have to hire so much staff, most the security hired at fairgrounds are used to enforse people not bringing out side beverages and food, cut the car owners a little slack, most guys have to spend 200 dlls on fuel to get to a show, if you add the entry fee and you charge us 7 dlls for a soda and 10 for a burger, of coarse we are going to get pissed. I think they should let the guys with the cars, bring in their own food and beverage. I think the car clubs should aproach the promotors and see how they can help to keep cost down.If promotors won't listen, then organize and do your own show together, after all , it is a free market and we are not obligated to bend over.

18. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

Greasearama vs Goodguys in Kansas City is a great contrast.

19. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Do you have direct evidence that Milltown has a double standard? If so, please present it. Otherwise, it's called "righteous indignation".

Profit isn't the problem, but rather nickel and diming, increased fees with no improvement in service (and usually decreasing of quality), and general shitty attitudes usually are the issue. It's spreading far and wide across this once great land, ya'll...don't catch tha FEVAH!

EDIT: Ray, I just saw your follow up comment...that's what I get for not reading the whole thread before shooting off XP

I won't argue that there are those who do, indeed, have the double standard you mentioned. I don't think this is one of those times, though. Just like going to the movies....they get crappier in the same proportion that the cost of tickets goes up...wth?

20. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

ThAnx man ! I realy just love doin the show man ! And the few others I do '. Just can't have the show cost me alone money ! I don't think folks realize it's just me n grace that do milltown ! And we do it all ! It's tough man but we will not sell out ! Sure the move is a bitch ! After 4 years in one spot now all new ! Set up ! ECt ! But I did not wanna deal with the probes of last yeAr ! No way man ! So going into a new spot sure we have to deal with all new probs ? Oah well man ! We want you all to have a blast and look forward to next year ! We gave already looked aheD for 2012 ! Just incase !
    But I wanna thank you for all the pisative reinforcement on the move man ! It's for all of you !

21. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

i know a guy that has a consession business and he was telling me that the local fair grounds wanted 40% off the top of his gross before he leaves the property.

VINNIE AND GUIDO THE KNEE BUSTERS HAVE A LOWER GRAFT PERCENTAGE RATE..............

22. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Odd......I read it in a whiney little girl`s voice that got higher in pitch as the post progressed.

23. RichG

RichG

...and I read this in the voice of "Booger" from "Revenge of the Nerds".:cool:

______________________________________________________-

Glad to hear you got a new venue, hope it all works of for ya, a good small town show is priceless!

24. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

You know 99 percent of the people on the hamb are great people man ! I think that other 1 percent are just plane fucked ! Line going to a a a meeting and talkin shit when they don't even drink ! Whining voice ? Huh ! Now me I will say to a persons face as I will on a phone or email ! These cowards crack me up ! Shhh. The whining ! Now go beat yer dag and slap yer wife !
    Anyway thAnx for the support on her man ! Realy looking forward to the new venue ! Club has been there since 1912 ! Lotsa style here ! Easy to get to ' ect ect !
    Funny thing is the club I was doing the show at says it's my fault ? Jesus man ! I fought to keep it in my home town ! Diners ! Hotels ! Stores ! Ect loved it !
    We fealt good supportin my home town !
    BastRds ?

25. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

Sorry for rant its monday ! But I am gettin the ol 33 out today !

26. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Palmer's loss Sturbridge's gain. Looks like a great venue

Attached Files:

27. Voodoofire1

Voodoofire1

I hear this a lot from my campers, they go to shows all over the country and they constantly tell me how the costs have risen to the point they are curbing the shows they attend, but they always make ours, and it's getting bigger every year....3000+ cars thurs.-sun for $20 and you can cruise them inside the park all you want.... Camping?...Well I have to be there 5 days early on the saturday before to get everyone in... why?...Well it costs $25 bucks for a camping spot for 9 days, not a night.. for the whole time!... and that's for a motorhome or camper, tents and pop-ups are $15 bucks, the limited electric costs 10 bucks a day, but those costs are beyond our control, and the swap meet itself has 400 vendors.......I am proud to have been involved with this show for as long as I have, I keep hearing that this is the best and cheapest show around.... and from what I'm reading, sounds true to me........

28. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

Right in man ? Road rocket rumble ?

29. Greezeball

Greezeball

This is a small show a few hundred miles from me, it's a fundraiser for a community association and sounds cool.

"Ramsay Rocks Annual Show & Shine Father's Day June 19
    We're in the Cruise Calendar but thought I would post up here as well. Our community annual event is scheduled fopr Father's day again this year and alothough there are lts of things going on Fathers Day, no other is like this one. This is a full day family affair with tons of stuff for the kids and also live bands and stage shows all day long. There are vendor booths set up by local businesses and artists and an un-ending supply of things to keep the family busy.

Now for the best part IT'S ALL FREE!! That's right, even the show & shine. No charge to enter your car and you will be eligible for door prizes, People's Choice Award, and we will feed you all afternoon. First 25 cars also get a dash plaque. Won't cost you a cent unless you go buy someting from a vendor. Our feedback over the past few years has been nothing but positive. I guess you can't really complain when you get a free car show, free entertainment, and free food if you enter your car.

i know there are lots of sweet cars on this site so bring them out and show them off. We'd love to have you.

Time : 11am-4pm June 19
    Location: Ramsay School, 2223 Spiller Rd SE Calgary(3 blocks west of Shamrock pub)

pm me or email me at [email protected] if you are interested in entering just so I have a handle on approximate numbers."

It's as though their appreciative of the car owners that provide an attraction to draw people in to hopefully spend with the vendors. Now I understand that costs need to be covered and some money made but I don't see why an event drawing several thousand cars need to charge $75 plus additional for passengers. I also understand that a large event can literally take weeks of planning months in advance and there is a certain amount of risk to the individual sticking their neck out to put on an event. It becomes greed when an unreasonable proffit is made or expected. I knew one such individual that would make his whole year off one bike event and things still got out of hand like $100 to tent camp for the weekend and $20 for a hot dog & beer and no outside food allowed. This event caved under it's own greed and he had to find a new way to make a living.Traditionally car clubs put on shows to raise money for the club to help pay for things like the club shop rent or race car and not to line the pockets of individuals.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011