Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I get the axles out of my 1958 Caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Louie T, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

Im replacing my rear axle seal, its leaking diff fluid all over the brakes...I removed the drum and removed the four nuts behind the axle hub...should the axles slide out? do I have to beat on them or am i missing something...I checked and there arent any retainer clips in the diff...i thought they would slide out easily...does anybody know any "tricks" on how to pull these babies out fo the tube...much thanx

2. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I would try installing the drum loosely with lug nuts and then yanking on the drum hard. I have a slap hammer puller, but sometimes the drum trick works.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Flip drum 180 so hands fit easier.

4. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

so its supposed to be snug and it needs a little banging? i dont wanna break anything...

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just put lug nuts on till they just peak thru. Then the drum can be slid back and forth on studs. With drum against axel flange next step will be to yank drum towards you real hard. You should see axel coming out lil by lil.

6. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

okay johnny...gonna go give it a try....ill let u know...thanx for the tip...

7. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

oh by the way...does it go back in the same way...lil by lil...with a hammer?

8. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

DUDE YOU ROCK !!!!!! it came right out...thanx Bro.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thank Dane, I just followed up

10. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

okay...dane and johnny, much gratitude..and now for part two...how the heck do i get the seal out of the bearing...i know its pressed in there...any tips on how to get it out and how to put the new one in without damaging anything?

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Never messed with that rear. You say seal in bearing ? Look down the axel tube of rear end. Is there a seal that you can see. I have no referances in front of me as I'm not home. I'm sure someone from the Caddy world will jump in soon. Half the battle is over and look'n good so far.

12. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

the seal is pressed into the bearing thats spinning around the end of the axle near the hub..i just gotta get the seal out of the bearing...once again...thank u for ur help sir

13. 61bone

61bone

There is a seal inside the axle tube that seals the rear. The seals on the bearing seal onlt\y the bearing and are not removable.

14. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

okay...success...shes back together and its test drive time....thank u everybody...