Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Ford Tudor build thread (A.K.A. seemed like a good idea at the time....)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millersgarage, Nov 26, 2009.

1. millersgarage

millersgarage

well that was expensive...........

fresh from a rebuild at my favorite transmission shop

IMG_20101217_171033.jpg

I know, I should paint the body to match the bellhousing, but it's cold in the garage, and I just want to get it in.

IMG_20101217_171051.jpg

So, we are back up and running, but I'm taking a little time off of working on the car, to enjoy the Holidays, i'll get back on it soon.

2. Good to get that broken part out of the way now! Never fun but a lot better than 100 miles from home with the Missus and the kids on board.
    Someone is looking out for you;)

3. 416Ford

416Ford

Don't listen to this guy^^, he is a terrible armchair mechanic.

Good to hear you got it fix and back together.

4. Labold

Labold

Great work, I've enjoyed reading your posts and checking out the photos.
    Nice Tudor!

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a 283 fits nicely

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. millersgarage

millersgarage

:D

thanks man

huh?

7. millersgarage

millersgarage

I finished up the brake master cylinder door
    floor 002.jpg

had to cut some strips, and bend them up to match all the curves in that area of the floorpan, then weld them to the piece I cut out. 4 blinds rivet nuts, and good to go.

Trans tunnel took a few pieces to get the shape, and it turned out good too
    floor 003.jpg

and I got this in the mail today !!!
    now I can be one of the cool kids :D
    floor 001.jpg

8. millersgarage

millersgarage

Well, more fun with the brakes.....

Now that I have reinstalled the floor panel, I put in the pedal, and linkage for the master cylinder, and again found an issue with the MBM Brakes kit :mad:

The linkage hits the mounting bolts!
    I installed the bedal bracket with the bolts going into the frame rail, so that there wasn't bolts sticking out into the transmission area. Well, the linkage hits the bolt if you install it that way. So I removed the lower one, and turned it around, so now I will need to cut the head off of that one.
    brake pedal issue.jpg brake pedal issue 2.jpg brake pedal issue 3.jpg

The bolt they supplied with the kit, for the linkage was way to long, and the spacer was way to big. All the spacer I needed was 1 washer. So I pitched theirs, and used a fastener that I knew was high quality. I am unsure as to the grade bolts came in the kit.

I bent up a hard 3/8s line for vacuum to the brake booster, and ran that along the lower firewall to the frame.
    brake vac line.jpg
    I only had double line clamps, so I need to get some more, and change these two out.

9. Mr Blue

Mr Blue
    from Florida

Looking really good! Funny how "bolt on" parts do not actually "bolt on" anymore without some kind of modification :confused:

I read this thread from the top to bottom and it has really inspired me to start on the 46 tudor that I purchased from my father recently. Your car is looking great and you should be proud. :)

Don

10. millersgarage

millersgarage

Thank you Mr Blue

I got home from work a little early, so I thought I'd sneak out to the barn and get some minor stuff done. I realized when I fired up the engine, that I was off a tooth on the distributor, so today I figured I'd pull it out and move it a tooth.

well........
    it took only 15 minutes or so to unhook everything, pull it, and drop it back in. Fired it up to check the timing with a light, and it didn't sound right, looked and I had ZERO oil pressure !!!!, shut it right down.

ratzafratzinfricken....

pull the distributor again, and the oil pump shaft came out with the distributor. I didn't get it lined up perfectly in the pump, and when I reinstalled it, the shaft just pushed up inside the distributor shaft. I see now I left off the little doohicky retainer thing that keeps the shaft in place when you remove the distributor.

So I tried to drop the shaft in from the top to the oil pump, after a few missed tries, I dropped it in, and heard it hit the oil pan.

frickenfrackenfruck

So I decided to drop the oil pan to retrieve it. Turns out I had to unbolt the steering rack to get it to drop enough to get my hand inside to get the shaft. I cannot get the pan out all the way, with out lifting the engine

ALLMIGHTYFRICKENFRACK

2 1/2 hours later I have the shaft out. now I need to figure out what all I need to unhook, to be able to lift the engine enough to get the pan out.

I need a beer

11. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

man good thread . you do nice work. and have the same kinda luck as me with the oil pump drive. ive got a 48 i bought a few years back a freind started on . and ive been needing to start on . this gives me initiative. ive been working on my fairlane alot and need to quit and start on my 48.

12. millersgarage

millersgarage

it's going back together!! :)

with a little help from "Jay is my name" I put the front clip back on the car.

Compare this photo to the one in the first post in this thread, sadly, not that much different :rolleyes:
    going back together 008.jpg

here is a good "before" shot
    going back together 011.jpg

and another back together
    going back together 019.jpg

I had to do some creative on the fly re-engineering of the radiator side mounts -- sorry, no photos of that-- to get the radiator back in. In the future, I will most likely need to make a change so that I can remove it easier, if I need to.

Now having done it, I have to say the Chassis Engineering mounts designed for this car are not a good fit. There is plenty of room between the engine and the firewall, and almost no room between the engine and the radiator. The entire engine/trans could be back and inch, and down an inch (or more) and it would have been a better fit.

