Register now to get rid of these ads!

Probably O/T, Just got my A&P

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FormerFueler, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I know this is more than likely off topic,But I just got my A&P Certification, Which means a raise and I can FINALLY have a shot at getting a good fix for my carcaine habit,Time to buy goodies for the 53!

2. congradulations

3. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

kudos...do you work on big ones or little ones(as an A&P)?

4. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I work for Connie Kalitta on heavy maintenance,I'm the guy who gets to change landing gear and engines during a C check,I raced against Connie for 15 years when I was a clutch guy on other T/F cars and finally got tired of being on the road.So I settled down and got a "real" job.

EDIT:I guess I work on big ones,Mainly 747's.

5. chilimac

chilimac

Congrats and welcome to the club!Aviation is a bad habit you just can't shake.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You must work at Connie's repair facility in Oscoda, MI, right? My dad was stationed there when it was Wirtsmith Air Force Base, as an Air Craft Commander flying B-52's. I graduated from Oscoda High School in 1962. lots of great memories when it was an active SAC facility.
    If you haven't you should look up Coupster on here. He's a retired aircraft wrench and lives just north of town. I think he just took a job at one of the auto parts stores in Oscoda and sometimes drives his Model A to work so you might see it parked in town. If not you might PM him on here and get aquainted. I'm sure you would have a lot in common.

Frank

7. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I know him,He works at the local NAPA,And drives a very nice 31. I just drove through Bay City tonight,If possible I would like to stop by and visit next time through.

8. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Add another congratulations. I've been at it for about fifty years and don't regret having my A&P and other ratings. I wish you all the very best. And, working for Connie is a plus. I remember him well from some years ago. A tough guy, but very fair in every way. Keep learning. It never stops...or shouldn't.

9. shocker998md

shocker998md

Good job man, I've been doing sheetmetal and hydraulics for the last 4 years on the av8bs, I need to get around to getting mine.

10. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Thanks,Flatheadguy,I am sure you have seen and done most everything in 50 years of aviation. I got into aviation after many years in drag racing,I never managed to get any of Connie's money racing against him,So I figured I might as well get it working for him. He is a great guy to work for.This is the first time in a long time that I feel I have a job that won't make me "bored",And I do have to say that they do shoot VERY straight.

11. Congrats on your A&P-that is not easy to earn!
    -Mark (former defense aircraft fabricator)

12. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Thanks Mark,I grew up in Auburn Hills,OK, I never grew up,But I did live at Auburn and Adams for almost 30 years.

13. good going- I got mine outa colorado aero tech waaaayyy back in the 80's, so I know what you put into it

14. Good job!! I think hot rodding and aviation are kind of joined at the hip.
    I grew up in Wichita. Worked for Cessna and Beech and a couple of suppliers.
    Always liked working around and with aircraft.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

It has fed my family for 22 years. One word of advice. Make sure your paperwork is right and take your time. Always look at QC as an asset ,not a hinderance. No matter what anyone else tells you, they will come knocking on your door if you make a big smoking hole somewhere.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Congrats on the A&P ! Some years ago I took a metalworking class at Fournier's in the Detroit area and a classmate worked for Kalitta at Ypsilanti/Willow Run and invited me for a visit one evening. Pretty neat place to work. Is that facility still there?

I have owned several aircraft in the past 25/30 years, both spam cans and antique/classic and have had the pleasure of doing quite a bit of work on them under supervison of an A&P/IA.

Can't imagine what it takes to change out the landing gear on a Heavy! Keep up the good work and go for the IA.

Again, Congatulations.........

Ray

17. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Roothawg would know;)

Congrats on the A&P, should be a big load off of you now that the tests are done...

18. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Congratulations on getting your A&P !!!! Just remember...........It's a "License To Learn" in Aviation ! Had mine for 30+ years now and I still learn every day. That extra money for Hot Rod parts will come in handy for sure.......

19. congrats!!

i got mine through the army and work mostly on helo's, but also did alot of work on rc135's and mc12's for the airforce as well.

now im at kandahar airfield in afgan, but work on security systems....ironic!

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

congrats.

sure it is... just put together a home built, fill out the application and take the tests. lol

(for those who dont understand a little aviation tongue in cheek, that is not an easy road either)

21. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

I've been told that Connie doesn't hire anyone.
    He adopts you! :D If you make it into the fold,you're part of the family.

22. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

over thirty years an A & P myself , worthwhile endeavor and should instill a sense of pride and craftsmanship in your work on your cars.

23. Slide

Slide

My dad worked hard to get his back when I was in high school (1980s). I worked as an after school janitor at a FBO during that time, so I know what kind of deal it was watching the techs work to get theirs.

Congrats!!!

24. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I have to admit I was stressed about the testing,It all worked out.And as 51 Bird mentioned, Connie does kind of adopt us.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

33+ years at UAL. I can hardly remember going to CSM for A&P school. It was good to me. Hope you do well to.

26. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Sorry guys my ignorance is showing what is a&p? i was a grunt! thanx

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Airframe and Powerplant

28. Congrats, man. As a fellow A&P mechanic, I know first-hand the effort it takes to get that license. Lots and lots of studying. I've also got my FCC license, and that one was a bear, too. I've been in the aviation business for 30 years, and it has put roof over my head and food on the table the entire time. It's a great field full of some talented, interesting characters.

I know exactly the feeling you had when you walked out the room after passing the Oral and Practical. Best feeling in the world!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.