Register now to get rid of these ads!

Daily driver - should I?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53 hemi, Apr 9, 2011.

1. 53 hemi

53 hemi

Ok.... I hate to ask for this kind of advice but I'm hoping the older crowd can pass on some wisdom... I've just sold everything I owned ( bikes, projects, etc..) bought a sailboat, and sailed to New Orleans to make a fresh start. I live on the boat. The only thing I kept is my number one car, the one in my avatar. Well, I've got about $1500 to buy a new vehicle here, no garage anymore, just a parking lot in front of the marina. I had intended to buy an older truck and just fix that up. I stored the car in my dads barn in New York. Well, I've had the dodge for long enough to square it away and for the last few summers regularly took it for 600 mile round trips with no worries. Should I just go get it and drive it on down here and use it for my daily?

2. Depends on the length of the daily drive but on the face - yes.

Poverty leaves an impression

3. 39 Ford

39 Ford

If you are going to have a unique lifestyle why not drive a unique car!

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Salt air eats old tin like a cajun eats crawdads!!!!!

5. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

its a car isnt its soul purpose in life to be a daily driver ? im sure it would make the car and the people who built it very happy if it were daily driven.

6. slammed

slammed

Yes, do it. And buy a car cover. Sail on sailor!

7. 53 hemi

53 hemi

You guys are really making feel good! Ok - ship it, or fly up and drive it?

8. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Drive it home. . .

9. 53 hemi

53 hemi

Mis spelt post

10. racer32

racer32

Hitchhike up and drive it back.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh hell yes! Fly back to NY and drive that puppy to N'awlins. Just take a tool box and a buddy just in case. Drove the '56 F100 that is my avatar with a fresh 429 and untested top loader 4 speed from Virginia to San Diego back in '96. ( note the U-Haul trailer behind it). Great trip, just a couple problems, cooked starter from the headers, bought a new one from a parts store in Wakeenee, Kansas, changed it at the curb, and a couple collector gasket leaks but it was a blast! Got a lotta thumbs up from people and really enjoyed the ride.
    You'll never forget it if you do it thats for sure. Take some pics and post 'em! Plus you have the benefit of our brothers on the HAMB. I'm sure someone will help if you have a problem somewhere. You ain't gone yet? :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  12. by all means drive it. back in the middle 80's, i drove a 64 el camino all over. ny to cali, wa to fla, canada to texas. every break down was an adventure. people asked me how i could trust an old car that much. i just told them i'd do the same with a new car, and since the el camino was new to me, it had better keep up.

13. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

heres one for you. i had to sell one of my old cars to get my ex, together at the time, a newer car. she was sick of the old cars breaking down. i have had more problems w the "new" car then any old car and they were all daily drivers. if its got an engine in it thats hard to find parts for, start stocking up. you will feel a lot better changing a starter in the parking lot then trying to figure out something that has to do with gay ass computers. go get that car and drive the hell out of it. thats what they were meant for:)

14. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Go for it, and this comes from somebody else living on a boat in FL.

15. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

You will have the coolest car parked in the marina parking lot.Cars were built to drive,go for it ! Nice ride man.

16. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Go get that puppy and welcome to New Orleans..........

17. MorMetal

MorMetal

It's a no brainer. Fly up and drive it back. I think you are mentally prepared for the adventure, no matter what happens.

18. Fly home and drive that badboy to N.O. You're adventurous enough to drop everything and sail from NY to LA... so why not drive your classic car down there? Take it slow and scenic, stock up on tools and spare parts... and enjoy the journey. If you're worried about the salt air, see about finding a garage to rent near the marina (and pedal or walk there when you need the car). In the short term, a decent car cover will do to keep the metal cancer at bay.

19. 53 hemi

53 hemi

I guess this decision is pretty much made... I'll probably go up in two weeks. I love this site! Pug Man - I don't know too many people here, and no car people. Love to get together for a beer some time!

20. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

i agree with wolfhound. you drop all and sail to new orleans and your worried about driving a reliable old car from ny to la? i mean, did you worry your boat would sink? or that you would turn left at miami?
    if you want to be real adventurous, and have the time (which i suspect you do), ride the bus and save some money. that by itself will be an adventure to tell about as well.

21. brewster55

brewster55

haha, if it made it through life in ny, i think it can handle some salty air.

i say go for it.

22. I would do it. I have had numerous late models and have had troubles with all of them (except one). I now have my '56 Ford as my daily and only problem I ever had since owning it was a broken u-joint and a broken o-ring in the carb. I have driven it everywhere. I drove it from Regina, SK to San Jose CA and it was the best thing I ever did in my life. Life is different behind the wheel of an old car. It is much better. Go getter and drive the shit out of her!

23. Go for it! I took my new to me 59 GMC on a 750 mile round trip with my two sons, 4 and 8, so I think you'll be fine. If you have the stones to sail that far then a road trip with a familiar car will be a breeze. I'd just inspect the braking system and make sure some crucial steering components are not ready to eject!

How about posting pics of the journey?

24. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Drive it on home.

25. I say drive it down there and use it daily. I wouldn't park it anywhere outside however. Road salt is nothing compared to the corrosive effect of salt air. We have a beachhouse on the Gulf and everything metal inside the house gets rusty in a few years. Metal items left outside usually begin to show deterioration within a year. In short, if people that live on the Gulf coast can put their car in a garage they do so. There are some cajuns on here, maybe one of them will post some advice on how to slow the rusting process.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My only concern is the parking arrangement at the marina. I'd never sleep wondering if it might eventually get stolen in an open lot. Just too many nice old cars being stolen lately.

27. All cars were meant to be daily drivers when they were new.

28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If it can make a 600 mile trip, it can do a 1500 mile trip, as well as a 30 mile trip. Go get your car

29. Moondog13

Moondog13

Hey! Nothing wrong with Miami, lots of old car people here, hot women and good food! Great weather too! Good one though! Hahahah! :D

I agree with all the others, drive her home! I lived in St. Augustine, Fl. for a year and used to drive my Impala down to Miami to visit the folks and friends regularly (although it was only 322 miles). Nothing like a nice road trip, just you and your car to liven the soul. :D

30. 62rebel

62rebel

throw a curve ball; go buy a motorhome and tow the dodge back. not a new one, an '84 like the one i bought in Ga back in March..... 454 chevvy chassis.... six ton Corvette. (hey, it's got a 454 and it's fiberglass.)