Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. keep safe, we can wait, after all road trip photo's are good as well:D

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

2. luckydog

luckydog
    from Bel Air MD

incredible workmanship!!! very sharp.

3. Cshabang

Cshabang

OK DAN..if shes done, whats next????? I need a new fab thread to read.....

4. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Let me be the first to say Congrat.s Dan .I saw the car at billetproof today and it is even better in person than in pic,s Nobody will be surprised when I tell you Dan won best of show and best truck today at BILLETPROOF. Job well done DAN Gregg

5. Awesome to hear you made it to billetproof Dan. Congrats must be a great feeling!!

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

The pictures of it at the show I saw were great. The white top kinda threw me off... I must have missed that in the build. The top looks perfect on it though. That tri-powered Olds confirmed that it was your truck though.

Looks great, good job, and congrats on the awards.

Kevin

7. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Great job! I love your truck!!!!

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Dan and I just got in from Billetproof and he went immediately to bed as he has to get up for work in about 5 hours. But he asked me to post a quick note of thanks until he can do it properly when he gets home tonight.

To say Dan (and I) were blown away at him getting those two trophies is the understatement of the year. It was all we could talk about on the way home. I'm so happy for Dan, and want to give my thanks to those who voted for his car.

Alan and the Billetproof organization are first rate all the way. The Poorboys Club is made up of some of the nicest, kindest people to walk the earth. Glenn and the entire club went out of their way to make us feel welcome. It was so nice to see our old friends once more. It was so nice also to get to speak with everyone who stopped by his car to say nice things about it and to take pictures.

The trophies are pure works of art and mean so much to us because of the love and skill that the creators put into each one. They are proudly displayed in Dan's room already. All of you have NO idea how you touched us with your generousity and friendliness. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. The fact we got about 2 hours sleep in the past 36 hours doesn't hurt at all as we are both on cloud 9.

Dan will be on when he gets home today to say his thank you's too.

Don

9. Choptop

Choptop

The truck turned my head when it rolled through the gates and was brought up many times as we cruised around the grounds. When it came time to pick trophies it wasnt hard to find the best of show. Ya'll have shown us what its really all about, hard work, good craftsmanship and spending time with your friends and family building and enjoying traditional hot rods. Very well deserved trophies.

Congratulations!!!

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Congrats one and all. I'm very sorry I missed the show (for a variety of committments) and hope to see it in the flesh at the next opportunity. Where are you guys located? Could you let us know when you will be going to the next show or rod run? Thanx, Gary

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thats excellent news, well done young fella.

12. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

That truck just makes your jaw drop. Outstanding work and a beautiful, well-executed truck. Congrats! I'm so happy for you. Now, go get some rest...:D

13. Skirv

Skirv

Congrats Dan. I'm glad all the hard work paid off. Hope to see the RPU sometime this year.

14. 65 Hemi Coronet

65 Hemi Coronet
    from Florida

Dan and Don, it certainly was a pleasure talking with you both at length about the pickup build, it's history, and of times gone past. Congrats on your wins.....can't say I didn't tell you that you had one of, if not the nicest machines there. It was the very first car I started taking pictures of when we got there. Like I told you there, we'll be looking for a spread about it in a magazine soon. It's too nice not to have it appear in one!! The attention to detail, and love and care taken during it's build really shows. You should be very, very proud of all the hard work you put into it.
    Bob

15. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Congrats Dan ... you da man. Nice rpu.

Maybe next year for me.

Paul

16. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

HOLY COWS, what an intense couple of days! Leading up to Billetproof has been a mad scramble. Working every day, than late after work every night with my dad wrapping things up. SO many problems to overcome.

2 nights before, there was not much left really. Then, as if flipping a switch, the car wouldn't run right:mad:. It wouldn't idle at all(not from the cam:p), and sounded awful. Sounded like a fuel problem.

So my twin brother came to the shop after work, along with my dad & started working on it. They started to take the carbs apart while I worked on the many other little things left.

Thank god, there was just junk in the carbs from being in the dirty shop for so long. So they took all 3 apart, & cleaned them out. Put back together & it ran PERFECT! Thanks Dad & Don, I REALLY owe you guys.

