Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to purchase parts from HAMB members

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lan240, Apr 8, 2011.

1. TMoney

TMoney

Good thing about a money order is if you don't get your item you can put a "stop payment" on the money order and the money will come back out of their bank account and returned to you. Takes a while but you are covered that way.

2. nickleone

nickleone

PO boxes. In some areas of the country USPS does NOT deliver to your mail box.
    You must RENT a PO BOX. A friend of mine lived TOO close to the PO and had to rent a box.
    Nick

3. drj70

drj70

I just sent a guy a P.O. money order so my money is spent . I hope I get my part . and how does # of posts tell you any thing about a persons character or morals? I think this is my 5 post . we'll se if the guy with 1000 post comes thru . I trust he will.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I like the USPS M.O. Take the M.O. with you when you mail the goods, get it cashed and everyone is good to go.

Frank

5. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i always check their post count,but thats just me

6. metalman

metalman

I've bought and sold thru the HAMB classified many times and never had an issue both with MO and personal checks. I agree with Bruce, this is a small group, most of us don't want to get banned for screwing another HAMBer. Not quite like Ebay where you have all types of people with no ties.
    I do look at the post count and usally don't deal with a guy who's only involvement with the HAMB is placing ads in the classifieds and not really here for anything but peddeling parts.

7. Well it looks like he has sold quite a few things on here and has been a member for a long time, i would not hesitate one bit.

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

From a sellers point of view, I prefer not to take Paypal. Pretty much for the same reason that you would be hesitant about sending money to a seller. Who is to say the buyer will not go back and claim they did not receive the parts? Paypal backs the buyer everytime. Now if a dishonest buyer lies, they not only get the parts, but they get their money refunded. Now your out that cash, AND your parts are stolen.

9. roadster36

roadster36
    from Sonoma

I used to use paypal but their fees have become outrageous.Now is just use postal money orders or a personal check if I know who the person is.

10. My ex gf said the exact same thing to me once. ;)

And as far as money orders go. I always ask for post office money orders. I get them and cash them when I go mail the item. You really can't scam with a MO from the post office.

11. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I agreed to sell a part to a HAMBer from Canadia. He said he sent a check, I never got it, he told me it was cashed in a city about 30 miles from me. I never heard anything after that. Don't know what happened. All I know is that I never got anything.

12. spooler41

spooler41

I bought a set of wheels from a H.A.M.B.'er, Sent a personal check,told him to let it clear before shipping. Biggest problem was him finding a box big enough to ship in. The deal went smoothly,with out drama. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

................Jack

13. I have bought and sold here for many years with not a single issue. The key is communication.

If I sell a part, I always let the purchaser know when I get payment. Then, I always follow up with a PM or Email giving them a tracking number so they can track shipment.

I also ship all my parts or payments requiring signature on delivery and all parts are insured shipped.

14. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also have purchased and sold on the HAMB and the key is in fact communication.
    Never got taken and I hope if anyone thinks they were taken when dealing with me they would let me know.... I present 100% money back (minus my lawyer and beer fees of course).

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I already posted but the answer to his question is Cheaply as possible................I just figured Id be the smart ass,Lol I do wish you luck on your purchase,John

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  16. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

I'VE BOUGHT AND SOLD, AND NEVER HAD A BIT OF TROUBLE WITH A HAMB MEMBER. i THINK THERE IS A REAL BROTHER HOOD HERE. BESIDE ON THE HAMB SOMEBODY IS GOING TO KNOW HIM. :eek::eek:

17. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

i buy on the hamb all the time and have found nothing but good people and good deals.

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It's evident he's on the HAMB for one reason, to sell parts. He's not going to screw anyone on here and take the chance of getting banned. Send him whatever form of payment he wants, he's going to send you the part for sure.

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Done it many times both buying and selling--have never had a problem except once when I sent something to Australia--took a long time and the shipping was a little crazy. Hve even sent items to folks after talking with them with the agreement they would send the funds--never a problem yet

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I have bought and sold stuff here on The H.A.M.B. and made friends doing it.

You can always ask for a couple of references from the seller.

21. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

Nice thing about USPS is that you can get one where you mail it. You can always ask for references or ebay rating. Nobody wants to get ripped off. With paypal you pay for convenience.