A little more wiring, and we'll be hitting the road :cool:

13. Mr Blue

Mr Blue
    from Florida

Setbacks are tough to be sure. Looks like you are back on the path with all of this progress. I did a similar thing when I put the 302 together for my T bucket. I forgot to install the oil pump pushrod altogether before the oil pan went on. Realized after I turned the motor back over on the stand. Sucks to have to take everything apart. Worse when the engine is in the car as yours is. Keep the faith.

Funny about those motor mounts from Chassis engineering. I am doing a similar build to yours on my 46 tudor with a 5.0 and was going to use their mounts. Any other suggestions for mounts (other than hand fabbing up a set)?
    You are on the home stretch! Don Jr.

14. millersgarage

millersgarage

Look at the photos in post #74, you can see how much room at the rear there is, and also how little room there is at the front. I am using the same transmission as I had behind the flathead, and these mounts made me change the driveshaft length, and floor tunnel. I had made my own engine and trans mounts with the flathead.

If I had to do it over, I'd make my own mounts. Theirs "work", but knowing what I know now, I'd position them differently than their instructions, to gain clearance.

15. millersgarage

millersgarage

getting closer to being ready to go for a drive!!

Seats are back in, and Upholstery is Done
    almost done 001.jpg

a little wash job sure makes it look good in the engine compartment
    almost done 003.jpg almost done 004.jpg

pretty sure I am leaving the hood off for Cobo :D

Dash in and looking nice
    almost done 008.jpg

Well, I had to wrap things up today, have other obligations for the rest of the week, but come Thursday I'll be at Cobo Hall for the Detroit Autorama.
    SEE YOU THERE!!!

16. Mr Blue

Mr Blue
    from Florida

Got ya, I see what you mean about the clearance in the front. Still looks great though and I can't wait to see some pics or video of your first drive. Awesome! Don :)

17. I have less clearance in the front.
    I couldn't place my engine further to the back (pontiac + th350) without cutting the chassis.
    I must place the radiator futher to the front.

nice thread by the way.

18. millersgarage

millersgarage

Well, we made it Cobo!

Detroit Autorama 2011. I had planned on driving it there, but my timetable got a little tight, and I had not even driven the car around the block, so I had a buddy trailer it down.

autorama 016.jpg
    all nestled in line downstairs

cleaned up best I could without any wash areas
    autorama 061.jpg

I did find out, when leaving the building Sunday night, that I have a bad sticking throttle. So it was a really good thing that I didn't try and drive it down.

can't wait for the snow to melt, so I can take it for a spin

19. Mr Blue

Mr Blue
    from Florida

Awesome, glad you made your goal. Smart to trailer with no miles on her yet. Lots can happen on the road:)

Great Job. Don

20. Yep-your car looks good-Seen it on Sunday-Nice job:)

21. Jay is my name

Jay is my name
    BANNED

Time for an update seeing how it made it down to my driveway! Should have taken a pic.
    Sounded great pulling away.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  22. millersgarage

millersgarage

updates :(

I did go for a few drives last weekend, and put some miles on it. I got the carb tuned in good, but there are some bugs to work out.

issues 001.jpg

First, the engine starts hard when hot, and a quick underhood listening finds the carb boils the gas out, but is still cold to the touch :confused:. I did some googleing and found percolation is common with Edelbrock carbs, so I ordered one of these doohickies.
    issues 002.jpg
    I'l let you know if it works.

2nd, is the intake is leaking oil. Must have not gotten enough RTV at the ends.
    issues 005.jpg issues 007.jpg

So, off comes the intake.....

The engine runs strong, but the transmission needs some adjustments, as it shifts too soon, and doesn't always drop to 1st gear when I come to a stop. Also the engine spins about 2800 at 70 mph, so I may look into a gear ratio change for the 9"

23. awesome582

awesome582
    from Iowa

Loving the pics!

24. Mr Blue

Mr Blue
    from Florida

Glad to hear you are putting some miles on her! You might want to double check your distributor gasket (O shaped gasket under base) for your leak as well. My 302 in my T leaked there. Might be a good start before you rip the intake off. Just a thought. Don

25. millersgarage

millersgarage

you got me all excited Don, BUT.... I cleaned it, and ran it watching....and....crap, it was leaking at the manifold

started the teardown to get the intake off tonight

26. Mr Blue

Mr Blue
    from Florida

RATS!! Worth a try!:)
    Don

27. millersgarage

millersgarage

the carb spacer / heat insulator did the trick on the boiling carb.

the intake R&I and regasket took care of the oil leak

so lets hit the gas!

28. 416Ford

416Ford

I watched and listened to the video three time and could not hear the tires smoking. If your not going to smoke the tires you could have put a ch#*# in it :)
    Hopefully you can spend the rest of the summer(if it gets here) enjoying it without any problems.
    You heading to Fowlerville this weekend?

29. Great! Now you've got no excuse not to drive it to billetproof.

Hope to see you there.

30. millersgarage

millersgarage

no smokey burnouts, it's not that kind of car....:rolleyes:
    and with only 100 or so miles on the engine, there is no need to push things. It does scoot way better than the ole flatty, and sounds damn good too!

it does tach up around 2900 at 70 mph, so should not worry too much about speeding tickets :eek:

Now, I gotta clean up and paint the hinges, so I can put the hood back on it