So the night before, only had small things left. I didn't have time (or money) left to chrome the front & rear nerf bars, but I cleaned them up & cleared them to get me by.

We got the grille shell mounted finally, along with the cowl vent, and we were there. Also got the aluminum interior panels bolted in. LATE Thursday night, but we made it! Here's the interior completed:
    [​IMG]

Pulling into the show was an amazing feeling, I can't even explain. I wanted so bad to be there, & really couldn't believe that we made it, it was surreal.

Me & dad saw many old friends, & met a TON of new friends as well. We could not have had a better day!!

Well I had a little note in my rpu that said my car had won an award, & to pull it up to the stage @ 3:30...ARE YOU KIDDING??

Well to say I am shocked with what happened is a severe understatement. I am in total disbelief. The trophies from Yaril & the Poor Boys are AMAZING!! The first thing I'll see when I wake up in the morning(besides Carmen Electra:p)

I want to sincerely thank the Poor Boys Florida, the best group of guys you could ever meet. Alan, thank you for giving Florida a chance to experience Billetproof. We cannot thank you & the the Poor Boys enough for giving us this opportunity in Florida.

I also want to really thank everybody that has supported me on my build thread. You have no idea how much it motivated me to keep going.

And last but not least, my brother Don, thanks for bailing me out by cleaning out the carbs. Couldn't have made it without you. And of course my Dad. We did everything on this car together. You know I couldn't have done this without you-THANKS pops, I love you

Here's a couple pics @ Billetproof, & videos!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One of me driving it the first day we got it running a week ago:

The AWESOME trophies from Yaril & The Poor Boys:
    [​IMG]

And then pulling into to stage @ Billetproof yesterday. THANKS again guys!!!
    Dan

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  17. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Gregg,
    thank you brother, I really appreciate. congrats on your BEST HOT ROD award my friend, I am really happy for you man. It was great seeing you yesterday

I am also really happy that you FINALLY see me with a running car
    :D:D

18. mosimpson

mosimpson

Car looks fantastic Dan. Just so you know I am getting a "this video is private" on the first video in your post. Was hoping to see some burning rubber :D.

19. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man! Wow, I don't know how that YouTube video was marked "private". I THINK it is fixed now??

The burn outs are short-only a couple hundred feet between speed bumps:D:D

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The car looks and sounds awesome. It gives me a great deal of inspiration with my own 26 RPU build, although I am building it without a channel.

I wanted to ask you how you like the bomber seats ? I realize you just started driving it, but I am curious how they will work out for comfort.

I am considering the same style seats for my RPU.

Congrats on the awards, must have been a good feeling driving into the run.

21. Thanks I needed that... and now I'm really ill that I sold my Olds powered Roadster!:(

22. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That truck blew me away Dan! Thanks for all your hard work and dedication. It was a real treat to talk to you and hear all about the build. It was too easy to pick for Best of Show, your work and eye are superb. Another pat on your back is that we don't normally give two trophys to one person, it was just the right thing in your case.
    Please take some well deserved time off and enjoy driving that bad ass truck!

23. MEYER8821

MEYER8821

the RPU came out awesome man! congrats on everything!

24. congrats, on pushing through and getting it done, looks, sounds, and is awesome, and a real credit to you, and all who helped.

Cheers, and now go and do some donuts....;):D

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

25. Ya done good.

26. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang Dan!!!! That thing looks good and sounds good!!! Very nice job... can't wait to drive mine too!!! :D

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude!!! Are you kidding me!!?? That RULES!!! Yet again... Inspiration!!!

Congratulations!!!

So now what??? Time to build the Tudor??! ;):D

28. Congrats Dan!

29. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Dude I was looking at coverage of Billetproof and I saw your car in the pixs and I was
    so stoked for you!!! Congrats on getting it done...man its such a good feeling to pull into a
    show after all you have been through..and to get some awards is the icing on the cake!!
    now you will forget about all the heart aches and have the best time of your life hot rodding around!!!

Great Job!!
    Piero

30. ANewBeat

ANewBeat
    from Floriduh

Congrats again Dan! It was great to meet and talk with you and your Father. I wish I had seen this thread before the show. I really want to get another look at it now. Truly amazing work!